Frommerian words from NYTimes

Started by Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan, March 10, 2010, 11:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

I'm not sure the second one is going to be used very often but I'll certainly use the first one a lot!

Computer -> eltu lefngap
Lawers -> pängkxoyu lekoren

Thank's Karyu Pawl!

Source: http://schott.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/questions-answered-invented-languages/

PS: He mentioned learnnavi.org in there :D
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Taronyu

The first is an official word, actually. Frommer liked prrton's suggested so much he made it canon.

Swoka Swizaw

omängum fra'uti

The a can be left off when using le on the following word.  So any of these three would mean the same thing...

eltu lefngap
eltu alefngap
lefngapa eltu
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 11, 2010, 06:08:25 PM
The a can be left off when using le on the following word.  So any of these three would mean the same thing...

eltu lefngap
eltu alefngap
lefngapa eltu

Tewti. Oel 'uti nolumeie.

Tirea Aean

I also noticed the word for stomach in there: ngäng. i didnt see this in the dictionary so i figured id post it here after finding it in the article.

Plumps

Good catch ... but is that a noun or a verb? Not very clear on that...

Tirea Aean

I'm pretty sure it is the noun for the stomach, as "to stomach something" seems idiomatic to me? that is, it could have been more accurately defined as something other than stomach if it were a verb. IMO of course.

Plumps

roger

glossed "N".

Not clear if it's the organ or the belly, but presumably the former.

All new words such as this should be included at WB; please let me know if I've missed any.

Txonyä'ite

Getting the word for lawyer is very exciting to me! New business cards here i come!

roger

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on March 23, 2010, 09:49:29 AM
Getting the word for lawyer is very exciting to me! New business cards here i come!

"Lawyer" was a proposal to Frommer, but AFAIK not accepted by him, at least not officially for now.

Ftiafpi

Well, it does kind of seem to fit for now. I mean "chatter of rules", can't get much better than that.

Txonyä'ite

Well... i guess I can hold off on the Na'vi business cards for a little while....

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: roger on March 23, 2010, 09:22:41 AM
glossed "N".

Not clear if it's the organ or the belly, but presumably the former.

All new words such as this should be included at WB; please let me know if I've missed any.
I actually think it's the latter...  As in, the opposite of "back" txal.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on March 23, 2010, 09:49:29 AM

Oh, please don't tell me you are one of those! We are going to have to just feed you to a palulukan ala 'Jurassic Park'  ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Txonyä'ite

Don't worry, I am a second year law student so still 2 more semesters. I won't be a bad one though, do you know how hard it is to catch an ambulance when you are in heels? ;D

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on March 23, 2010, 02:34:49 PM
Don't worry, I am a second year law student so still 2 more semesters. I won't be a bad one though, do you know how hard it is to catch an ambulance when you are in heels? ;D

LOLZ!
私は太った男だ。