Aysänumvi leNa'vi Ultxaro (Na'vi lessons at the meetup)

Started by Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì, January 16, 2012, 02:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Niri Te

I signed up as  Numeyu in 101 on Tos, but thought that I ought to let you know here as well.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

AketuanNavi

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on February 04, 2012, 10:57:59 PM
Signed as Karyu 101 :)

Don't forget you have to teach me a few things on the way up to Seattle.   ;)

I'm in for the 101 in Seattle.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I hope 'Oma can teach all of us some things about phonology! I am looking forward to this part of the meetup more than any other. Karyu 101, possible numeyu 201, depending on how things work out.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Jane MacMillan

What do you consider 101 level versus 201? Is 101 for absolute beginners that have never studied the language before? If I have some vocab, decent pronunciation, and rough foundations of grammar, is that enough to get me into the 201 class?

mikkowilson

Quote from: Jane MacMillan on February 06, 2012, 11:01:27 PM
What do you consider 101 level versus 201? Is 101 for absolute beginners that have never studied the language before? If I have some vocab, decent pronunciation, and rough foundations of grammar, is that enough to get me into the 201 class?
I have this same question.

Oel plltxe kesìltsan leNa'vit.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: mikkowilson on February 07, 2012, 02:40:03 AM

- Mikko

I haven't figured out the curriculums yet and won't be doing that till school is out in June. I like the idea of a placement test tho, I will definitely try to come up with that as soon as I can...most likely the end of this month when I'm on break.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

mikkowilson

Clearly my Na'vi above was perfect, as you didn't correct any of it.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: mikkowilson on February 07, 2012, 02:40:03 AM

- Mikko

Ignoring the bound ke and the impropr use of -t for the moment, what you are essentially saying here is I speak not good Na'vily. That's passable, but kind of unclear in meaning. As far as grammar goes, noun cases cannot be used on anything but nouns. leNa'vi is an adjective. I added lì'fya as an object for the sentence, and this is where the patientive noun case marker goes. With the addition of the object noun, sìltsan needs an attributive a added to the end. With these corrections and unbinding the ke, we get:

Oel plltxe ke sìltsana lì'fyat leNa'vi.

Back on topic, knowing where 101 'ends' and 201 begins is a very good question. Depending on how and where this this works out, I could end up being a karyu rather than a numeyu for 201. I doubt that even 201 is going to get very 'deep' in the limited time we will have. But I do enjoy teaching, and have taught quite a few ham radio classes over the years. We will have to see what Txona cooks up!

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 07, 2012, 02:58:01 PM

Ignoring the bound ke and the impropr use of -t for the moment, what you are essentially saying here is I speak not good Na'vily. That's passable, but kind of unclear in meaning. As far as grammar goes, noun cases cannot be used on anything but nouns. leNa'vi is an adjective. I added lì'fya as an object for the sentence, and this is where the patientive noun case marker goes. With the addition of the object noun, sìltsan needs an attributive a added to the end. With these corrections and unbinding the ke, we get:

Oel plltxe ke sìltsana lì'fyat leNa'vi.

Back on topic, knowing where 101 'ends' and 201 begins is a very good question. Depending on how and where this this works out, I could end up being a karyu rather than a numeyu for 201. I doubt that even 201 is going to get very 'deep' in the limited time we will have. But I do enjoy teaching, and have taught quite a few ham radio classes over the years. We will have to see what Txona cooks up!

From reading the above, I need to be in level One-Zero-ZERO.  After my brain injury, and ensuing Aphasia, I hope you people don't expect much more out of me when it comes to speech than ten or fifteen phrases, HOPEFULLY in all three tenses.
I do better writing niNa'vi. because I have BOTH dictionaries, and a couple of cheat sheets open in front of me.
I know that there are a lot of people here that are pulling for me, and I am trying to get this down. I know what I think are a lot more root words than I thought that I would know, the HUGE problem comes with the grammar. I just hope and pray that I won't let any of you folks down. If I ever took some of you flying with me, and then showed you X-rays of my skull, you would know that I recovered well beyond anyone's wildest hopes, I just don't want to betray the faith that Ateyo and you wonderful people have in me.
Niri Te

Tirea Aean

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 07, 2012, 04:30:17 PM
It's actually Oe ke plltxe nìNa'vi nìltsan.

//OffT

Thanks! That is better. You don't see nìltsan used all that much, so this is instructive.

For the classes, I figure that we would just start with page 1 of Wm Annis's Na'vi Refrence Grammar and go from there... ::)

Seriously,, unless there was to be an emphasis on 'written' Na'vi, I would think that 101 would be about learning the sounds, and using the sounds to pronounce words and simple phrases. It would also introduce the unusual concepts of Na'vi-- infixing, lenition, free word order, octal numbers, etc. Linguistic lingo would be held at a minimum.

201 would concentrate more on written Na'vi. It would examine all of the basic building blocks of Na'vi discourse, without getting too heavy in any of the less important ones. When finished, they should be able to write a sentence using a transitive or intransitive verb, and maybe be able to use a relative clause.

Depending on interest level, the 101 course might be repeated more than once, perhaps in different places. 201 would probably be held just once. Neither class would run over 2 hours. This mirrors my experience with teaching amateur radio courses-- only about 1 in 4 students wants to move on to a higher level. But Txona Rolyu has the final say because it is his project.

A placement test is an intriguing idea. But I think a good course description would suffice to let potential numeyu decide what is right for them.

Above all though, the classes need to be fun. After all, we have come together to enjoy meeting with other members of the community, and not to sit in a classroom all day.

Niri Tee, we will make sure you learn without stumbling. If you can fly an aircraft, you can learn Na'vi! For you and Ateyo, you will probably get a good bit of tutoring on the long drive to Seattle (unless we get carried away talking about flying!).

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

Tee and I just talked about what you said and we think that except for perhaps thirty minutes of aircraft talk, both she and I would benefit greatly from getting tutored by you. I know that we can't monopolize the time for just Na'vi lessons, but even a little bit of it would help us both out greatly before meeting everyone. We will be the "new kids on the block", and having tried out our fledgeling Na'vi in the car, will make the both of us a lot less nervous.
Niri Te

Tirea Aean

Quote from: mikkowilson on February 07, 2012, 02:06:48 PM
Clearly my Na'vi above was perfect, as you didn't correct any of it.

- Mikko

Sorry I was in a hurry making the post. I don't have much time to be on the forums these days :(

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Prrton

mikkowilson

Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA