What we don't know.

Started by wm.annis, December 22, 2009, 08:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sefuheron

You know, I can't help but notice that there are no adjectives for colours at all. Curious :)
Yom yom yom. Txonti swiräl.

omängum fra'uti

Well they exist, we just don't have them in our vocabulary.

I know they exist because I was reading an interview with Dr. Frommer and he said one time Cameron came to him to get a line translated for a Na'vi telling a story about when they got bit in their "big blue butt".  He had a word for "big" and "blue", but none for "butt" so he created txìm then.

So, there's certainly a color for blue.

I wonder if that line is actually in the movie, said by a background character or something.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Eywayä mokri

If you take a look at the glossary, you'll see that we already have two colors, that are blue and yellow. ;)

blue           ean
yellow   rim
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

sefuheron

Ha, that's kinda funny.

I actually found them just before checking back in here... guess I couldn't find any because of the ones I was hunting. But it's all good. Glad to know that there are at least a couple for now. Makes you have to be more creative.
Yom yom yom. Txonti swiräl.

omängum fra'uti

So...

ean-a txìm a-tsawl
blue-ADJ butt ADJ-big
Big blue butt

Is what James Cameron was asking for which ended up with us having butt in the vocabulary. :)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Karyu Amawey

I wish they could publish the Na'Vi book they had in the movie, written by Grace.  That looked intense, and I hope that one day the development of Na'Vi fills a book like that!
Oel ayngati kameie

Zamungeyu Kxitxä

Omatikaya is the BLUE flute clan how is ean even in the name??

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

I think the name 'Omaticaya' is just a term. no real meaning. I think. Olo is not in the name either :)
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Ikran

...or maybe it meant "blue flute clan" in an ancient version of the language. Languages keep changing all the time, and Na'VI shouldn't be an exception.

...or maybe there's a developed honorific/sacred version of the language with different verbs and nouns...

...or...who knows?  ::)

Toruk Makto

Good lord, it is hard enough (for me, anyway) without pondering that it has CHANGED to it's current form from something we haven't seen yet.

My brain is melting!    (but in a good way)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

karaipyhare

Quote from: Ikran on December 29, 2009, 07:10:27 AM
...or maybe it meant "blue flute clan" in an ancient version of the language. Languages keep changing all the time, and Na'VI shouldn't be an exception.

...or maybe there's a developed honorific/sacred version of the language with different verbs and nouns...

...or...who knows?  ::)

Yes! Maybe "ean" the current word for blue derives from the "om" part of Omatikaya.
So we can trace the history: /o/ -> /ea/  /m/ -> /n/

Brainiac

I thought olo'matekaya sounded quite feasible as well :)
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Plumps

Does anybody know whether there is a plan to officially publish something like a book for learners or a guide to the language as they did with Star Trek's Klingon?
It wouldn't necessarily reduce the guess work on the whole but at least the holes in our knowledge of the language would be closed a bit ...

I'll keep my fingers crossed  :)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Plumps83 on January 01, 2010, 01:16:11 PM
Does anybody know whether there is a plan to officially publish something like a book for learners or a guide to the language as they did with Star Trek's Klingon?
It wouldn't necessarily reduce the guess work on the whole but at least the holes in our knowledge of the language would be closed a bit ...

I'll keep my fingers crossed  :)

OMG OMG OMG! (squeeeee!! like a 15 year old girl at any Twilight movie premiere) A question I can finally answer!

"Stand back boys, I got this one."

(ahem . . .)

Okay, as I understand it, the Na'vi language currently consists of around 500 "known" words (outside of Paul Fromer), but wikipedia says it is up to about 1,000 words (insert time and date stamp here). Grammar is officially "under construction," and mostly known by Fromer, with the exception that there are several expert linguists and linguiphiles ("Mr. Lamar, you use yer tongue better than a twenty dollar whore." --from Blazing Saddles) who are hard at work helping skxawngs like me understand how to even begin learning this language. The end result is that a race WILL ENSUE at some point to create the first, and then "the best" guide to Na'vi. Official licensing will be a FOX issue of course. So expect one soon--as FOX wants people speaking Na'vi so they can make movies, spin off TV shows (probably 4-5 years hence) and sell a TON of licensing rights (video games, trivia games, "Star Wars like" novels, toys, tee shirts, posters, philosophy books, etc). Speaking of which, I would like to make it known that I, officially coined the term "Don't go green in 2010! Go blue!" yesterday--just in case FOX claims that later.

Now the good news:

The flash cards available for Na'vi are simple and easy to use. They don't (as of yet) help with pronunciation, but for simple spot recognition (pattern awareness necessary for learning languages and concepts) they are fun and easy. It's a small program you can keep running, as long as you are connected to the internet. I would say one or two words at a time, a few times a day, and allow the repetition to sink in over the coming month, and you will be writing Na'vi words in no time.

IMHO, it is probably best, given the state of Na'vi development, and the demands on J.C. to make half a dozen more Avatar movies (that hopefully won't go the way of Star Wars, or Indiana Joke 4), to start learning words, and don't kill yourself with the grammar. Grammar is important--but not at the expense of stressing yourself.

It is so much easier for me to correct you by saying "You said Eat Batman pie, when you should have said Batman eats pie," than it is to try to teach you words to insert into your grammar, especially when grammar is developing.

I would download or bookmark everything free while it is still free (Dictionary, Grammar jpeg, Wikipedia pages, etc.), but don't overwhelm yourself. If you can get a study-budy, that helps. In addition to the flash cards, start with super easy words that you will use often, such as Irayo (thank you). Will your pronunciation be off sometimes? Probably; but that is SMALL POTATOES to not knowing words. Not knowing words is the absolute worst. It is a crippling thing that eats at your self worth and motivation.

I am trying to start a beginning beginners super easy beginning (non-threatening) group to help idiots like me (and those more intelligent than myself) to have fun helping each other learn quickly and without stress. this would mean a LOT of examples and pronunciation help. But a boy can dream, right?
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Plumps

Quote from: dustywhite on January 01, 2010, 01:58:27 PM
[...]
Okay, as I understand it, the Na'vi language currently consists of around 500 "known" words (outside of Paul Fromer), but wikipedia says it is up to about 1,000 words (insert time and date stamp here). Grammar is officially "under construction," and mostly known by Fromer, with the exception that there are several expert linguists and linguiphiles ("Mr. Lamar, you use yer tongue better than a twenty dollar whore." --from Blazing Saddles) who are hard at work helping skxawngs like me understand how to even begin learning this language. The end result is that a race WILL ENSUE at some point to create the first, and then "the best" guide to Na'vi. Official licensing will be a FOX issue of course. So expect one soon--as FOX wants people speaking Na'vi so they can make movies, spin off TV shows (probably 4-5 years hence) and sell a TON of licensing rights (video games, trivia games, "Star Wars like" novels, toys, tee shirts, posters, philosophy books, etc). [...]
Sounds good to me ... but up to this point it's mere speculation - and admit it ;) you know it is! :)

As far as I know my Star Trek that's the way it went with Klingon ...  :-\ but I don't want to wait 30+ (no that plus doesn't need lenition :P) years until someone at FOX has the brilliant idea of how to make even more money out of Avatar merchandise and then decides to publish an official book - I want it now, I want it all!!! ;D

Concerning the Flash Cards ... I think with Anki you can add audio-files to your flash cards.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

wellll, howdy!   :)

Me thinks FOX has learned from Star Wars and Harry Potter (WB) how to soak the public for all of their available cash--AND--if you haven't seen the geniuses at work here (who will undoubtedly become the front-runners for the new Na'vi books), you might be surprised at how quick the first real applications roll off the shelves. (Na'vi Wii anyone? I said it first!!)

As to audio files, where would the sample pronunciations come from? Has someone already recorded some? (wheee!)

And I have managed to find three new instructional videos and the talknavi site just now, so I will be spending my "weekend off" trying to gain traction. I am already converting these videos to iPod format, so I can listen to them at work on Monday.

Eltu si! Srak! Srak!
(Listen/pay attention! -- Yes! Yes!)

2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Plumps

Ahoi-hoi,

;D always a delight to read your posts. Hard laughing-alert every time ;)

Quote from: dustywhite on January 01, 2010, 03:22:45 PM
[...]
As to audio files, where would the sample pronunciations come from? Has someone already recorded some? (wheee!)
[...]
Well, from you of course :) ... I'm not working with Anki primarily but I guess if somebody would record it who thinks s/he's good with the pronunciation then I'm sure there're ways that these files will reach you ;)

Eltu si! Srak! Srak!

That's a good motivation phrase - we should make it our mantra! . . . and yes: you said it first :D

Beduino

Eltu si! Srak! Srak!

I don't want to be the boring guy, but srak is a particle to mark a yes/no question.  ;)

for "yes", use "Srane! Srane!" :D
tsun ngal tslam fì'uti srak?

Plumps

Quote from: Beduino on January 01, 2010, 04:01:58 PM
I don't want to be the boring guy, but srak is a particle to mark a yes/no question.  ;)

for "yes", use "Srane! Srane!" :D

How is that "boring" when in fact it's very helpful and the reason why we are all here?! To learn from each other ;)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Plumps83 on January 01, 2010, 03:44:00 PM
Ahoi-hoi,

Well, from you of course :) ... I'm not working with Anki primarily but I guess if somebody would record it who thinks s/he's good with the pronunciation then I'm sure there're ways that these files will reach you ;)

Hey! I downloaded the three instructional videos! (um . . . then I took a bath, did some reading, forgot to watch them . . . but I set them p for my iPod (they are Real Payer files). I am hoping they have pronunciation help. Anyone reading this: More videos please!!