GREYHOUND TO SEATTLE

Started by Ateyo Te Syaksyuk, December 15, 2011, 06:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Help us solve this!:We already know that there are no Avatar fans with 500 miles of us.
Niri Te and I (Ateyo Le Syaksyuk) have very old vehicles and even our airplane is 70 years old with no radio.  So it would be illegal for us to land there. We will probably opt for taking a bus from El Paso, Texas. We want to do the camping and hiking trip, and are wondering if we camped there the entire week, would it be feasible to get public transportation each day to the convention from the campsite? We are determined to be there. The hotel rates are very dear, though not prohibitive! We aren't comfortable rooming with others.  Aren't there any Motel Sixes near the convention that have public transportation?

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Ateyo le Syaksyuk on December 15, 2011, 06:18:12 PM
Help us solve this!:We already know that there are no Avatar fans with 500 miles of us.
Niri Te and I (Ateyo Le Syaksyuk) have very old vehicles and even our airplane is 70 years old with no radio.  So it would be illegal for us to land there. We will probably opt for taking a bus from El Paso, Texas. We want to do the camping and hiking trip, and are wondering if we camped there the entire week, would it be feasible to get public transportation each day to the convention from the campsite? We are determined to be there. The hotel rates are very dear, though not prohibitive! We aren't comfortable rooming with others.  Aren't there any Motel Sixes near the convention that have public transportation?

Well I don't know where exactly the campground is so I wouldn't be able to tell you much about public transportation to/from there, but if you stayed at the clan hotel, you and Niri Te can get a single-bed room to yourselves. That's what my mate and I will be doing. Any hotel you go to you will be, in a sense, 'rooming with others.' I think it would be much more fun if you stayed at the clan hotel, we will be having lots of group events there including a clan viewing of Avatar which will be in the evening. If you stayed at the campground, you may not be able to get back there on the bus after the movie. If you're determined to stay at a Motel 6, there unfortunately is not one near the museum. The nearest one is about 20 minutes away driving. Idk about busses, but it would definitely be longer than 20 minutes unless you could find an express one or something that takes I-90. (The museum is at Broad and 5th)

-Txonä Rolyu

Edit: I just looked up busses in Issaquah and it looks like you want either #210 or #218, tho both only run on weekdays and the majority of the meet up will be on the weekend.

Duple edit: I looked closer and it looks like #210 will go right by the Motel 6 but it has a limited schedule and like I said, only runs on weekdays

Triple edit: Although, there are other Motel 6s nearby. There's the link if you want to look for another. The Seattle busses are King County Metro. Hope all this helps :)

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Irayo ma Txonä!
Srane, Yawne Niri Te si Oe will stay at the clan hotel.  Kxawm, you can help us carpool with someone from the Greyhound terminal to the campground or Greyhound terminal to the Airport where we can take the shuttle to the campground? Will will rederve our room on the 30th.
FPOM NA'VIDAD!

I can't really help you much with carpools, those are everyone's own thing. There is one carpool that I know of that is leaving from Colorado and going to Seattle for the camping trip, but Idk if it's full or not. I believe AketuanNa'vi leading that one. He might be able to help you in Seattle but you'd have to ask him. Like I said, carpools are everyone's own thing.

-Txonä Rolyu

Toruk Makto

I will have a rental car while there. We may can work something out.

Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Ateyo le Syaksyuk on December 16, 2011, 01:09:21 PM
Irayo ma Txonä!
Srane, Yawne Niri Te si Oe will stay at the clan hotel.  Kxawm, you can help us carpool with someone from the Greyhound terminal to the campground or Greyhound terminal to the Airport where we can take the shuttle to the campground? Will will rederve our room on the 30th.
FPOM NA'VIDAD!

Ok, a few important things here...

Yes, there are a couple of carpools out there to help you.

The shuttle from the airport to the campground is for the camping trip only. If you are wanting to go backpacking, you have to get your own arrangements. The backpacking is before the camping.

Also the backpacking trip will be strenuous with 16 miles total and around 4,000 ft elevation gain, with a stay in the middle of nowhere. You will also need to provide your own gear for the backpacking/Camping trips.

Niri Te

Ma Aketuan,
  The strenuous aspect of the hike doesn't bother me, I have climbed many of the mountains in Germany.
The problem may come with ma yawnetu, as she is not in shape. She has asked me to put her in shape by July, so we will start in February. If she is going to hurt herself on the climb, then we will just do the camping portion, as well as the meet. Only time will tell. If we do not go on the hike, you guys keep the monies paid as our donation to the cause, so please leave us on the list. She and I have been together for eighteen years, and I know her. She may be chubby now, but because of her determination, I know for a fact that her personal Drill Sgt., (me), will be able to whip her into shape.
Our big problem will be with travel. For those of you that have read that we have several aircraft, we DO, but all but one of them are ultralights, and the one "real" airplane is a restored antique 1940 Taylorcraft that has NO electrical system, they weren't built that way, hence none of the equipment required to enter a 60 mile radius of Sea Tac Airport. The closest that we could fly the Taylorcraft into would be the little airport in Arlington, north of the Seattle area, and then we would have no way down to Seattle.
Our vehicles are all around 25 years old, and that is a LONG trip from 90 miles east of El Paso, Texas.
As a result of that, and the fact that we get VERY uncomfortable when someone we don't know does the flying, we will be taking the bus up there. I have plenty of time to figure out how to get around from the Clan hotel and the backpacking/camping, so we WILL be there, if we have to get the room the night before the backpacking trip, as well as the clan meeting itself.
Niri Te

Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Niri Te

That would be great, we travel light, even WITH the back packs.  We will see if we can firm up exactly the what, where, and how's in the text two months. Then we will know exactly what will happen.
Niri Te

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 16, 2011, 06:20:16 PM
I will have a rental car while there. We may can work something out.

Markì

Alan

Quote from: Ateyo Te Syaksyuk on December 15, 2011, 06:18:12 PM

As usual I'm like a Palalulukan's tail - always behind!  Hehehe.

Anyway hopefully I will be able to give you a bit of info, some of which you may already know, but hey  :D

15th - 16th July Backpacking Trip in the Olympic National Park
Transport is not being organised for this.  The options are to drive, car pool, rent a car, or use public transport and taxi/get picked up.

16th - 19th July Camping at the Sol Duc Campsite doing all sorts of things!
A shuttle is being organised to take attendees from Sea-Tac Airport to the campsite on the Monday and then return people to Seattle on the Thursday morning.  If you are already in Seattle there is an excellent tram service from the city centre to the Airport and only cost $2.75 when I last checked.  The cost of the shuttle will be in the region of $30-$50 each way and will take about 3 hours for the 120-odd mile journey with a stop along the way.

19th -23rd July AvatarMeet 2012 in Seattle
For those on the camping trip the shuttle bus will take people from the campsite to Seattle.  Again this will be in the region of $30-$50.

Below is a map of the area to give you an idea of the geography of where the places are:

I've just had a quick look on the Greyhound wedsite and if you want to go on the back packing trip you will need to get to Seattle on the Saturday really as the Sunday arrive is at 16:45.  This would mean you would need to leave El Paso on the Thursday.  If you were to do just the Camping part, you would need to arrive on the Sunday in order to be sure to catch the shuttle on the Monday.  But what it does mean is that you get chance to have a quick look round Seattle.  The fare ranges fron $220 to $394. Looking at the bus schedule there are 4 transfer, one of which is at 03:30 in the morning!!!

Another possibility is going by train.  I checked out Amtrak's website and there is a route to seattle via Los Angeles (same as the bus), but with only one change (in LA) at 08:30 in the morning to get the 10:25 to Seattle.  It also includes sleeping accommodation by the looks of it.  The cost comes out at $520 for the two of you, but then meals and beds seem to be included, but you would have to check it out.  Almost seems like a landcruise!

The other option is air.  Ok I know someone else will be flying the plane, but hey, it's an option.  A quick look revealed that there are a shed load of options.  Most of which are via a stop in Los Angeles, (Why does everything go through LA? :-\) with American Airlines, Alaska Airlines or Continental.  Prices start at the $399 for two with a journey time of between 6 1/2 and 8 1/2 hours.  So just slightly fast than the train or bus.   ;)... ;D

Well, hope that helps you on your way and we look forward to seeing you at the Meet Up.

Kiyevame,

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Amtrak is a wonderful way to travel, and I enjoy it very much. But there are some things you need to know about the fare Alan quoted. First, it appears that this fare ($540 for two people) is one way. It DOES NOT include sleeping car and dining privileges.  The seats on an Amtrak train are big and roomy, and many people sleep in their seats. Dining and a comprehensive snack bar are also available for a price, but many people bring food with them. You do need to eat it at your seat. If you want a sleeper, the fares are significantly more expensive, but dining is included.

Also, the earlier you book a trip on Amtrak, the less you pay. Right now, if I knew I was able to go, I could get a very good rate from Reno to Seattle. Hopefully, the rate will still be low when I find out the dates. I would MUCH prefer the train to flying, especially if I am planning to camp. Luggage allowances on Amtrak are much more generous than any airline.

The last thing to know about Amtrak is that they are notorious for being late. This isn't because Amtrak is slacking off, but because they are at the mercy of freight trains, who often have priority. Plan accordingly.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Niri Te

THANKS guys, Tee and I will process all that information, and will come to a decision some time in the next week to ten days.
Niri Te

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Irayo ma Alan!
If I am not mistaken, you are in Derbyshire.
(I've got a friend in Derby,works the tellie for ASDA, the grocery store chain)
I am impressed that you have done a lot of research on our behalf!
That warms my heart.
And Ma 'Eylan it would make me very happy to meet you.  I hope you can make it to Siatll !
And Txona Rolyu, I am writing a song that perhaps I can share around the campfire!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Alan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 24, 2011, 10:40:06 PM
Amtrak is a wonderful way to travel, and I enjoy it very much. But there are some things you need to know about the fare Alan quoted. First, it appears that this fare ($540 for two people) is one way. It DOES NOT include sleeping car and dining privileges.  The seats on an Amtrak train are big and roomy, and many people sleep in their seats. Dining and a comprehensive snack bar are also available for a price, but many people bring food with them. You do need to eat it at your seat. If you want a sleeper, the fares are significantly more expensive, but dining is included.

Also, the earlier you book a trip on Amtrak, the less you pay. Right now, if I knew I was able to go, I could get a very good rate from Reno to Seattle. Hopefully, the rate will still be low when I find out the dates. I would MUCH prefer the train to flying, especially if I am planning to camp. Luggage allowances on Amtrak are much more generous than any airline.

The last thing to know about Amtrak is that they are notorious for being late. This isn't because Amtrak is slacking off, but because they are at the mercy of freight trains, who often have priority. Plan accordingly.

Irayo Eylan Ayfalulukanä for the extra info.  I was probably being to quick on the Amtrak website and not reading the blurb - hehehe.  I totally agree with you that ravelling by train really is the best for of land transport...but then I would - I'm a rail enthusiast!  I might not own a car, but I do own a railway carriage of all things!  It's a bit of a rust bucket at the moment - I call it my retirement project!

I had heard that passenger train take second place to frieght over in the US.  That just seems so odd to me.  I would have thought people mattered more than frieght, but hey-ho.  Over in the UK there are passenger charters that the rail companies have to meet, and punctuallity is one of them.  One thing I will say about travel in the UK, no matter what form it is, is hellishly expensive.  I went into Nottingham the other day (about 7 mile) and it cost me £3:80 return, which is about $6!!!  When I came over to Seattle for the June meet up it was $2.50 for a 15 mile ride on the tram from the airport to Seattle city centre!  You folks don't know how good you have got it!  Hehehe

Anway, I really hope you can make it to Seattle in 2012.  The date for the meet up are above if that is what you were refering to.  Have to registered on www.AvatarMeet.com?  ;)

Quote from: Ateyo Te SyaksyukIrayo ma Alan!
If I am not mistaken, you are in Derbyshire.
(I've got a friend in Derby,works the tellie for ASDA, the grocery store chain)
I am impressed that you have done a lot of research on our behalf!
That warms my heart.
And Ma 'Eylan it would make me very happy to meet you.  I hope you can make it to Siatll !

No worries ma 'eylan.  Yep, I'm slap bang in the middle of the UK!  Wow, you know someone in Derby - small world, hey?  Yeah I know Asda alright.

No worries about the info.  You are most welcome.  I'm one of the planning team, so it's my job.  I'm just a bit slow - hehehe.  As for whether I will be coming to Seattle?  Well, is does a palulukan have a sharp end?   Hehehe - HELL YEAH!!!!

Hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas time.

Kiyevame,

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Alan, expensive as it night be, rail and most other forms of public transportation in England are far superior to what we have here. The only one that might be better is air travel because the US is very large compared to England, or even Europe.

I do know the mwwtup dates. What I was referring to (and now realize I forgot to finish the sentence!) is I need to know what the dates of the Feline Conservation Federation convention are before I can schedule any travel. That said, the FCF appears to be taking a very dangerous new direction, and I may end up skipping them this year. 'Na'viCon' sounds a whole lot more fun right now than cat-politics.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alan

Ahhh, yes, 'Eylan.  I remember you mentioning it a while back.  I must admit I am biased and would hope you can make it to the AvatarMeet - hehehe :D  Hope things sort themselves out in your FCF though.

I wouldn't put yourself down too much in the public transport side of things.  I came across to your side of the pond for the first time this year (2011!) and ok I only visited New York and Seattle, but I was amazed at what was available.  Especially in Seattle.  You have trolley buses, trams, mono rail, trains and buses!!!  How cool is that?

Ok I know it is not all like that everywhere over your way and the result is for the majority of folks in the US have no choice but to drive.  I'm not sure I would survive if I lived over your way as I don't drive (I had a go but I couldn't cope with it all - my failing).  Maybe there is an opportunity to campaign for better integrated rapid public transport over your way, but I guess that would be a bit of an uphill struggle.  It is over here, but things are slowly getting better over time.  We now have trams in Nottingham again and the network is expanding.

I agree air travel is really the better way to travel in the US.  Took CyanRachel and I 5 hours to travel from New York to Seattle.  I think the longest flight in the UK is about 1 1/2 hours - and that is probably because it is a turboprop and not a jet!  Hehehe.

Ooo, I appear to have gone perpenducular to the orgininal topic! Hehehe.

Alan

We have almost all of those here in Portland too. Busses, light rail trains, an actual train, and even an aerial tram! That thing is awesome! It's pretty easy to get around here. But is sucks in CA tho, at least in the area my school is in. It's not bad around my mate's house. It took 5 hours from New York to Seattle because you were flying 'backwards' through the timezones and gaining hours. And yes, this thread does appear to have been hijacked lol :P

-Txonä Rolyu

Niri Te

As bad as the crime can be around L.A., Tee and I would rather go to Seattle via Spokane if anyone could be kind enough to look up the specifics as to timing, and price for us.
I am not afraid of some looser trying to rob us, I just don't want to get carted down to the local Police Station for literally dismembering the jerk that tries it, because, after all, he had a bad childhood.
NiriTe

Alan

Just a quick look revealed the price for two, retune to Spokane from El Paso, is in the region of $440 and goes via Denvor.  Jouney time about 1 day 19 hours with three transfers.  Here is the link, but incase it doesn't work check out www.greyhound.com:

https://www.greyhound.com/farefinder/step2.aspx

Hope that helps :D

Alan

Niri Te

Irayo ma Alan, The link was VERY useful.
Niri Te

Alan