AvatarMeet 2012 - Dates Confirmed, and Online Registration Open

Started by Payoang, November 18, 2011, 11:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Yeah, that's right.  There is a lot to see at the Pacific Science Centre, Space Needle and EMP Museum.  If you want to explore Seattle a bit more, the Monorail runs every 10 minutes from the muesum straight to the West Lake shopping centre and it is only a short walk to Pike Place Market and the waterfront.  Hope things come good for you hì'i tuté.  If you haven't been to Seattle before, you should like it :)

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: hì'i tuté on April 24, 2012, 01:40:56 AM
Greyhound seems to be the cheapest mode of travel to get to Seattle... $198 if I buy the tickets at least 3 wks in advance... and I forgot that Seattle had such awesome public transportation... I think I'm still going to hold out and try and find either a better deal on Amtrak or Airfare just because it's a little nicer way to travel than by bus... but I think if I use public transport in Seattle and find a cheap method of getting to Seattle... it *might* be a little more possible to go... fingers crossed...  :D

And depending on where you are coming from, and when you travel, you might find me on the train!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

hì'ia tuté

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 25, 2012, 01:39:53 AM
Quote from: hì'i tuté on April 24, 2012, 01:40:56 AM
Greyhound seems to be the cheapest mode of travel to get to Seattle... $198 if I buy the tickets at least 3 wks in advance... and I forgot that Seattle had such awesome public transportation... I think I'm still going to hold out and try and find either a better deal on Amtrak or Airfare just because it's a little nicer way to travel than by bus... but I think if I use public transport in Seattle and find a cheap method of getting to Seattle... it *might* be a little more possible to go... fingers crossed...  :D

And depending on where you are coming from, and when you travel, you might find me on the train!

I'd be coming from Phoenix (technically Maricopa is where the train station is, but close enough to Phoenix). But money is kind of tight with my family, so I might have to help out with financials this summer with whatever left over money I have. :(

I've heard talk that next year the meet up might be in Vegas or Phoenix next year... which would be good, but my question is will the Avatar Exhibit be traveling to Vegas/Phoenix and so the meetup would be following the Exhibit, or is the Exhibit going to be remaining in Seattle?

ExLibrisMortis

The Exhibit will be leaving Seattle, where to I don't know if they posted that yet. The meetup in Las Vegas area was really a "pre-meetup" thingy that allowed some people that couldn't normally get to Seattle to still have their own little shindig. There was a carpool going to happen coming from here in phoenix to Seattle, but that fell through.

hì'ia tuté

mikkowilson

Don't know if the exhibit will go to Vegas or not. My understanding is that it'll be a short limited tour where it'll hit a number of venues and then end forever.

There won't be many opportunities to see the exhibit.

Unlikely we'll have a full size AvatarMeet in Vegas. Vegas is quiet expensive. (And not very Na'vi, either.)

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: mikkowilson on April 25, 2012, 02:30:51 PM

Unlikely we'll have a full size AvatarMeet in Vegas. Vegas is quiet expensive. (And not very Na'vi, either.)

- Mikko

Las Vegas can be considerably less expensive than Seattle. It is a whole lot less cosmopolitan than Seattle. And there are areas of incredible natural beauty just half an hour outside the city, and camping, etc. is quite doable in these areas. Avatarmeet in Las Vegas can be awesome, even without a museum exhibit nearby. (Actually, we should visit the Museum of Nuclear Testing!) It is all based on what we make of it.

Yawey ngahu!

Alan

According to the EMP website the Avatar Exhibit be in Seattle until 3rd September 2012.  Where is goes to after will become clear around that time I guess.  Wherever it is next, I'm guessing, is where the next meet up will be if all goes well.

Alan

hì'ia tuté

well... if our (my dad's and my) car insurance company didn't screw us over I might have been able to have enough money left over to attend, but as it stands, it looks as if I will not have the money to go.  :'( State Farm Insurance thought that my mom was a licensed driver (she is not due to medical reasons) and that she had her license suspended (she voluntarily gave it up, while we still lived in Oregon, because she didn't want the hassle of sending in medical forms every 6 months or so). She has never had an AZ license, only an ID Card, but the DMV thought they issued her a driver's license so while we were trying to figure this out with our State Farm Agent, their under writers had no idea there was a mix up, so they cancelled our insurance and we had to go with a different company, which I had to pay half for... again.

TL;DR: Insurance company thought mom was a licensed driver but she is not and they cancelled our car insurance, I had to pay half of the cost of new car insurance, so now I do not have enough to go to Seattle.  :'(

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: hì'i tuté on April 29, 2012, 07:49:49 PM
well... if our (my dad's and my) car insurance company didn't screw us over I might have been able to have enough money left over to attend, but as it stands, it looks as if I will not have the money to go.  :'( State Farm Insurance thought that my mom was a licensed driver (she is not due to medical reasons) and that she had her license suspended (she voluntarily gave it up, while we still lived in Oregon, because she didn't want the hassle of sending in medical forms every 6 months or so). She has never had an AZ license, only an ID Card, but the DMV thought they issued her a driver's license so while we were trying to figure this out with our State Farm Agent, their under writers had no idea there was a mix up, so they cancelled our insurance and we had to go with a different company, which I had to pay half for... again.

TL;DR: Insurance company thought mom was a licensed driver but she is not and they cancelled our car insurance, I had to pay half of the cost of new car insurance, so now I do not have enough to go to Seattle.  :'(

I would have fought that one over with State Farm since it was their fail. Sorry to hear you can't come :(

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

hì'ia tuté

we tried to work it out, but once we realized they cancelled our policy, my dad decided he didn't want to stay with a company whose left hand didn't know what its right hand was doing and vice-verse. The underwriters should have been informed there was a mix up, and that the Agent was working with us to solve the issue or the underwriters didn't get the memo or they just didn't care I guess.

what sucks is that I think I'd have enough left over for hotel, museum admission, public transportation, food, etc, I just won't have enough left over to actually physically get *to* Seattle from Phoenix... *pouts* If I lived in Oregon still, I totally would say screw flying, buses, and trains, I'll just drive there... and if I hadn't already done the drive in recent years from Portland to Phoenix, I'd say screw it, I'll drive... but I can still remember driving from Oregon to Arizona, when I moved here... and I really *really* do not ever want to do that kind of drive again... lol... I love to drive, but holy bejeezus batman, that drive was craaazy... (my dad was run off the road into the ditch between freeways in California with the 17' U-haul and 5x8 trailer and barely made it back on the road before the concrete barrier-bush thing, and then my dad side swiped/pinned a Dodge Magnum against a concrete barrier on accident because he thought the lane was condensing to one lane due to construction, and then we got lost in the Mojave Desert for an entire day... in August... and the U-haul had no A/C.) 

DJ Makto

Quote from: mikkowilson on April 25, 2012, 02:30:51 PM
Don't know if the exhibit will go to Vegas or not. My understanding is that it'll be a short limited tour where it'll hit a number of venues and then end forever.

There won't be many opportunities to see the exhibit.

- Mikko

Whoa hang on there. Vegas is a very cheap travel and meeting destination. If you select decent dates that don't coincide with major holiday's you can stay in a very nice hotel on the strip for less than half the cost of some of the hotels in downtown. Airfare to Vegas is on average much cheaper than any other US city both for domestic and international travelers. And most hotels will bend over backwards and provide free or super cheap meeting space for groups as large as what was established for this year's Avatar meet.

Vegas as a city might not be very Na'vi--but can you really argue that metropolitan Seattle, LA, or any other city is very Na'vi? I can count several places within a 45 minute drive outside the Vegas city limits where you can find lush, green deciduous forests. Never mind the fact that deserts can be incredibly beautiful. Should I dig out my personal Las Vegas nature photo collection again?

Don't hate on Vegas because it ain't green and lush. ;)

Quote from: hì'i tuté on May 03, 2012, 11:24:29 AM
we tried to work it out, but once we realized they cancelled our policy, my dad decided he didn't want to stay with a company whose left hand didn't know what its right hand was doing and vice-verse. The underwriters should have been informed there was a mix up, and that the Agent was working with us to solve the issue or the underwriters didn't get the memo or they just didn't care I guess.

what sucks is that I think I'd have enough left over for hotel, museum admission, public transportation, food, etc, I just won't have enough left over to actually physically get *to* Seattle from Phoenix... *pouts* If I lived in Oregon still, I totally would say screw flying, buses, and trains, I'll just drive there... and if I hadn't already done the drive in recent years from Portland to Phoenix, I'd say screw it, I'll drive... but I can still remember driving from Oregon to Arizona, when I moved here... and I really *really* do not ever want to do that kind of drive again... lol... I love to drive, but holy bejeezus batman, that drive was craaazy... (my dad was run off the road into the ditch between freeways in California with the 17' U-haul and 5x8 trailer and barely made it back on the road before the concrete barrier-bush thing, and then my dad side swiped/pinned a Dodge Magnum against a concrete barrier on accident because he thought the lane was condensing to one lane due to construction, and then we got lost in the Mojave Desert for an entire day... in August... and the U-haul had no A/C.) 

Whaaaaatttt???  :o You used to live in Portland? That's right next to where I live! Hmmm.....if you can make it up to Portland, we might able to work something out for like pooling our money for a train ticket or something. That's how I'm getting to Seattle from my house in SW Washington is the train. Message me ;)

And holy cheese that sounds like a hell of a drive!

-Txonä Rolyu

hì'ia tuté

Quote from: Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on May 03, 2012, 04:16:04 PM
Whaaaaatttt???  :o You used to live in Portland? That's right next to where I live! Hmmm.....if you can make it up to Portland, we might able to work something out for like pooling our money for a train ticket or something. That's how I'm getting to Seattle from my house in SW Washington is the train. Message me ;)

-Txonä Rolyu

getting to portland is just as expensive as getting to seattle unfortunately... by my calculations, I needed to have about $530 for hotel (with a roommate), food and museum costs... then anywhere from $200-$350 for transportation to seattle... currently, I have $428 in my account. :( I wouldn't even have enough for hotel, food & the museum. And school is officially done for me tomorrow...

Quote from: hì'i tuté on May 08, 2012, 01:04:31 PM

-Txonä Rolyu

getting to Portland is just as expensive as getting to Seattle unfortunately... by my calculations, I needed to have about $530 for hotel (with a roommate), food and museum costs... then anywhere from $200-$350 for transportation to Seattle... currently, I have $428 in my account. :( I wouldn't even have enough for hotel, food & the museum. And school is officially done for me tomorrow...

Well remember that with a roommate your cost for the room is cut in half. So even if you stay all 4 nights even with just one roommate, your cost would be $286 ($143/night x 4 nights/2 people) and even less the more roommates you get. As for transportation, if you do Greyhound or Amtrak let me know I can get you a discount on those, 15% on Amtrak and 20% on Greyhound. Plus, you know what....I think I still have an airline ticket for Portland/Seattle from last June that I never used. It's yours if you want it :)

-Txonä Rolyu

Edit: The room cost would be cheaper still if you stayed at the Best Western Loyalty Inn about 2.5 blocks away from the museum. There your cost would be $276 ($138/night x 4 nights/2 people). Don't forget to click the bar in my signature to checkout the AvatarMeet website to see who needs a roommate. I really want to make this happen for you :)

hì'ia tuté

my mom really doesn't want me taking Greyhound (my dad had a really bad experience on Greyhound when he used it to go from Portland to Las Vegas for his sister's wedding... there was a runaway, a purse theft, and a few other things that happened... plus he said it was durrty... lol) But she'd be cool if I took Amtrak, however, there are no trains leaving either Portland or Seattle on the monday the event ends... it's a shame that airline ticket isn't Phoenix/Seattle. :( and I don't think there's a way to change the starting point is there?

mikkowilson

Quote from: Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on May 09, 2012, 03:51:12 AM
Quote from: hì'i tuté on May 08, 2012, 01:04:31 PM

-Txonä Rolyu

getting to Portland is just as expensive as getting to Seattle unfortunately... by my calculations, I needed to have about $530 for hotel (with a roommate), food and museum costs... then anywhere from $200-$350 for transportation to Seattle... currently, I have $428 in my account. :( I wouldn't even have enough for hotel, food & the museum. And school is officially done for me tomorrow...

Well remember that with a roommate your cost for the room is cut in half. So even if you stay all 4 nights even with just one roommate, your cost would be $286 ($143/night x 4 nights/2 people) and even less the more roommates you get. As for transportation, if you do Greyhound or Amtrak let me know I can get you a discount on those, 15% on Amtrak and 20% on Greyhound. Plus, you know what....I think I still have an airline ticket for Portland/Seattle from last June that I never used. It's yours if you want it :)

-Txonä Rolyu

Edit: The room cost would be cheaper still if you stayed at the Best Western Loyalty Inn about 2.5 blocks away from the museum. There your cost would be $276 ($138/night x 4 nights/2 people). Don't forget to click the bar in my signature to checkout the AvatarMeet website to see who needs a roommate. I really want to make this happen for you :)

For the $10 difference, we strongly recommend you stay at the Best Western Executive inn. The Loyalty Inn is pretty much an "overflow" hotel, it's a few blocks away also.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Are you sure that there is no Amtrak train on the monday you need to depart? They are pretty reliable about their service.

I am taking Amtrak to/from AvatarMeet this year. And just bookeed a train trip to Chicago for Worldcon a few minutes ago. About half the cost of airfare, big, roomy seats and some 'down time' to relax and read!

Yawey ngahu!

hì'ia tuté

yeah... when I put in my travel dates for Amtrak, it has me leaving on Tuesday instead of Monday... However, now that I am officially done with this semester, and I'm looking at my account... I have $393.40 to my name... I figure if I had 3 roommates to share a hotel with, $30/day for food, and cost to get into the museum (I believe somebody here said last year people paired up to get a joint membership for $30?)... So, ignoring the 'how the hell do I get myself there' question... I would have *just* enough to pay for the hotel, food and museum ($323+tax)... but then I don't have enough to get to and from Seattle... or I'd have just enough for a plane ticket/Amtrak but then no way to pay for anything while I'm there.   :'(

And I jokingly said to my mom, unless my mom & dad decide to buy me a plane ticket for my birthday... and my mom laughed then said no... my parents are on a fixed income, so they wouldn't have enough to spare after bills & groceries.  :'( 

Edit: I called Amtrak, and the reason it keeps bumping me to the 24th is because the LAX connection doesn't leave until the 25th, so that's why it has me leaving Seattle on the 24th.

Quote from: hì'i tuté on May 09, 2012, 11:37:58 AM
my mom really doesn't want me taking Greyhound (my dad had a really bad experience on Greyhound when he used it to go from Portland to Las Vegas for his sister's wedding... there was a runaway, a purse theft, and a few other things that happened... plus he said it was durrty... lol) But she'd be cool if I took Amtrak, however, there are no trains leaving either Portland or Seattle on the monday the event ends... it's a shame that airline ticket isn't Phoenix/Seattle. :( and I don't think there's a way to change the starting point is there?

I"ll have to talk to my contact at Horizon Air and see if this can be done. I'd also need to see if there's any way to extend the value of it because it would expire in June. I'll get back to you on that ;)

-Txonä Rolyu