Pamrelfya a'Eoio

Started by Prrton, September 02, 2010, 08:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'eylan na'viyä

unfortunately there seems to be a not only a limit for each post but also one for the thread.
you can look at the images in the gallery here:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/mgallery/?sa=album;id=103

Numbers
i also made examples for numbers but i some new ideas after taking the photos. i will make new ones later.

Mounting
These are all ways of how to mount leaves if they are not already in the right place that i found up to now.

they are also in the gallery:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/mgallery/?sa=album;id=103

I will try to make a comprehensive sheet when it everything is more complete and probably also add schematic images which will likely be clearer.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The leaf-code idea reminds me of another race (and conlang)-- Kizinti. Like the Na`vi, the Kizinti are felinoid, but much more so. They look like ligers that walk upright.

Whenever a Kizinti would make a kill, they would mark some portion of it (that wasn't eaten right away) with their claws. Each Kizinti had their own pattern of claw marks. So, if another Kizinti saw some 'food', they would know whom it belongs to. Over time, this claw-mark system evolved into a written language. From this basic language, a more sophisticated script arose, and that is what they use today (They are a highly technological society with starships, etc.). But the claw-mark system is apparently still used for some things. Both are available as downloadable fonts, which you can use for simple transliteration. Sadly, the Kizinti language needs lots of work, and that is where I am going after I thoroughly master Na`vi.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

'eylan na'viyä

thanks for the insight ma `Eylan Ayfalulukanä.

Now i have images of all letters(except diphthongs) of the alphabet. I'm not completely happy with all of them yet but i think its ok for a first "evolutionary step". Anyway you have to play around with this a bit to find out how practical which letter is.
[smg id=1193]
[smg id=1194]
pdf: vulaluvur_alphabet.pdf

Tirea Aean

using pictures of leaves to write? ridiculous. XD (but interesting)

Plumps

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on September 21, 2010, 10:48:22 PM
Quote from: Plumps on September 18, 2010, 11:38:46 AM
Fìkem si ayolo' na'rìngä tompayä mì 'Rrta nìngay ... Ke tsun ziverok slä tsalme'a fì'ut 'awlie fwa saronyul fayfne'upxaret txolìng fte eykivomum saronyur alahe fu suteru ta olo' alahe tsenget a ultxa sivi fohu. Lu 'awsiteng fa tìngusop ayutraltsyìpit fu leykatem ayvulit (netrìp tsat ngal fìkem ke seiyi) slä tìkan lu tengfya.

This is actually done by rain forest tribes ... I can't remember where it was but I saw a documentary once where hunters left exactly these kind of messages to inform other hunters or people from another tribe where to meet. It also involved reshaping whole bushes or breaking/modelling branches (which you didn't do, thank you very much) but the outcome is the same. Perhaps not a real alphabet but at least coded messages that get the meaning across ;)

Tewti!
i wondered if this would be used by any tribe or civilisation.
Do you maybe remember any other details from that documentary so i could search for it?

the continent, what was else in the documentary, language of the documentary, when and where it was sent, or anything else

I'm sorry, I don't remember ... I have a vague feeling that it was South America in the Amazon region but I'm really not sure. Oeru txoa livu.

BTW ... this becomes more like a project in its own right. Perhaps you should think about opening your own thread to gain the recognition it deserves ;)

Prrton

Quote from: Prrton on September 17, 2010, 01:07:20 PM
Quote from: Plumps on September 17, 2010, 02:46:26 AM

I don't think there is the possibility in Na'vi to form a question out of a normal sentence by intonation, e.g. 'he comes here often' => 'he comes here often??' But if I'm wrong there, please let me know.

I have never seen any example of a question created with intonation, but Japanese does it even though it's a bit counter-intuitive based on the expectation set up by the grammar. Like Na'vi, Japanese has -ka (か) at the very end of sentences marking questions. They RARELY use a question mark, although they've borrowed it from the West and have it available to them. They do, however, form questions with rising intonation.

Are (you intending on) going?

Iku ka. (standard question)
 Iku no. (softer/informal/feminine question marker)
 Ikú. (colloquial, and common to both male and female speech)

Japanese has an important pitch system, but is not tonal.

Thai is tonal. It doesn't do that per se. However a very common question word, mai (ไหม) is itself in a rising intonation. It is also a homophone with the word "silk".

This issue has definitely been answered by K. Pawl now.

Na'vi questions cannot be formed by intonation of the voice alone. The presence of pe-/-pe or srake/srak is required in the sentence.

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Prrton on October 07, 2010, 06:42:33 PM
The presence of pe-/-pe or srake/srak is required in the sentence.

I hope there is no difference between pe- and -pe and between srake and srak ???
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kemaweyan on October 07, 2010, 06:48:49 PM
Quote from: Prrton on October 07, 2010, 06:42:33 PM
The presence of pe-/-pe or srake/srak is required in the sentence.

I hope there is no difference between pe- and -pe and between srake and srak ???

I do believe there is NO DIFFERENCE. they be allomorphs.

pe, no matter if pre or post, is always unstressed. and srak is just srake without the e. like tseng is tsenge without the e.

Kemaweyan

Yeah.. that's like rule and we always used those so. But I don't remeber any official confirmations :)

Prrton

Quote from: Kemaweyan on October 07, 2010, 06:54:55 PM
Yeah.. that's like rule and we always used those so. But I don't remeber any official confirmations :)

I haven't seen him write out the rule explicitly, but I asked him about it he confirmed it verbally to me.

I'm sure that YOU know this, ma tsmukan, but it may be good to point out for others that if a question word with pe-/-pe is already in a sentence, then it should not also have a srak/srake in it.

Prrton

Lefkrra txeleri fontä fko kop lu lenomum.  ;)

'Uot ngolop, srak?

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Prrton on October 07, 2010, 06:59:43 PM
I haven't seen him write out the rule explicitly, but I asked him about it he confirmed it verbally to me.

Irayo :) That was my first question on this forum: what the difference is between pesu and tupe :) And now I've gotten official answer. Irayo nìmun :D

Quote from: Prrton on October 07, 2010, 07:06:52 PM

'Uot ngolop, srak?

Oeru txoa livu. Tìkangkemìri trray oe 'asyi'a ulte tsakrr oe kan nìmun sivulìn fìkemìri ;)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kemaweyan on October 07, 2010, 06:54:55 PM

I'm sure that YOU know this, ma tsmukan, but it may be good to point out for others that if a question word with pe-/-pe is already in a sentence, then it should not also have a srak/srake in it.

well i didnt think that sentences like

which[person, place, thing, time, reason, way] is [___]?

would be eligable to be a yes/no question, therefore srake wouldnt make sense. vice versa: how many yes/no questions ask which _______?

BUT!

how bout this one:

"do you know which way he went?"

hawhaww oh but the question is REALLY: "do you know the way he went?" so yeah i cant find anything that would refute the

pe + srak = fail

thing..

Kemaweyan

I think it's possible to create the sentense with pe- and srak together :D

Furia pesìketeng mìkam fìmelì'u lu, srekrr polawm tuteo srak?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kemaweyan on October 07, 2010, 07:14:13 PM

hmmm skxakep:

polawm tuteo srekrr san pesìketeng a mìkam fìmelì'u sìk srak?

Prrton

It is possible to create them if there are two clauses that logically fit together that way, but what I should have clarified better is that we must avoid the danger of simple sentences like:

*Pehrr yayom wutsoti fìtxon srak?

It is easy to fall into that mistake if you know a language like Japanese that marks all questions with a sentence final marker like か (ka), even if they already contain a question word.

Thanks for the great examples and better explanation than I gave.  :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Prrton on October 07, 2010, 07:28:27 PM

It is possible to create them if there are two clauses that logically fit together that way, but what I should have clarified better is that we must avoid the danger of simple sentences like:

*Pehrr yayom wutsoti fìtxon srak?

It is easy to fall into that mistake if you know a language like Japanese that marks all questions with a sentence final marker like か (ka), even if they already contain a question word.

Thanks for the great examples and better explanation than I gave.  :D

I figured THAT is what you were talking about...but i kinda saw this coming ;)

Prrton

Quote from: Kemaweyan on October 07, 2010, 07:10:11 PM

Irayo :) That was my first question on this forum: what the difference is between pesu and tupe :) And now I've gotten official answer. Irayo nìmun :D

Quote from: Prrton on October 07, 2010, 07:06:52 PM

'Uot ngolop, srak?

Oeru txoa livu. Tìkangkemìri trray oe 'asyi'a ulte tsakrr oe kan nìmun sivulìn fìkemìri ;)

Txantsan! Slä rutxe rä'ä 'ivefu nìfya'o a lu tìkino a win säpivi.   :)

Tsranten oer fwa fìtxeleri tsun nga kem sivi nì'o' nì'aw.

Kemaweyan

Today I had a chance to work with font. I've added some symbols, so 16 glyphs already are made:

Prrton

Quote from: Kemaweyan on October 10, 2010, 08:28:51 PM
Today I had a chance to work with font. I've added some symbols, so 16 glyphs already are made:

Txantsan!!

Set hivahaw nìmwey!

:)