Started by Alan, July 10, 2012, 04:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Though I missed most of my time with the CLAN, I DID get my shirts and nametag and the staff at the EMP took pity on my not being able to join the group when they came to the museum and I was able to get in and go through and take pictures and get items.

Though it was an overall rough weekend for me personally. I was glad to see and meet so many new people and take pictures of and with them.

Miss Tammy and Candace and Paul and Paul and Prrton and Alan and everyone were so great.

Thank you all for your understanding in my absences.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Alan on July 23, 2012, 09:57:46 PM

Sooner or later though, you have to wake up and now we have started to return to our home clans, until Toruk Makto calls again...

Alan

Krra Toruk Makto plltxe, Na'vi ting mìkyun...

Kosman txantsan tewti wou wou nang nang nang nang nang

That hardly describes how I feel about the meetup. It would have been really hard to have had a better time! I think the most important thing that happened for me was making some new friends from ToS, a place I have yet to spend any real time. The Na'vi lesson was fantastic, even for someone who is already well into intermediate territory. I also got some coaching from Oma Tirea and others to help me strengthen some of the weak points in my pronunciation of Na'vi. Last, but not least, was the experience of 'really being blue'. Although my cosplay was pretty 'weak' (I do not look much like a Na'vi, especially with those 'goggle glasses'!), I still had  a good time, and regret I 'washed it off' earlier than I should have.

Although I had some misgivings about staying the full day Monday, those misgivings were dispelled when I was able to spend a good portion of the day  at the Woodland Park Zoo with several of my blueskin friends. We saw many different animals, and some I (as a zookeeper) have never seen before. (Of, course, there were plenty of falulukan to be seen!) We ended the day with a nice meal at the Thai restaurant that seemed to have become the 'feeding station' for much of the assembled clans!

In a way, I am glad I am getting ready to board a apxa ngawng lefngap for home in about 12 hours, as this activity would not be special if we did it every day. But I suspect that Toruk Makto will call again, sooner than we think, and we will be called to an all-new venue with new adventures to be had...

I will start posting pictures in a few days. I took well over a thousand pictures, and a number of videos. From those, I will pick and post the best ones. I fully expect there will be at least 300 pictures of every aspect of our activities.

And Meuiama Tsamsiyu, I am really glad that you were able to salvage some of the better bits of your time here. I know how it feels to have this stuff happen, as it happened to me last year. I know you really wanted to see K. Pawl's teaching. Well, between everyone who shot video or stills of it, there will be a recreation of it that will preserve the full value of the experience, and allow you to learn everything we did!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Niri Te

How did you finally make it up, ma tsmukan?
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Ma 'Eylan AyFalulukanyä!  Those of you wearing glasses may wish to devise a way to disguise them as flying goggles: renten.
Just a passing thought!
ta ATEYO!

Alan

Well, I'm currently still in New York enjoying the mega hot (for me anyway) weather. I head home to the UK tomorrow...very sad only, as I leave the land where a lot of my friends are. Sooner or later, though, you have to return home. It keeps things special when we do meet up - and we will ma eylan.

Today I did manage to take a ride on a sailing ship past the Statue of Liberty today. I also made it to the cinema to watch The Dark Knight. The cinema was full and I ended up having to sit almost right at the front..."what's wrong with this picture?"

Well, I'm currently still in New York enjoying the mega hot (for me anyway) weather. I head home to the UK tomorrow...very sad only, as I leave the land where a lot of my friends are. Sooner or later, though, you have to return home. It keeps things special when we do meet up - and we will ma eylan.

Today I did manage to take a ride on a sailing ship past the Statue of Liberty today. I also made it to the cinema to watch The Dark Knight. The cinema was full and I ended up having to sit almost right at the front..."what's wrong with this picture?"

There was quite a bit of audience participation, which is not something I'm used to. What really gave me a smile was seeing Wollaton Hall as Wayne Manner as it is only 7 miles away from where I live!

Not only that, but I also saw a shed load of New York streets that I recognised, especially as I had walked down some of them earlier in the day, like Wall Street. I must admit I came out of the cinema smiling to myself as I was effectively walking into the film set of the film I had just watched! How cool was that!

Anyway, safe journies home for those who are on their way and Oel ngati kameie soon,

Eywa ngahu frakrr,

Alan

Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan

Srane, it is very sad only that the meet's over.  tsmuk that I met were all wonderful people, and the whole thing was txantsan.  I really enjoyed myself, especially the cosplay (many thanks to Candace and Wade for their generous help) - which is something I've never done before.  And thanks to the hotel for providing old sheets and rags, so I could avoid any room cleaning charges.  The cosplay was totally awesome, especially experiencing the reaction from other people too.  Yes, there were one or two negative comments (from people who thought they were out of earshot) but on the whole the reception from the public was really nice.  Especially all the photos folk wanted to take with their family members - I think we made lots of people really happy. ;D

I stood outside the exhibit for a while, and ended up with maybe 10 photos taken in front of the atokirina' projector, partly showing people what they're supposed to do there...  Unil Täftxuyu took a number of photos of that.

However, it was really sad to wash all the blue off and then blend into the background again.   :(

There was a homeless guy sleeping in a doorway just up the road from the Executive Inn who seemed to know what was going on - he shouted "Avatar" a number of times when I was walking up or down the street.

I totally agree with Alan on his point about keeping things special - if we did this all year round, it wouldn't be special anymore, which would be a real shame.

I head home for the UK later today too, and then the recovery back to the UK time zone begins.

Already looking forward to seeing the photos of this year's meet, and also looking forward to next year's meet.

Kìyevame ma eylan, ulte Eywa ngahu.

Alan

Well I'm currently sat on the seating steps in Times Square and just about to start making my way to the air port.  Irayo ma aysmuk for making me feel so welcome and part of the family. It was great to see you all again I person and also meet new faces.  Just wish I was better at remembering names...

Once I get home and over the jet lag, the process of editing the footage (all 8 hours of it!!!) begins and I will get to see you all again!

Eywa ngahu ma aysmuk frakrr,

Alan

CyanRachel

Irayo, Alan, for posting your videos here for everyone to watch -- great job!  ;) And I also liked watching the vid of the July 4th mini-meet in Vegas -- Irayo for sharing that with us, DJ Makto.  :)

I had such an AWESOME time at AvatarMeet...had so much fun, lots of laughs and hugs, and it was just wonderful to spend time with the clan! All the events planned over the whole weekend were terrific (Q&A with Landau, Avatar screening, Cosplay day, Na'vi lesson with Paul Frommer, etc)! A very BIG Irayo to the planning committee, and the EMP museum and Best Western hotel for making it all happen!  :D

I definitely plan on attending future AvatarMeets, wherever they will be.  8)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Clarke

Quote from: CyanRachel on July 29, 2012, 02:51:09 PM
Irayo, Alan, for posting your videos here for everyone to watch -- great job!  And I also liked watching the vid of the July 4th mini-meet in Vegas -- Irayo for sharing that with us, DJ Makto.

I had such an AWESOME time at AvatarMeet...had so much fun, lots of laughs and hugs, and it was just wonderful to spend time with the clan! All the events planned over the whole weekend were terrific (Q&A with Landau, Avatar screening, Cosplay day, Na'vi lesson with Paul Frommer, etc)! A very BIG Irayo to the planning committee, and the EMP museum and Best Western hotel for making it all happen!

I definitely plan on attending future AvatarMeets, wherever they will be.
This. The weekend was wonderful, and both the planning team and the staff at the EMP and Western are awesome people for organising everything, as are Pawl and Jon. (Facebook is suggesting that I be Pawl's friend. I wonder if I should take it up.  :P) But all of you guys (and girls, but you knew that) are also awesome people, and it's really hard to realize that when we're just lines of text on the same old backgrounds.

Although, while I was actually there, the meetup seemed to blur past. It felt as though there was no time at all between getting our name badges and having to go to bed on Sunday night. My parents (who are veterans at the whole convention-going thing) did tell me that's basically how time works at these things. It did feel very like a dream and... well, we know how those work.  :P

Anyway, I wish I could have stayed with everyone longer, but my flight went out really early Monday morning. (Coincidentally, Alan was on the same flight. Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk to him about Avatar for 5 hours, since we were on different ends of the plane.)

Also, I made this a couple of days after I got back.

:( :(

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Aww, but you are still connected through this list!

I know what you are saying about time at these events. During the event you lose track of time (How late did we talk Saturday evening??). Then, it seems like the event comes and goes. All weekend long, I have been saying 'last week at this time....' and wishing I could be back in Seattle!

Yawey ngahu!

Alan

Quote from: CyanRachel on July 29, 2012, 02:51:09 PM
Irayo, Alan, for posting your videos here for everyone to watch -- great job!

No problem ma tsmuke :)  For me is was just way of bringing to the meet up to our friends who could not make it

Quote from: CyanRachel on July 29, 2012, 02:51:09 PM;) And I also liked watching the vid of the July 4th mini-meet in Vegas -- Irayo for sharing that with us, DJ Makto.  :)

Yeah, that was cool, just people taking Avatar all the time.  TXANTSAN!!  :D

Quote from: Clarke on July 29, 2012, 07:10:25 PM
Anyway, I wish I could have stayed with everyone longer, but my flight went out really early Monday morning. (Coincidentally, Alan was on the same flight. Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk to him about Avatar for 5 hours, since we were on different ends of the plane.)

Yeah, that was a shame we could not have sat together.  Maybe I should have seen if the person sat next to you would have minded sitting where I was.  We'll have to get a bit more organised on the flights for next time so a few of us could travel together.  It's so much better to get through the flight.

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Interesting. Usually, they will let you change seats once the flight is airborne. Oh well....

Yawey ngahu!

Alan

Well, hopefully next time we can find out where and when folks a flying and we can book seats together, which is what CyanRachel and I have done before.  Note to self: Flight list for next time.  ;)

Alan

Human No More

Slightly late post here, but I'm home... spent some time staying with oeya yawnetu afterwards, got home a couple of days ago and have been feeling quite under the weather since, both physically and emotionally.

Had an amazing time though, and enjoyed meeting everyone... Hoping to see even more faces next year :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Clarke

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 29, 2012, 11:51:17 PMI know what you are saying about time at these events. During the event you lose track of time (How late did we talk Saturday evening??).
1:30am. And I didn't have the excuse that I was in the wrong timezone.  :-[

Quote from: Alan on July 30, 2012, 04:11:10 PM
Well, hopefully next time we can find out where and when folks a flying and we can book seats together, which is what CyanRachel and I have done before.  Note to self: Flight list for next time.  ;)

Alan
Definitely. I thought about trying to meet up with other people on the way out, but I (tried to, there were delays) arrive early enough for the dinner on Thursday, and I didn't think anyone else was going to do that.

Alan

Kaltxì ma eylan,

I hope you all got the AvatarMeet newsletter and have filled in the survey that was linked in there.  Here is the link if you missed it:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B2X7QL9

This is your opportunity to feed back what you thought went well, what needs to be improved, what things you might like to see at a next meet up and so on.  Your help by filling it in will be greatly appreciated by the planning team.  Irayo ma aysmuk. :hi:

Alan

CyanRachel

Irayo for posting the link, Alan...I filled out the survey.

I'm sure future meetups will only get better and better.  :D
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Alan

Irayo ma CyanRachel sì Txur'Itan.  We'll summarise the result once we have as many responses as possible.  I need to chase around for any straglers when I get a fooo moments.

Alan

DJ Makto

A short teaser trailer of the upcoming meetup footage has been released! Enjoy!

AvatarMeet 2012 Grindhouse Trailer