Translating Hamlet.

Started by kewnya txamew'itan, January 04, 2010, 08:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eltu Lefngap Makto

'Ivong, Na'vi!

KalaKuival

Hmm. Although I don't really see the point of adding these things to the scenes (as they are not very informative, and none of us is going to start analysing this piece nìNa'vi, and editing is totally fine without) I agree it does make it more fancy. ;D However, let's not forget that the wiki is currently actually only the place where we format and edit the play. Hopefully we can make some e-book of it where we could add these kinds of things later.  ;)

Ma Eltu Lefngap Makto, do you have any interest to join the project, even if only the editing side? Because we still need to figure out the way to well present the missing or interpreted words so that it would be actually easy to find them (maybe even relate?).  :)

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Yes, I am (interested in editing)!

I have started another wiki, not with the hopes of competing, but as a demo of some of the functionality we could have on w.ln.org
http://navi.referata.com/wiki/Hamlet/Act_1/Scene_1/Enter_Bernardo

Whether or not we ever go with that level of detail, line numbers will become important so we can find our place.  In that regard, I found this link:
http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/play_view.php?WorkID=hamlet&Scope=entire&pleasewait=1&msg=pl#a1,s1
'Ivong, Na'vi!

KalaKuival

Okay, sadly, I'm no expert in this programming thing so I really don't understand all about the features your wiki has.

Line numbers are indeed important, could save up lot of space in the phrases section. About this link, I don't know whether the line numbers actually match with the one we're having, so maybe they could be added manually? :D

Anyway, welcometo the project. Would just like to remind you, that whatever edits you do, please mark them to the scene page and also the home page discussion so that we could have everything in one place.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

---
The benefit of what I've got going on my wiki is that the parsing (i.e. samsiyuä = genitive plural of tsamsiyu) is plainly evident.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

KalaKuival

Ma Eltu Lefngap Makto could you somehow start organizing the line numbers (after every 5 lines) in front of the english lines and make it look nice (in the first act)?

I think it would be useful because the line numbers I've used to calculated the % doesn't match. During the process maybe you could aslo check whether the % is more or less correct or not? :)

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I think the best way would be invisible tables.  That's the only way I can see to keep it something like this
http://www.shakespeare-navigators.com/hamlet/H11.html

As it stands, I am once again waiting for Seabass to grant me admin access.  The man takes about three weeks to answer email.  :(
'Ivong, Na'vi!

KalaKuival

Great! I love the example you got there, seems just fantastic! I just don't know whether we should have the line numbers for each and every line though

So just start dealing with this whenever you get the chance or have the will, there's plenty of time :)

eejmensenikbenhet

Here's something I came across during proofreading:

English: | Old (current) translation: | My thoughts:
When yond same star that's westward from the pole | krr a tsatanhì a tìnulatan sim | pxaw krr a tsatanhì fula tok sim tsatsengit
Had made his course to illume that part of heaven | ralmikx fte tsivun atan sivi tsahapxìru | ralmikx fte tsaw tsivun atan sivi tsatxkxeviru
Where now it burns, Marcellus and myself, | a atan lu set, Marcellus sì oe... | a peyä atan tok set, Marselusì sì oe,

What do you think?

KalaKuival

Hmm, I would suggest this kind of correction. When there really is not a term for something that would make it understadable for the reader, don't hesitate to add the --- in between. Nipxi with the different terms like North Pole or something like that. We will fix those things with the group proofreading in the future.  ;)

When yond same star that's westward from the pole - krr a tenga tanhì a sìm pumur ---
Had made his course to illume that part of heaven - ralmikx fte atan sivi tsatsengur
Where now it burns, Marcellus and myself, - a pumur tsa'u set tsakem si, Marselusì sì oe,

eejmensenikbenhet

Wow, it's been a looooooong time since someone posted something here. About one and a half year? :o
Well, I'm back on the train that takes us from Hamlet to Hämlet and I'm finally finishing off the proofreading on A1S1.
You can find a new list of missing words I created here (including words and phrases from A1S1 Lines 1-68): http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Hamlet/List_of_Missing_Words
Now, before I just throw everything on the original page, I'd like to keep it separate until it is complete, otherwise we're going to forget words and so on.

Besides this, I am trying a little something out on my talk page, it's Eltu's formatting idea being worked out with the wiki's possibilities.
http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/User_talk:EMIBH#Testing_H.C3.A4mlet_Format

eejmensenikbenhet

Me again, working on getting the proofreading of A1S1 done (still not done :-\).
What I did is the following:

• I added the new format to the A1S1 page to compare it to the old format and I think it works pretty well. What do you think? A1S1
  • I moved the proper nouns from the old Missing Words page to a new page, called Hamlet/List of Proper Nouns
  • Next, as I complete the proofreading I will add all the missing words to the new Missing Words page, in the new format

In the new Missing Words format, you can sort the words/phrases in the list alphabetically (both in Na'vi and English) or in order of appearance by clicking the little boxes next to the column titles.