Announcing: AvatarMeet.com. And; we need your help!

Started by mikkowilson, August 24, 2011, 03:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkowilson

It is beginning!

We are proud to announce that AvatarMeet.com has gone live. AvatarMeet includes pictures, videos and information from past meetups, as well as current up-to-date information about the future meetups. As we get closer to the next meetup, all new updates will be posted on the site including maps, events, hotel, signing-up, surveys, and other important information. Important updates will be sent out via the newsletter, as well as placed on AvatarMeet.com. Feel free to check out the site: AvatarMeet.com.

And...
We need your help!
The planning team would like everyone's input and suggestions about the meetup. These surveys are of course optional, but this is a great opportunity to help us figure out events and to give us your opinion. There are 3 surveys. Please only fill out the one that pertains to you.
The surveys are, of course, located on AvatarMeet.com

- Avatar Meet 2012 organizing team
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Though it is nice to eat as a group and have fine dinners and lunched. $30 for a half a plate of spaghetti and some French Bread or $40 for seafood is way out of line for those of us with next to no income. As well as $200 for rooms... can we please try to make these outtings and get togethers more financially feasible?

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

mikkowilson

Make sure to include those comments when you fill out the survey so they don't get lost here in the masses of posts of the forum!

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

Tirea Aean

may I suggest putting this line in your headers?

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

It will make it such that ì and ä show up correctly if there would be a need to use those characters in either the name of an event or a person. (noticed there was a char missing error on the Photo Album page of July 2011)

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on August 24, 2011, 04:14:36 PM
Though it is nice to eat as a group and have fine dinners and lunched. $30 for a half a plate of spaghetti and some French Bread or $40 for seafood is way out of line for those of us with next to no income. As well as $200 for rooms... can we please try to make these outtings and get togethers more financially feasible?

That is the reason for the surveys.  We want to know what the most people are willing to pay.  Don't forget there are hostels and such that you can get into.  When it gets a little closer there will be a list of hotels and hostels near the museum.  We will, however, be choosing our official hotel based on the majority of people's preferences.  

We will also have a listing of restaurants in the area.  That will be everything from fast food to 5 star restaurants.  
Please remember to put those comments in your survey entry.  

Thank You.
Maria TunVrrtep
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

AketuanNavi

Also a newsletter was sent out with the announcing of the website. It can be viewed here (to be reposted)

To subscribe to the AvatarMeet newsletter click "Subscribe" in the newsletter, or PM me your email address. The newsletter will provide updates and important information about the meet up in 2012.  :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: AketuanNavi on August 24, 2011, 09:33:57 PM
Also a newsletter was sent out with the announcing of the website. It can be viewed here.

To subscribe to the AvatarMeet newsletter click "Subscribe" in the newsletter, or PM me your email address. The newsletter will provide updates and important information about the meet up in 2012.  :)

that's a link to http:// ::) about:blank ;)

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 24, 2011, 10:14:50 PM
Also a newsletter was sent out with the announcing of the website. It can be viewed here.

To subscribe to the AvatarMeet newsletter click "Subscribe" in the newsletter, or PM me your email address. The newsletter will provide updates and important information about the meet up in 2012.  :)

hmm, so it would appear...   :P     /fixed

Tirea Aean

Quote from: AketuanNavi on August 24, 2011, 10:20:48 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 24, 2011, 10:14:50 PM

hmm, so it would appear...   :P     /fixed

Clicked, RSS subscribed, +1'd, Liked, and Tweeted. 8D ;D

CyanRachel

Great job on the AvatarMeet website -- I like the layout/design! And also good job on the newsletter.  :)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

guest2859

I like the idea, but not a fan of the design. It's just to 'set back', in the fact that's you're trying to pull off a community-type area in a dark environment, something that's hard to do. But, if you're happy, I'm happy.

Human No More

It works for me - indeed, most sites other than here do use a dark theme :P

Anyway, can't wait for the meetup ;D
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

mikkowilson

Just hotlinking the first image I found with a quick GIS to illustrate the look I was going for...

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

guest2859

Ah... that just gave me an idea. Shall I put it in picture format?

Seze Mune

Quote from: mikkowilson on August 27, 2011, 10:14:00 AM
Just hotlinking the first image I found with a quick GIS to illustrate the look I was going for...

- Mikko

These OLED screens are the coolest, and they are actually already in use, so I'm told.  Sure would love to see a real one.

mikkowilson

Quote from: Nargacuga667 on August 27, 2011, 02:16:02 PM
Ah... that just gave me an idea. Shall I put it in picture format?
What do you mean?

Seze, yeah. I'd love to see the site on one. It's designed for touch devices. Works great on tablets, phones, iThings, etc...

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

guest2859

Meant I was going to try a 'hologram' type-interface, but we see how this turned out.

(And yes, it was rushed)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I am not sure what I am supposed to be seeing in this picture, but it is a dandy picture of the Seattle skyline. It looks like it was taken from the same hilltop that we ended up our Friday night BBQ on. I'll have to compare it to the pictures I took there.

I have not yet seen those transparent display panels yet, but they are txantsan nìwotx nang. Are they really OLED?

I saw some top-of-the-line OLED displays this year at the Nationalm Association of Broadcasters convention. I can finally say I have seen a display that gives a better picture than a CRT (I am a professional television engineer and I am VERY picky about displays, especially if I have to rely on them).

I like the RDA-style site layout!

If we got the newsletter before, will we continue to receive it?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

mikkowilson

Kaltxì (nìmun, srak?) ma Ayfalulukanä.

Irayo. Ulte srane, the old newsletter email list has been rolled into the new one. We consider the AvatarMeet newsletter a successor to IkranNews. We have all of them archived on the site: http://www.avatarmeet.com/?p=5

And yeah, display technology has come an amazingly long way. There have been some pretty amazing advances at NAB the last few years. Some of the autostereoscopic 3D stuff I saw this year at NAB was pretty amazing.

First transparent panel I get my hands on, I want to load up AvatarMeet.com on and play. :)

-
Nargacuga667: Nice graphic.
Also, looks like there's a good movie showing at the Boeing IMAX...

- Mikko ... saw the SE there.
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

guest2859

Quote from: mikkowilson on August 30, 2011, 02:06:47 AM
Kaltxì (nìmun, srak?) ma Ayfalulukanä.

Irayo. Ulte srane, the old newsletter email list has been rolled into the new one. We consider the AvatarMeet newsletter a successor to IkranNews. We have all of them archived on the site: http://www.avatarmeet.com/?p=5

And yeah, display technology has come an amazingly long way. There have been some pretty amazing advances at NAB the last few years. Some of the autostereoscopic 3D stuff I saw this year at NAB was pretty amazing.

First transparent panel I get my hands on, I want to load up AvatarMeet.com on and play. :)

-
Nargacuga667: Nice graphic.
Also, looks like there's a good movie showing at the Boeing IMAX...

- Mikko ... saw the SE there.

Also, I saved it before the blur made it all the way through.  :(, so small loss.