Ski'vaah?

Started by Hiyìk Taronyu, January 01, 2010, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiyìk Taronyu

In the movie, you hear Jake shouting ski'vaah. I assume it means leave, but I cannot find the word in any of my dictionaries.

Irayo
Strange Hunter

Taronyu

Hey.

That's from ska'a. Sk<iv>a'a is what you hear, but I'm pretty certain it ought to be sk<ìy>a'a, as the first is subjunctive, and the second is imminent future. I'm not sure what to do here, but I've thought about it a fair amount...

omumyu

skìyeva'a is what i would guess.  I would think it would translate to a command for "destroy!" seeing as ska'a means destroy.

Taronyu

Quote from: omumyu on January 01, 2010, 10:49:42 AM
skìyeva'a is what i would guess.  I would think it would translate to a command for "destroy!" seeing as ska'a means destroy.

Where are you getting the infix <ev> from?

omumyu

I can't remember exactly where I learned it from but as far as I know <ev> is a subjunctive inffix.
It is in k<ìy><ev>ame in other words "I hope to see you very soon"  It is not certain and thus subjuntive is used.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty certain that <ev> is subjunctive.

Taronyu

Quote from: omumyu on January 01, 2010, 11:05:20 AM
I can't remember exactly where I learned it from but as far as I know <ev> is a subjunctive inffix.
It is in k<ìy><ev>ame in other words "I hope to see you very soon"  It is not certain and thus subjuntive is used.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty certain that <ev> is subjunctive.

That's brilliant. That's not on the wiki page, and I haven't seen it anywhere else (I saw a thread on it a while ago, maybe i should have read that more closely.)

<iv> is the subjunctive. <ev> there is uncertain, but that's a start. We don't have it anywhere else, but in an un-sourced tevaron, on wikipedia. It's not in any of the words in the dictionaries. Hmmmmmm.

Maybe it means "again" - some sort of future repetition of this action? Or perhaps it's a sort of question, or statement of varying certainty in future events.

I don't think that sk<ìy><ev>a'a would be a proper transcription of his utterance, though...

omumyu

<ev> means again? That sounds familiar.  You are probably right.
Also, what would be the proper way to say sk<ìy><ev>a'a?

Taronyu

Quote from: omumyu on January 01, 2010, 11:32:11 AM
<ev> means again? That sounds familiar.  You are probably right.
Also, what would be the proper way to say sk<ìy><ev>a'a?

It shouldn't sound familiar, I think I'm the first to address that. That would be "_subj___ will destroy _obj__ soon again."

omumyu

Then I probably got it from you.  ;D

Hiyìk Taronyu

So it would most probably be "Soon to be destroyed" if we were to try and make it english? That would fit in to the plot of the movie as well

Taronyu

Quote from: Hiyìk Taronyu on January 01, 2010, 12:19:40 PM
So it would most probably be "Soon to be destroyed" if we were to try and make it english? That would fit in to the plot of the movie as well

If you meant my proposed sk<ìy>a'a, instead of sk<iv>a'a, then yes. The problem is that it really does sound like <iv>. This may be another use that we don't know. <iv> itself is contested, anyway.

Coda

Just had a thought - what if the <ev> infix is a contraction of the subjunctive and laudative infixes?

k<ìy><ei><iv>ame
k<ìy><ev>ame

Taronyu

Quote from: Coda on January 01, 2010, 02:58:01 PM
Just had a thought - what if the <ev> infix is a contraction of the subjunctive and laudative infixes?

k<ìy><ei><iv>ame
k<ìy><ev>ame

This wouldn't work. K<ìy><ev>am<ei>e is the correct placement. I doubt it would jump over a placement and then morph...

Coda

Oeyä tìkxawng.  I forgot about the second infix position.

Beduino

Fpi Eywa! I'm getting lost with all those possible infixes! xD
Which ones we got till now?
tsun ngal tslam fì'uti srak?