AvatarMeet 2012 - Camping Trip Part 2 Video

Started by Alan, October 07, 2012, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Kaltxì ma frapo,

Here is Part 2 of the camping video.  This covers our trip to the beach on the Pacific coast of the Olympic Peninsula.  It was pretty cold for saying it was summer, but that didn't stop us exploring the rock pools or trying some stone skimming.  The video rounds off with the ferry crossing over Puget Sound towards Seattle.  Enjoy.

AvatarMeet 2012 - Camping Trip Part 2

Next time we will be at AvatarMeet 2012..."You're not in Kansas anymore..." ;)

Alan

Raiden

We got chased outta there pretty quick...

Planning a tidepooling outing is hard, especially if you don't know the location well.

I think we did okay for what we were able to do.

One thing that bugged me, though, was that Aketuan saw a fish in one of the pools that he said resembled a clown fish.

It was probably one of those; a painted greenling, Oxylebias picta. They are common in the larger pools around the west coast, but are quite timid and are generally only seen when trapped. It bugged me because he saw it, but it saw him too and it made tracks and vanished deep into a rock formation where I was unable to reach (and really, who wants to reach into a dark, rocky tunnel filled with seawater?). They are one of my favorite finds in tide pools, but I don't often see them.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Very nicely done, ma Alan. Quite a different feeling from the previous video, and a feeling I enjoyed.

I see you kept the resident Raiden quite busy. I could use a Raiden here if you ever run across another one!  :)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alan

Ma Raiden, looks like a painted 'redling' to me...but then I am colour blind!  Anyway I enjoyed the adventure through to rock pools.  That hermit crab was cool. :D

Ma 'Eylan, glad you liked the video.  Yeah we came across the Sea Raiden on the Beach.  Slightly different colour markings to the freshwater version, but just as knowledgeable.  ;D

Alan

CyanRachel

Loved this Part 2 vid of our camping trip! Irayo, Alan -- you got some awesome footage (and great job with skipping those stones --you're a pro)! Now I got to see more of what the group was doing among those big rocks and tide pools (since I didn't feel comfortable doing much rock climbing myself).  :D

Oooo, that's a very pretty tide pool fish, Raiden! A shame you didn't get to see it yourself.
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)