Driving from Phoenix to Seattle via Las Vegas (details inside)

Started by ExLibrisMortis, November 21, 2011, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Interesting. As it stands now then, we would have a full car load (2 in front, 3 in back) if we travel together. If we take two cars, then we would nave 3 in one, 2 in the other, and we could switch off from time to time. If people are planning on camping, we need to take everyone's luggage into consideration. For me, I am not going to be able to go backpacking (but there is the Boeing museum, the Woodland Park Zoo (a very nice zoo), and a wildlife sanctuary (that would be a private visit, though) for those days). I also have no real need to go camping, if that is impractical.

It will be interesting to see what Oma Tirea and AekutakNavi have in mind, and if we can all fit our plans together. If we can add them in, that would be 4 and 3 in two cars. This would be more meoauniaea!

Are any of you amateur radio operators?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Niri Te

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 23, 2012, 02:37:09 AM
Interesting. As it stands now then, we would have a full car load (2 in front, 3 in back) if we travel together. If we take two cars, then we would nave 3 in one, 2 in the other, and we could switch off from time to time. If people are planning on camping, we need to take everyone's luggage into consideration. For me, I am not going to be able to go backpacking (but there is the Boeing museum, the Woodland Park Zoo (a very nice zoo), and a wildlife sanctuary (that would be a private visit, though) for those days). I also have no real need to go camping, if that is impractical.

It will be interesting to see what Oma Tirea and AekutakNavi have in mind, and if we can all fit our plans together. If we can add them in, that would be 4 and 3 in two cars. This would be more meoauniaea!

Are any of you amateur radio operators?

My father was one, and was pushing me to become one when I was young, but I hated Norse Code, so I had no interest in becoming one. When I was not on Flight Status when I was in the Army, I was the Communications Officer, is two different units.
By the way, if we happen to be riding in the same car, I love to discuss the Bible, and it's deeper meanings.
Being as active as pilot as I am, The Boeing Museum is one of my favorite places in the State of Washington. Have you ever been to the Air and Space Museum in Smithsonian?
Niri  Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

ExLibrisMortis

I had a person try to get me interested in HAM radio. I was interested, but never had the time to get certified. Nevertheless I'd love to go the Boeing Mueseum as my plans is to work for Boeing in the future as an Aerospace engineer.

And as soon as you find out when their car is departing, it should not be hard at all for us to link up with them and form a caravan.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

We will  have to see if Oma Tirea and AkeutanNavi are reading this thread 9or perhaps drop them a PM) to see if we can get things coordinated early. This wold help in planning, and the sooner I can get the time off booked, the better.

The ham radio question had to do with traveling in multiple vehicles. If we had a ham in each car, we would have free, instant communications. BTW, you no longer need to know Morse Code to get a ham license, even for Extra class. The Morse Code requirement has gone away internationally, but the use of Morse Code is growing in popularity. Go figure!

It sounds like there might be some interest in this group in 'doing' the Boeing Museum. I think we can somehow arrange this.

Yawey ngahu!

ExLibrisMortis

Yeah, I'm all for setting things in(relative) stone early. Helps me cordon off certain logistics knowing that dates are (relatively, again) solid. 

Niri Te

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on January 23, 2012, 04:31:57 PM
Yeah, I'm all for setting things in(relative) stone early. Helps me cordon off certain logistics knowing that dates are (relatively, again) solid. 

AMEN TO THAT!!
Brie

'Oma Tirea

Tse, komum.  Aketuan oesì are planning on doing the backpacking and camping trip (I was initially planning on just the meetup although I figured it'd just be easier to carpool, plus there's the fun & adventure involved with camping).

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Irayo, ma Oma Tirea for chming in!

If you and AekutanNavi's intent is to do the backpacking thing, then we would need to leave Reno sometime Saturday morning if stopping overnight. If going 'straight through' and taking the faster route (up I-5 from about the Mt. Shasta area), it is about a 12 hour drive to Seattle, and works well if we switch off drivers. (Depending on the route chosen, the 'senic route adds 2-4 hours to this time) We would then have the option of leaving Reno early Sunday morning. On the way back, we would leave Seattle either Monday evening (or earlier if the Monday activities are inconsequential) or early Tuesday. This helps me, as I am 'pushing the envelope' in terms of allowed time off (and this is why I am trying to get this booked early). Otherwise, with a stop on the way home, and assuming a Tuesday morning departure, that puts everyone back in Reno late Wednesday.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Yawey ngahu!

ExLibrisMortis

My only concern is the longer we're there, the greater lodging costs become. I don't know if I will be participating on the hike or not.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on January 24, 2012, 03:05:27 PM
My only concern is the longer we're there, the greater lodging costs become. I don't know if I will be participating on the hike or not.

Your analysis of this situation is correct. Hotel costs are perhaps the #1 problem with this event.

I would like to hike, but the overnight is a problem for me-- trying to pack out camping gear + a CPAP machine + a battery to power it. Even without the CPAP, I do not have lightweight camping gear, and the good lightweight gear is not cheap. I would stay in a hotel instead, but not one in downtown Seattle (plus the hiking venue is well out of Seattle).

Camping, as long as it is reasonably close to a parking place is not a problem, and I would enjoy doing that. It is also inexpensive. And I think we will have a lot of Na'vi style fun!

Hotel costs can be kept down by sharing rooms. Last year, I shared our room with Evan and one other person, as well as a friend who traveled with me so he could see relatives. That said, not everyone may want to share a room.

Hotel costs can be further lowered by staying in a non-event hotel outside of Seattle City Center on non-event days. This is how I controlled costs last year. We could even do this during the event, but I suspect everyone here will want to be able to hang out with everyone else at the event hotel.

I would have no problem with letting AteukanNavi and Oma Tirea travel separately, and our group go for just the event or the event plus camping. But, if we can fix it so we all travel together, I think it would be much better.

Yawey ngahu!

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

I've been letting Niri Te speak for both of us.  I think some of this conversation is happening on Tree of Souls because she mentioned a tour of the Boeing Museum instead of the camping/backpacking event.
She found a cheaper, by nearly half, hotel near SeaTac that has a rail to the museum on the same corner as the MeetUp hotel.  The camping would be fun, but we haven't the gear, etc.

Niri Te

Tee and I need to know When we plan on getting there, because we NEED to get the motel paid for and reserved on the first of February, or there may NOT be any rooms available at that motel, and that is the ONLY one that we can afford for this year.
We just need to know what days, so that we can reserve the room accordingly.
Niri Te

ExLibrisMortis

Oddly enough that sounds like the place me and DJ Makto stayed at when we went to the meetup in July.

Honestly the dates is to be determined if our group wishes to do the clout or not. I personally will not be doing the hike, but I am rather excited regarding the Boeing mueseum.

Ito me it seems that Oma and Aketuan will be doing the hike. So it seems they will make their journey up there alot earlier than we would.

Also reading it seems that the camping portion of the trip is to have the 16th-18th. I would not mind going and camping for a day or two. I know the others here have expressed that they don't have camping gear, which is something I have access to in abundance. (my dad was the scoutmaster for my boy scouts troop of my church.) so if we want to, we can plan to get there either of the days and hang out with the campers.

Also I have not yet set up my accommodations for the event at all and would not be opposed to rooming up with others. (partially depends if my wife is coming)

Also, and idea for you Niri Te. I know you guys are looking at greyhound to get here to Phoenix, I know that here they have tons of different smaller airports that you guys might be able to fly into. If you need any help gathering info on that I might be able to assist y'all.

Niri Te

I used to have a house off of 99th Ave in Peoria, Az, and would fly out of the Glendale Airport, so I know the area, So let me think about it, I'll let you know this evening.
Tee and I have zero camping gear, and I think that if we brought gear, you car would reach critical mass. I, for one am looking forward to spending time on the trip talking aviation with you. I design, build and fly Experimental Aircraft, and now a LOT about the history of Aviation.
Brie

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I am well-equipped for camping gear, but not the super-light backpacking stuff. So, camping is not an issue for me. So, I am for doing the camping but not the backpacking. We need to figure out time to go to the Boeing museum and/or the zoo. But since I have seen both (and would enjoy seeing them again), I can skip these things if it makes for better trip logistics. I would like to get hotel rooms booked early as well. There is also the possibility that we could travel with AetukanNavi and Oma Tirea for the return portion of the trip, if that helps them.

Yawey ngahu!

DJ Makto

I'm not overly keen on going on the camping trip due to costs and time constraints from being away from my work. I also have not made hotel arrangement although I think I have already gotten several roommates?

ExLibrisMortis

So I figured I'd do a run down of projected costs:

• Hotel Room: $147 a night
  • Gas (To/from seattle): ~$800 roundtrip
  • Gas (In city/On location): ~$100
  • Parking: $18 a day
  • Food: ~$100 a person

Now you factor in certain things like there will be at least 4 of us, and we split the transportation/lodging costs...

Total Per person: $500

Now this does not include admission to various places and other things such as souvenirs. But as it stands that's what it looks like for us.

All estimates are just that, estimates. Also, currency is US dollars, if thats not understood already. Looking at flights and such, it is still cheaper to drive per person, and having the accessibility of a car is invaluable. Also, the estimates above factor in that we will be going for July 19-23. Fuel costs are estimated based on average prices of gas being $3.85/gal. I understand this is high, but I am using the top estimate just to give us some leeway. Also, the average MPG on my Kia is 17mi/gal. Like I said, I am still looking to see if I can get my hand on something a bit more bigger/better fuel mileage. Renting a vehicle for the event is an option too.

I might add that this is an amazing number, dollars wise, for a 5-6 day trip.

Now, here's a tentative schedule that seems to work based on what I've been reading here so far.

• Niri Te and Tee arrive here sometime on or prior to July 18th. Us three leave from phoenix on the 18th.
  • We swing through Las Vegas and pick up Dj Makto. Pushing through from there to Reno and staying the night.
  • July 19th morning, we continue from Reno up to Seattle and check into the Hotel and figure out what's going on
  • (Insert various Avatar Meet activites throughout the event)
  • (Insert date we all want to go to the Boeing Mueseum)
  • Depending on the Events of July 23rd, we leave that monday morning and make the trek back toward LV/Reno/Phoenix.
  • When we get to Reno, we take a consensus on how everyone is doing, and decide either to push another 6 hours to LV, or shack up in Reno
  • By the 24th, everyone is back to Phoenix/Las Vegas

Like I said, tentative. Let me know if anyone wants to solidify anything or change anything. That's about where we're at though.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

ExLibris,
    Your itinerary is a good start! A few questions/comments, though.

1. Does your itinerary include picking me up in Reno, or having me join in a separate vehicle?
2. Where in here do you think a Boeing museum visit would fit?
3. How many hotel rooms does this include? I think that we will easily use two rooms.
4. For overnights in Reno, I am assuming this means staying at my place. This works best if a couple
    peole at least, are willing to camp (and I can supply tents, etc. if that helps), as floor space in the house
    is limited.

With this many people, and assuming we all travel in one vehicle, renting a small van is very much worth looking into. How would that change the budget?

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

That sounds good to me, do you want the money up front? I can put it in your hand, (actually send you a USPS Money order) on the first of March if you like, or Tee and I can just bring the money with us, your choice.
Brie (aka Niri Te)

ExLibrisMortis

Brie, I would be more comfortable if you brought it with you as that will insulate me from anything that could happen. I'm not saying anything will happen, I've just had some life experiences regarding being falsely accused in monetary troubles, and I'd rather not go through that again if I can help it. Once again, not saying that any of that will happen.

Eylan, This estimate was based on having 4 people in my Kia. I noticed that I -can- fit 5 people, but it is not going to make it a comfortable ride at all for those in the back. In terms of renting a car, I am only 22 so some companies will want to charge a fee for me not being older than 25. Looking around at various rental companies, this is what I got. These are vehicles that should, emphasis on should, fit 5 people comfortably. Rental dates I'm adding in websites are July 18th-24th, to give us leeway.

(These prices are not including the underage (under 25) driver surcharge. That tends to be $25 per day. I figure we can get around that if someone like Niri Te rents the car. I believe all rates include taxes... All of these are renting from PHX Sky Harbor.)
Avis (minivan): $831
Budget (minivan): $586
Alamo(minivan): $861
Hertz (minivan): $756
Enterprise(minivan):$956
Advantage(minivan):$560
Thrifty(minivan): $556
Dollar(minivan):$556

So these prices are in total prices, not split between us 5. Also, the prices I add up a few posts back are split 4 ways, not 5 ways. Recalculating that, and adding in prices of a rental, we get...

Estimated total: $450

This is not including your own food expenditures and the possibility of all 5 of us sharing a room. 5 people in one hotel room is a bit... So just incase one of us decides to go elsewhere, prices with 4 people splitting a room is...

Estimated 4 person lodging total: $480

Estimates use lowest costing minivan rental. Also, estimates are not adjusted for new MPG variables. Minivans tend to be more fuel efficient than my Kia.

To answer the question on when we'd like to go to the Boeing Museum, what we should do is put it out there on the forums and see if we can't get it working into the official Avatar Meet schedule, or see if others would be interested in going also.