Started by Alan, July 10, 2012, 04:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I will just post a text account of my travels, with the videos to come later!

My very nearly got cancelled, when a major computer problem reared its ugly head at work. I spent much of Monday doing some really serious head-scratching. I did lots of research on the Internet, and kept coming up with 'therethe is no real solution'. This HAD to be solved before I could leave town. Late in the evening Monday, I stumbled on an important clue. I went home knowing there MIGHT be a way out. In addition to this, there is a major issue going on in the astronomy club I am president of, and there is an expectation among some people that I just do astronomy club stuff 24/7. In any case, dealing with this issue cost much of my evenings Monday and Tuesday, and could not easily be postponed.

Tuesday morning,, I put my computer recovery idea in motion, and bit a snag. In attempting to get past the snag, I tried a shortcut,realizing that if it didn't work, I was no worse off than I currently was.
V

Well, the shortcut not only worked, but it also unexpectedly solved the problem! So, I applied the same trick to the remaining sick machine.  It worked there, as well. All that then remained was doing some 'damagereally control', and taking care of one other unrelated-but-annoying problem. I left work 6on minutes before my 'go-nogo' time!

That evening, I had to first deal with the astronomy club issue before any packing. I finally finished packing about 1 AM!

This morning went much better than it could have. The train was running late (not unusual with AMTRAK! ), so I had enough time to have breakfast with a friend, and shoot a blog video.

I am now currently study k in downtown Sacramento for 7 more hours. I have enough time to go see an IMAX film ins nearby theater, and have a real dinner!

Makto ko!
'eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Niri Te

THANK You for showing us the inside of the Museum of the Native Americans, Alan. That was the one Museum that was built after, (Long after), I grew up.
I spend a lot of time in all of the museums of the Smithsonian when I was there every day for a year, but the three museums that I spent the most time in, in order of time spent, were  (ONE), The Air and Space Museum, (BIG surprise, huh),  (TWO), The Natural History museum, (mostly in the Geology, and native anthropology sections), and (THREE), The medical section, with a great deal of time spent in the Pathology section.

AGAIN, IRAYO for showing us the Native American Museum.
Brie
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

'Eylan Ayfalulukanä~  hingh txrama pxefore the trip!  YIKES! antx well platetx!
Thank you for sharing the museums Alan!
Silly side note:  In my youth, I used to spend hours in the LA Natural History Museum.
I used to have recurring dreams where I was locked in the museum with the whole place to myself!  Nerd Paradise! i suppose.
When I met Brie and learned that dshe spent nearly a year in the Smith !
I knew we were meant dor each other!

OK other stuff too. Just icing on the cake!
ta ATEYO

Toruk Makto

Thursday - 11:18am CDT: Cooling my heels in the airport in Houston. Discombobulated flight is delayed by 20 minutes. As long as Southwest doesn't seriously step on their crank and make the delay worse, I should make the connection in Phoenix.
Meanwhile...
------------------------------
1:18pm CDT: Finally boarding the plane. Lots of kids, but that will be balanced by adult beverages once we get going.
2:23pm PDT: Changing planes in Phoenix. At least the rescheduled flights are on time now. Next stop, Seattle.
5:35pm PDT: On the ground in Seattle. Now to get luggage and the rental car.
7:00pm PDT: Arrived at the hotel! Festivities are already in progress, but food and ale need to be pursued.
10:36pm PDT: Why does my get up and go, get and go when there is so much to be had?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I will also thank Alan for the Native American museum tour. I really need to go spend a week at all the Smithsonian museums (BTW the National Zoo is a Smithsonian institution as well.)

Good luck, ma Toruk Makto. Air travel can get very frustrating very quickly. Where's your Toruk????

Yawey ngahu!

Toruk Makto

Toruk just turned 300,000 miles and is getting a well-earned rest.

mikkowilson

First group from the camping trip is now headed back into Seattle. Camping was lots of fun, but the real party starts tonight!

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

About half an hour out of Seattle. If you are RDA, you might want to leave now...

Yawey ngahu!

Alan

This a very quick post, coz I'm here at the AvatarMeet - YAAAAAAY! I'll post more later, but for the moment here is a quick vid from the camp:

Alan's AvatarMeet Journal: 6

Enjoy,

Alan

Alan

Kaltxì again!  :D

Well here is some footage from the welcome evening.  It is only able to give a flavour of the event, but I hope that those of you watching can feel a part of it.  It was really great to see friends meeting up for the first time and old friendships being renewed.

Unfortunately I was not able to capture the full welcome event on my iPhone as I was kinda helping to present a small proportion of it.  However, Mikko pulled off a txantsan Quartich to kick start the event.  To give you an idea, you know Quartich's welcome address to the new arrivals to Pandora in Avatar, well let's just say its was a translation of that for the AvatarMeet  ;). And it went down very well.  This was followed by AketuanNa'vi starting off the summary of events.  Then in turn, Sarah, Txonä and I gave a summary of the activities for the event, before everyone enjoyed an evening of meeting and mingling.

Here's a brief video of the evening:
Alan's AvatarMeet Journal: 7
Alan

Niri Te

Looks good, IRAYO ma Alan!!
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Jane MacMillan

Lovely! I hope there will be some nifty program books left over for those of us that won't be joining everyone until tonight.

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

its really good you're posting these videos, ma alan!  makes us who arent there feel like we are!

have a good time everyone!
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

mikkowilson

Quote from: Jane MacMillan on July 20, 2012, 10:15:05 AM
Lovely! I hope there will be some nifty program books left over for those of us that won't be joining everyone until tonight.

Yes, there are MSGs printed up for everyone registered to get one!

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

'Oma Tirea

MSG?  Isn't that supposed to be the name of a chemical?

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Toruk Makto

It's the monosodium survival guide. It helps survive bad Chinese food!  :)

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Toruk Makto on July 20, 2012, 04:18:49 PM
It's the monosodium survival guide. It helps survive bad Chinese food!  :)

HRH!

I almost didn't want to venture into this thread because I knew I would be sad only that I couldn't make it. While this is definitely true I'm so glad that this is happening and it looks like everyone is having such a wonderful and amazing time. I can't wait for more pictures and video.

Alan

Irayo for your kind comments.  I'm just grateful that ma aysmukan sì aysmuke don't mind me shoving a video camera in the faces every five mintes! ;D. It is a pleasure to be able to bring a bit of the AvatarMeet to those of you who have not been able to make it so you can still feel a part of it.

As you will all probably know, yesterday was a rather special.  In the morning we had a live Avatar Nation recording session with the cast in front of a live Avatar Fan audience!  This was well times as we got to experience some of Seattles rain.  Fortunately it dried up for the evening.

Ahhh, yes the evening...

What a special occasion that was.  We arrived at 17:00 and entered the JBL Theatre were we got to try out a new Avatar exhibit item that the EMP wanted some Avatar fan feedback on.  This was followed by a very special audience with Jon Landau.  It was an amazing experience as you can imagine.  He was both entertaining and very accommodating of us and made sure everyone had had their time with him.  We also presented him a birthday card signed by all of us.

Just before he left, he announced that popcorn and drinks were on the house for the Avatar screening, to much cheering.  And with a final Kiyevame, he left back for LA.  Next up was the screening of Avatar CE.  I have no need to describe this as you already know how that goes.

I must just give a massive Irayo to Mikko Wilson and the rest of the planning team who organised the event which will live in our memories.  I know there was a lot of behind the scenes work communicating with both the museum and Lightstorm Entertainment.  Irayo.

I can't miss out the museum, who were very accommodating to our needs and went the extra mile to provide facilities and help make the event possible.

And of course a massive Irayo to Kathy Franklin and Jon Landau, who came up from LA to see us and share their time with us.  It was a wonderful experience that we will all take with us.

Just so you know you can view picture via www.AvatarMeet.com.  Also we did do a video and audio recording of the event.  However, this will require editing and approval before release and will hopefully be released in due course.

In the meantime, here is yesterday's video log:

Alan's AvatarMeet Journal: 8

Eywa ngahu,

Alan

Puvomun

WOU! I have just found this topic and loved all the video logs so far! Irayo si ngaru, ma Alan!
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

DJ Makto

All I can say is that the AvatarMeet has been absolutely brilliant this year. A huge thanks and kudos to Mikko and the rest of the planning group on making this dream a reality. And also a very special thanks for Jon Landau and Kathy Franklin for coming to meets us at the museum--that will be a night that I (and most of us will never forget).

Avatar Nation was here in full force and recording lots of video and photos, unfortunately slow wifi bandwidth has made uploading them somewhat difficult. Rest assured we will be uploading and making them available to everyone within a few days after the meetup.