Driving from SoCal to Seattle (Two Day Trip)

Started by Txura Rolyu, November 10, 2011, 12:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txura Rolyu

I am still planning this all out and this is preliminary.
I will be adding info to this post as I make decisions.
I am looking for a person who lives in CA that would like to make a trek all the way up to Seattle in a two day trip. I am open to picking up somebody in the Bay Area or somewhere very close to the 5 fwy as I drive north to the meetup.  :)

The biggest thing I am looking for is a person that can take a long trip sitting for up to 4 hours at a time in my car. I would like to share the experience of a road trip with somebody to make it more fun.

My plan is to take the 5 freeway all the way there but, like I said, if there is somebody in the Bay Area I can swing out of the way and take you along. I will drive you back once the meet was all finished and only ask for your help splitting the cost of fuel and the one night stay for the part of the trip you accompany me on.

NOTE: I plan on taking part in the camping/hiking pre-meet events so if are going with me I would hope you are a part of that too, unless you have a plan to stay for free up in Seattle until the actual meet begins. I will be making my drive up set for the 12th of July

I will have a way of playing music from an iPod so you can bring a mix of tunes that you would like to play.  ;)

Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Might also want to mention your estimated travel time of 17.5 hours ;)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txura, if I am able to go, I would seriously consider your offer. I would meet you in Marysville (unless you wanted to swing over to Reno, which is about 2 hours each way off your route, but two out of three possible routes out of Reno includes some very nice scenery), which is about 40 minutes north of Sacramento, and I have a place there where I can park my car for a week. I am the kind of traveling companion you would want....can sit for long stretches without bio breaks, etc, and could help with driving if you want. I would have full navigational aids, as I am familiar with the route. And I have all sorts of music I could contribute to the cause. This would also make it easier to participate in some of the 'outlier' activities, as I could bring camping gear, etc.

However, I will not have any idea if I am going to be able to go until at least late January. There is another, higher priority event that is likely to conflict with this (the Feline Conservation Federation convention), and they won't set the date for the convention until the first or second BOD meeting of next year.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

AketuanNavi

QuoteNOTE: I plan on taking part in the camping/hiking pre-meet events

Would that be both the backpacking and camping then? people that went with you would either have to go backpacking with us, or stay the night somewhere else on Sunday...

also, I am driving up to Seattle from Loveland Colorado. I am going backpacking and camping. There is room in my car for 3 others. Oma Tirea (who lives literally 30 minutes from me) will likely be joining me, as well Raiden in Oregon. If anyone is on a "direct" route or close and would like to join, just PM me.  :)

I may also join in on this, not quite sure yet. My mate and I have been talking about going to visit a friend in Vegas then the 3 of us flying up together. Of course I have no idea if I'm still even going to be in Cali next summer, I may be at my Washington home in which case I'll join the convoy right on the 5 in Vancouver :) Hopefully my mate will be with me too.

-Txonä Rolyu

Txura Rolyu

@ 'Eylan: I will keep you in mind. I forgot to mention though that my car is a 1967 VW bug... So its pretty small :P

@ Aketuan: yes I would be taking part in the hiking and backpacking. I put somewhere in my first post that the person would either have to find somewhere to stay while I am doing the camping and hiking or be a part of the pre meetup events.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Txura Rolyu

I just spoke with a friend and they suggested that I really not do this all in one day. More like two. I want to have enough energy to do all the hiking and all the fun things that will be going on at the meetup, rather than stay passed out in the hotel the whole time.  :P

Seze Mune

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on November 10, 2011, 06:23:52 PM
I just spoke with a friend and they suggested that I really not do this all in one day. More like two. I want to have enough energy to do all the hiking and all the fun things that will be going on at the meetup, rather than stay passed out in the hotel the whole time.  :P

I gotta agree with this.  Two days would be the minimum.  Check out couchsurfing.org for a place for y'all to stay overnight.

Txura Rolyu

After looking at the maps here I think my little car would not make the trip through the mountins on the way to Reno and back over onto the 5 fwy to get to Seattle. So for 'Eylan Ayfalulukan I dont think I will be able to swing that direction and pick you up.  :(  Sorry.

Txura Rolyu

From now on I will be updating the top post as I make more decisions. I will just post "Update" if I change something.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txura,
    You are right. A Volkswagon beetle would be cramped with both of us in it (not to mention camping equipment, etc.). You could get over the Sierra in that, but you would be working hard.
    One possibility is transferring to my car in Marysville, but we would have to take turns driving as it is a good 10 hours from there (I think)(The ignition lock won't fail again ;)  )

Regardless of what happens, the advice to split the drive into two days is a good one. A good stopping point would be somewhere between Sacramento and Medford, OR.

AketuanNavi, one possible route (and a fairly good one) from Colorado would take you through Reno, and I was kind of thinking last year that Oma Tirea and some other would come that way and we could carpool/convoy. That is certainly a possibility again (if I can go). In any case, if you go that way and even if I don't go, you have a place you can stay....with falulukan next door!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

AketuanNavi

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 10, 2011, 09:07:19 PM
   AketuanNavi, one possible route (and a fairly good one) from Colorado would take you through Reno, and I was kind of thinking last year that Oma Tirea and some other would come that way and we could carpool/convoy. That is certainly a possibility again (if I can go). In any case, if you go that way and even if I don't go, you have a place you can stay....with falulukan next door!

Irayo for the offer. I just checked googleMaps, and it is a viable route to go through Reno. I was initially planning on making to to OR in one day. By going through Reno it would take 2...but less effort in one day. I guess i'll check out the rest of the options and we can see if something will work.  :)

Txura Rolyu

Part of the reason that I am going on this trip in my car specifically is because I have wanted to do a raod trip in it since I restored it. I have not had the chance yet and I would like to make this one trip while I still can. So leaving it in Reno would defeat the purpose and I would constanly be worried about it while I was away from it.

BUMP!

So...looks like I'll be at my home in Washington so if y'all want to pop in you should be able to. I'll talk it over with the folks when we get closer to the meet up. They were ok with it last year, I'm sure they'll be ok this year too :)

-Txonä Rolyu