Lose Weight With Us For AvatarMeet 2012

Started by Sarah Noel, April 24, 2012, 10:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Noel

Over the weekend, I learned Raiden wanted to lose 20lbs before the meet up for his cosplay, this was about the same amount I want to lose too and decided we should do it together, to keep each other motivated. Then I thought, why stop there, lets get everyone involved who wants to be.

Everyone is welcome to be as involved in this as they want, but to join the AvatarMeet 2012 Weight Loss Pact I would suggest:

• Reading this article if you don't know how calories work
  • Signing up for myfitnesspal.com It's free!
  • friend me on myfitnesspal, my username is sarahkatenoel_
  • Post username so others can friend you
  • Begin logging diet and exercise on myfitnesspal, the free mobile app is great for this, but you can do it online if you don't have a device

If you don't want to use myfitnesspal that's fine, again be as involved as you feel comfortable, you can do the entire thing exclusively on this thread if you want, or in a spreadsheet or notebook, whatever. Post whatever you like. Starting weights, goal weights, ect.

I would suggest that everyone take some before pictures, in tight fitting clothes or underwear from the front and from the side. No need to post them if you don't want to, it's mostly just for personal gratification at the end. I wish I had some when I weighed a whopping 170.

Sadly I don't know much about toning muscle, which some already skinny people might want to do instead, if anyone would like to jump in and explain that be my guest.

The rest of this post is more of my personal post, but I run through some math in it that might be helpful for some:
As I write this we have 85 days, about 12 weeks, until the meet up. I want to lose 20lbs, (I weigh 150lbs), that's 1.66 pounds a week so I need a net loss of 5810 calories a week. (1lb = 3500cal).

I've also posted a corresponding thread on ToS.

Niri Te

For those who want to tone, but not build muscle bulk, Aerobic exercise is the best. If you like your knees, and want to keep them liking you, bicycle, don't run. By bicycle I don't mean a leisurely pedal around the block, but I also don't mean riding like your training for the Tour De France either. Do it at an exertive rate, keep your crank speed high, and worry about a LOT of miles, preferably every other day, more than a sprint pace.
When I was in Florida, I had 10% body fat. I was working "Punch out" 8 hours a day at a construction site in Palm Harbor, Florida. I would pedal a 21 speed mountain bike from Dunedin to the job site and back, five days a week. On weekends, I would take a relaxing ride from Dunedin to the north west end of Tampa on Saturday, and on Sunday, I would go to Tarpon springs and back. Not at "Race Pace", but at about 15 MPH, constantly.
At that time, aside from my bust, you could not pinch any fat. I am 6 foot 1, and I had a 28 inch waist, and weighed 160 pounds, all bone and muscle, but no bulk.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Ma Sarah Noel si Ma ayeylan~
 I WISH I was 170 pounds! But wishing isn't going to help!
I could stand to loose another 20 pounds but lost my incentive when we found that our financial resources would NOT allow us to get to Seattle.  But Seattle would be a short term goal!  I need to see beyond that.  The weather is getting warmer. I tend to eat less and become more active.
I weigh 198 right now. So I need to get hopping!

I have joined SparkPeople.com (it's free) and also has a Tracker to log nutrition and fitness minutes.  Getting away from processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup is key.  One thing to know about exercise is that it increases your metabolic rate and you burn calories even as you rest, even as you sleep.

THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!  I WAS BEGINNING TO GET SLOPPY!
Ta Ateyo

Txura Rolyu

I have read that article before. I wanted to follow it but my brain is too hardwired to love eating food. SO instead I am going to do cardio workouts with some muscle building on the side to look more like I live outdoors.  ;)
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Sarah Noel

Cardio is great for general health, but if you really want it to make an impact on body weight you have to exercise a lot if you plan on no changes at all to your diet. A lot, I'm talking Michael Phelps swimming for hours a day a lot. By all means exercise, it's a great thing to do, but consider doing it with while adding small steps to your eating habits. Stop drinking soda, or switching to diet can make a huge difference for soda drinkers. If you love just eating in general, try chowing down on fruit and veggies. If fatty foods are your weakness, and believe me, I know. Just try and cut down on portions. 1 slice of pizza, then fill up on water. I also chug a lot of water right before a meal too to fill the volume. A trick I sometimes use is I have a picture of Neytiri on my ipod, I look at it while slowly counting up to my weight (so about 150 seconds) before I decide if I want a second helping, by that time I've really thought about if it's worth it or not.

Here's a video for food for thought, diet is important.DIET vs EXERCISE Episode 1: Fat Loss Diet versus Best Cardio Workout to Burn Belly Fat

Niri Te

For those of you that don't know much about Florida, and to bolster what ma Sarah said about exercise AND diet, I was working at a VERY active job 8 hours a day, and putting 25 miles each way on the bike five days a week, and about 85 miles round trip to Tampa on Saturday, and around 60 miles round trip on Sunday on the bike. If you can't devote that kind of exercise to your weight loss goal in the time remaining, you will NEED to watch your diet as well.
At the time, most of what I ate, was fresh fish, (I lived on a Cabin Cruiser at a Marina), and rice with Snow Peas, and Bok Choy almost every day. THAT is how I lost the fat, and kept the muscle without bulking up.
You DON'T need to get out on the road to do it, get a good quality stationary Bike, set it in front of a flat screen, and watch your favorite movies while working out.
Niri Te

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Also consider a low carbohydrate diet. It is about the only thing that works for me. It did not work for me for a couple of years, but I found out why and corrected it (I have to avoid nitrite cured meats).

I just got through the roughest part of spring (a personal trip, followed by the NAB convention), and kept weight gain to just a few pounds by basically eating like a cat. Overall, I am down about 30 pounds since November 1st, and plan on losing another 20 (or possibly more) before Na'viCon. (This was decided on long before this thread appeared.)

Now that we have decent weather, I will be more active outdoors, which should help some. In any case, I should be in a lot better shape for July than I was last year!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Txura Rolyu

Well I just hit the gym and did incline walking @ 10% incline @ 3mph for 20 minutes and got through 143calories according to the machine as well as 181 calories on the bike. Overall I got through 324 calories in just 40 minutes.

I plan on doing this each day and adding in some weightlifting for my arms and upperbody every other day. I skipped out on drinking soda today but I may have a tea later because I have lost my appetite for water after a 5 day fast of just water a while back. I didnt get sick or unhealthy feeling during the fast but I dont plan on doing it again.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

That video was dramatic in that it showed one guy consuming close to 1000 in the same time it took the other guy to burn about 45 calories. It will make me think twice about getting that extra piece of something. 
I like the idea of having an image to refer to when facing temptation.
Filling the tummy with water is good. Fruit juices have LOTS of calories.
Just because something is nutritious doesn't mean I can PIG OUT on it.

So exercise for toning and muscle building
Eat like a Na'vi.  Cut out as much processed food as possible.
(extra sugars and salt added plus chemicals that eventully clog your liver.)

Sarah Noel

324 calories in 40 minutes is just my point, that's only 1 piece of pizza, or about 60% of a Big Mac for all that work. Alternatively you could have 3 medium sized apples, feeling fuller and with a few calories left over.

Niri Te

Fish with Wasabi on it, (The Wasabi "helps" it through your small intestine before even half the calories are pulled from it), almost zero carbs, but the leanest meats that you can afford. You can effectively cut your fat intake even more by using a fat blocker like Alli after every meal. Thats what I do, ask Ateyo. This photograph is of me three months ago at the age of 62, the "plan of attack" on the fat cells WORKS!!

Ikxeru

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 24, 2012, 03:32:25 PM
Also consider a low carbohydrate diet.

This is what worked for me as well, defintively. After banning 95% of monosaccharides from my daily intake and 80% of polysaccharides... well I found out that it worked.
To my mind, it is also very important to avoid any intake of carbohydrates 4 to 5 hours before going to sleep.

By doing so, my metabolism was forced to produce energy the harder way: by burning fats. I was really, really fat indeed, weighing 144kgs (317 lbs). Really, looking into the mirror for longer than 10 seconds produced thoughts of commiting suicide.

But, I wanted to be blue wholehearted so much and reprogrammed myself, never loosing my target out of sight.
And because I had an aim which was worth to fight for: It worked.

And what can I say: since around March last year have lost 49 kgs (=108 lbs), weighing 95 kgs (207 lbs) @ 1,91m (6'2'') height now.

It is important to have an aim in mind: If you really want you can be strong, you can succed
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Niri Te gets her GREENS with her meals by eating a tablesoon of wasabi 
:-X,   I myself, cannot stomach much wasabi.

Ma Eyktan Ikxeru!  (or so I have named you in my serial novel)
SEYKXEL SI NITRAM! From moe, Niri Te sì Oe.  That is an impressive weight loss!

CARBOHYDRATES includes fruits+veggies= FKXEN
but it also includes breads and pastas

Avoid the breads and pastas. Eat whole grains (vollkornbrot!)
But that is a very good suggestion to avoid carbs 4 hours before bedtime.

Niri Te

I have made the SUPREME SACRIFICE for the sake of my waistline ma Eyktan Ikxeru. I now, (for the past year or so) limit myself to only ONE bottle a Spaten Bier a month.
Niri Te

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

As we speak, ìììì,kehe!  As I type Niri Te is setting up our exercise bikes side by side so that we can exercise tonight.  In that manner, our metabolisms will be jazzed up for at least an hour as we sleep.
But as the sun sets, we will drive out to the east forty(acres) and clean up our property.  Lots of stoop labor, bending and twisting.
Ta Niri Te sì Ayeyo
The Desert Dwelling Na'vi
'UPE LU UTRAL?

Sarah Noel

Quote from: Niri Te on April 24, 2012, 05:31:15 PM
You can effectively cut your fat intake even more by using a fat blocker like Alli after every meal.

Fat blocker pills, like alli, certainly work, but I just want to warn anyone who wants to try them exactly how they work.
Alli only lets you digest a small amount of fat from each meal, after that the rest of the fat goes through undigested. All that undigested oiliness makes it so that you, frankly put, diarrhea the fat out. If one is okay with chronic diarrhea in exchange for no fat digestion, great, but Alli's true purpose is to teach you to control with the threat of a very real punishment, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

I wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good tewng or wear nappies
Tse, I'll just eat less fat!
Ta Ateyotsyìp

Niri Te

I don't use Alli to counteract four slices of pizza, I eat a lot of chicken, and fish, NO pork, (Ateyo and I are Kosher), and the beef is lean steak that I trim ALL the fat from with a Rapala fillet knife. I just don't want ANY fat in my blood stream or body, so the Alli gets rid of any that I missed. One of our favorite cuts of Beef is Corned Beef. Ask Ateyo what it is like to watch me pull all the seams of fat out quickly with a fillet Knife. It kind of looks like the "Show" at a Japanese Restaurant.
Niri Te

Seze Mune

Imho, the key is to find something that is sustainable, that works for life.

A few years ago, I decided to fuel my body instead of just eat.  For me, this creates a healthy attitude towards foods and also towards the body.  That made it natural to add cardio and exercise into the mix...and then to add things like hiking, biking, walking, etc. as a more social form of activity.

Works for me.   :D

Niri Te

Posted for your consideration:
 Our dinner menu:
Basmati Rice
Tuna in water, water drained
Rice seasoned with Indian Hot curry, and Sadaf Brand Sabzi KooKoo
Tee had low salt Soy sauce with hers, while I had Wasabi, and Toung Ot Toi Vietnam with mine.
 We will have Cinnamon Coffee, and wait till an hour  before bed for each of us to put half an hour
on our Exercise bikes listening to some Jazz to keep our metabolism up for a while while sleeping.
Just thought we might offer a dinner suggestion to our Soaia.
Niri Te