Previous topic - Next topic

yangyang

yangyang

Quote from: yangyang on January 26, 2010, 11:57:29 PM
中国人以及其他会中文或喜欢中文的人,大家一起努力吧 
大家在这里不要只是简单的交友 问候
大家多多的把学习中遇到的问题和困惑还有经验都发在这里 大家一起交流····   

Mew

我们的qq群一直在练习造句,但是对于句子的语序还不是很理解,有人能谈谈语序问题么?虽然纳威语词序比较自由,靠的是名词的格来判定句子的意思,但是除去AOV agent-object-verb 和 OVA object-verb-agent,希望能有更具体的、针对例句的语序

Our QQ(Chinese version of ICQ) chat group have been trying to make sentences in na'vi ,but we have trouble with the word order. Can anybody recommend a useful thread or something like that please?The word order thing is quite tricky, we knew there are AOV agent-object-verb and OVA object-verb-agent but, you know ,since nothing's so sure yet... we need help!

judytuna

Hi!

Here is a thread: http://forum.learnnavi.org/syntax-grammar/syntax-order/
There's a discussion about how native English speakers find it easiest to compose sentences. They also talk about certain things where word order DOES matter, for example:

Quote from: Is. on January 24, 2010, 03:58:56 PM
Some things must either precede or follow other words. Three things off the top of my head is when you use the adjective marker -a or a- to modify a noun. Or when you use the genitive -yä the thing being possessed must be either directly following or preceeding the possessor. And when you use the verb "si" or "tìng" together with another word to form a new verb, they must be next to eachother. I'm sure the are many other cases like this.

'Ivong Na'vi! Kä, Markus!

I am NOT an expert on Na'vi, so if I make a mistake, I'm very sorry =( but here is how I make sense of it all. One of the features of Na'vi is that the word order is somewhat free. I quote from Paul Frommer's language log post:
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1977

QuoteSyntax

The most notable aspect of Na'vi syntax is the freedom of word order. The case system allows all 6 sequences of S, O, and V. Additionally, adjectives, genitives, and relative clauses can either precede or follow their heads.

Nouns and adjectives are tied together by the morpheme a, which comes between them and is attached as a bound morpheme to the adjective. For example, 'long river' is either ngima kilvan or kilvan angim.

Instead of using word order, in Na'vi, the nouns around the verb are marked for case. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%27vi_language#Case for a list of how to inflect nouns. For example,
QuoteAn object is marked with the accusative suffix -it/-t/-ti, and an agent with the ergative suffix -ìl/-l, while an intransitive argument has no case suffix.
and so on.

So you always know which noun is the subject (the one marked with -l or -ìl), and you know which noun is the direct object (the one marked with -ti or -it) .... that is why the word order is somewhat free. My favorite example is "Oel ngati kameie". Oe (me) is the subject, so you add -l onto it, and get "oel". Nga (you) is the direct object, so you mark it as such with -ti, getting "ngati". So you can say "oel ngati kameie" and it's the same as "ngati kameie oel" and "kameie ngati oel", because the nouns are marked. (Of course, I might be wrong, especially because "oel ngati kameie" is such an important saying, it might be an idiom or something.)

But just for SOV and OVS, word order does not matter! (I think...!!!)

I hope this helps.

(da jia hao! 大家好!!!! Sorry, I can't read Chinese very well (in fact, I only know like 20 characters). wo shi hai wai de zhongguo ren--I'm an overseas chinese that was born in the U.S., and so I speak Mandarin Chinese with my parents and my family, and I went to Chinese school, but have no real mastery of the language besides what little kids say. ru guo ni men yao gen wo liang xi yingwen, ke yi gei wo message, haha, ke shi wo shuo de zhongwen hen bu hao!! Anyway, good luck you guys!!!)

Fkeua 'Awpo