Driving from Phoenix to Seattle via Las Vegas (details inside)

Started by ExLibrisMortis, November 21, 2011, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan nang! This plan fits perfectly into the available resources I have available to do this trip. That will free up resources for a planned long trip in August or September, to make that more successful.

For the stayovers at my place, I have room for two to sleep on the floor, and plenty of room outside for a tent, etc. I can provide a suitable tent and the stuff that goes with it, so there is no need to worry about that. It would be a good idea, especially for us guys, to make sure we have sleeping bags, etc. anyway, as at least one person will have to sleep on the floor in Seattle. Also, anything you will not need in Seattle can stay at my place, and you can pick it up on the return trip. From the timing, it looks like we will be eating on the road on the way up, and the turnaround is short, so I will not be concerned about food. On the way back, we might have time for breakfast some place.

For the trip itself, I can supply a 'SatNa'vi' GPS programmed to speak in Na'vi, and I have several places in Seattle already programmed in from last summer. And of course, bring your cameras, as we will encounter some spectacular scenery, which ever route we end up taking!

We should do our detailed planning off of a public forum, either by PM's here, or by email.

AketuanNavi, I understand your situation, too. After thinking about it long and hard, it just made little sense to 'jump ship' at this late time, plus there were more planning logistics involved that didn't contribute directly to the trip. And I do know at least one of your proposed routes is faster (but beware of slow roads in eastern Oregon!). But if your plans do change, you can still stop over on the way, or join us as a caravan.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

DJ Makto

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on January 31, 2012, 05:19:19 PM
Ok then, here's what the schedule looks like for Avatar Meet in terms of our group. Let me know if something doesn't jive or what not.

July 17th: Niri Te and Tee arrive in Phoenix.
July 18th 6AM: I depart from my house, pick up Niri and Tee and start the trek toward Las Vegas
July 18th 12PM-1PM: We arrive in Vegas and pick up Dj Makto. We leave for Reno
July 18th 9PM-10PM: We arrive in Reno at Eylan's place. We sleep for the night.
July 19th 4 to 6 AM: We leave Reno and power our way to Seattle.
July 19th 4-6PM: We arrive in Seattle.
July 20th: Avatar Meet!
July 21st: ? ? ? ?
July 22nd: Profit!
===Now this is where it gets tricky===
July 23rd: (Optional Day)
July 24th: With the option of having 23rd be this day, we go to the Boeing museum, have fun there.
July 24th/25th: We head back down towards Reno, stay the night.
July 25th/26th: We make the final trek back to Las Vegas/Phoenix and call a good time good.

So that's the set schedule. I notice one thing. Rental companies have a "per week" rate that will probably be our hard limiter on our dates. Thus said, it seems that the 25th is when I will need to return the car. So, the 25th is when I need to be back here, with the car. That being said, we can still do the trip to the Boeing museum on the 24th, but we'd have to drive through the night to get back. Option? Sure. Recommended? No really.

Other than that, those are proposed as hard dates. Once I get a confirmation from everyone here saying this is muy beuno, then they are set.

This itinerary looks perfect. I am definitely down for it.  :)

ExLibrisMortis

Cool so once Niri Te and Tee formally approve-stamp this thing then its bueno. Also, can everyone PM me their emails so that I can start planning in detail monetary expenditures and be able to group mail everyone at once.

Niri Te

It is signed stamped, and delivered to you from Niri Te and Tee. The only thing that I need to know is should I book the 19th through the 24th, or the 19th, through the 23rd. I am waiting to know how many nights we need to book for. Waiting with my debit card in hand, Niri Te.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

NiriTe is cracking the whip to begin my Na'vicize workout routine.  I plan to loose at least 20 pounds before I even dare consider wearing a loincloth.  Whatever color I come as, I will be 20 pounds trimmer!
I've got my own personal drill instructor!
Ateyo/Tee

Niri Te

I went up on the site and found out that there were only two rooms remaining for those dates, so I booked Tee's and my room for a july 19th check in, and a july 24th checkout. With only two remaining rooms, I had to lock one of them up NOW.
Niri Te

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!

DJ Makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 01, 2012, 08:03:01 PM
ELM, are you booking the other room, or do I need to?

I booked a room in Seattle (Best Western Executive Inn) tonight for the aforementioned dates.

P.S. 'Eylan give me a shout if you are attending this years NAB. I am 90% sure I will be going again this year.

Niri Te

By "Other room", did you guys get the the other non smoking, twin Queen bed, motel room in the same motel that Tee and I did?
Niri Te

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Thanks, DJ for taking care of this. It looks like we are all set then as far as hotel rooms go (Just to make sure, you and ELM and I are sharing this room).

As far as NAB goes, plans are still up in the air for that. I am waiting to see what my exhibitor friend is planning on doing. This year, I think we will be sharing rooms, and he has been able to get a room in a uber-close hotel for a reasonable rate the last two years. (No more staying at the MGM Grand. They closed the lion habitat :-(  ) In return though, there will be some back-breaking work helping him schlep film scanners around...

In any case, if I am able to go, it will be on my own time, and we can have more time to have lunch, discuss plans, etc.

And I am assuming Avatar Nation will be at the meetup in full force this year??

Yawey ngahu!

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Niri Te on February 02, 2012, 12:15:22 AM

By "Other room", did you guys get the the other non smoking, twin Queen bed, motel room in the same motel that Tee and I did?
Niri Te

No we booked the room at the place where everyone is staying. It's the best western marke on the avatar meet website.

Niri Te

There was NO WAY that we could swing that money-wise, the place that we are staying at is half the price of the one most of the people are staying at. If we didn't get the deal that we got, we wouldn't be going till 2013.
Niri Te

ExLibrisMortis

Yeah that's fine. We figured ya'll were gonna get your own room at a different hotel anyways.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I am assuming then, that there is an easy way between the two hotels so that Ateyo and Niri will not have to miss any activities.

I would have been a bit (pleasantly) surprised if the rooms at the event hotel were already that full. The more people that attend, the more fun everyone will have!

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 02, 2012, 03:21:29 PM
I am assuming then, that there is an easy way between the two hotels so that Ateyo and Niri will not have to miss any activities.

I would have been a bit (pleasantly) surprised if the rooms at the event hotel were already that full. The more people that attend, the more fun everyone will have!

Ma tsmukan. Our room is a seven minute walk from the Light rail station on the east side of the airport. Just hop the train into Seattle, grab the connection, and get off by the hotel, it is not tough at all for someone used to taking the train from Bad Tolz to the Munich Hauptbahnhof, walking across the HBF to the S Bahn, taking the S.Bahn to the U Bahn, taking that to within eight blocks of Radio Free Europe, going up to street level and grabbing a Tram to within a hundred yards of the front door of RFE, then reversing everything for the trip home,
Niri Te

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I just don't want to see your enjoyment of this event dampened by having to work on transportation a good deal of the time. I know last year I had to help a few folks get around because I had a car there.

You worked for RFE? As a working broadcast engineer, we will have to talk about that....

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

And here I thought we were just going to talk about Flying, Military Flying, Experimental Aircraft design, construction, and flying, and perhaps Hunting, Mountain Climbing, XC Skiing, and sailing. Oh well, it will keep us from talking politics, or religion while on that long road trip.
If I mentioned ed Harrington, would you know who I was talking about?
Niri Te

DJ Makto

Quote from: Niri Te on February 02, 2012, 07:18:59 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 02, 2012, 03:21:29 PM

Ma tsmukan. Our room is a seven minute walk from the Light rail station on the east side of the airport. Just hop the train into Seattle, grab the connection, and get off by the hotel, it is not tough at all for someone used to taking the train from Bad Tolz to the Munich Hauptbahnhof, walking across the HBF to the S Bahn, taking the S.Bahn to the U Bahn, taking that to within eight blocks of Radio Free Europe, going up to street level and grabbing a Tram to within a hundred yards of the front door of RFE, then reversing everything for the trip home,
Niri Te

That sounds remarkably like where we stayed the last year (near the airport).

ExLibrisMortis

About the light rail, we used that same system also. It seems, to me, that you are staying in the exact same hotel me and DJ makto did this past meetup. The light rail takes about an hour to get in from that station. Just a heads up.

Also, please make sure you all PM me your email info so I can start throwing around more sensitive informations.