Meetup in July 2012 (general discussion)

Started by 'Oma Tirea, July 10, 2011, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsmuketsamsiyu

same.. ihave a kick ass hammock system, so i will be in a hammock wilst everyone will be in tents.. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Make like the na'vi all the way people! Ya i'll have someone to hang out with! and buy drinks for!

Lolet

Quote from: Amaya on July 14, 2011, 10:39:08 AM
:P hey, I'm over 30! >.> hit my "grown-up hobbit" year and moving onward and upward in just *gasp* less than 4 months!  Where does the time go!

Seriously though, you're right, the city is fun but I really want to get us out of the city and into our natural habitat next year, at least some of us, somehow!

There are a lot of parks and wetlands around Seattle, so it's not hard to get away from all the people. There's also the zoo. :3 I think they have robot dinosaurs too.

Alan

Wow!  It's been all go here!

Regarding hotels, when I was looking into them I did try getting in touch with the Best Western, but boy was it hard work.  I went through serveral phone desks.  At the same time I chased up the Travelodge and I was directly communicating with the hotel reception staff and they really did bend over backwards for us with group discount and also letting us take over the breakfast room each evening.

However, from what people are saying it is definitely worth looking at the Best Western if they are more geared up for large groups.  It is next door to the Travelodge.  There are also a further two hotels the other side of the Travelodge too.  So quite a few to choose from.

Looking at hostels too is a great idea as it will allow people with different ranges of budges to to all come together.

I say Maria, you are as 'sound as a pound', as we say over my way.  Those points you raised were spot on.  You're talking yourself into a job there you know ;)  I see Zef has already requested you join the planning team.  :D

I suspect the museum will end up being our main focal point and so having the accommodation and transport to downtown so easy to hand could not be better.  Especially for those who wish to dress up for the part.  It also helps us follow Avatar's lead and be a bit greener by being able to use the excellent public tranport Seattle has (well I thought it was, coming from the UK)

When we were there I must admit we only ended up using the monorail and the tram.  We walked everywhere else as it was all within easy reach.  We did use the monorail a few times just to get into the town and back quickly.

Like Zef says a mile really isn't far.  Just think of it as a 15 minute walk.  Besides when you are with others you realy don't notice it.  Not even the hills!  You could always bring your direhorse with you and a ladder to get on it.  Hehehe...Ok I'lll go now  ;D

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Although some outdoorsy activities could be included, an 'outdoor meetup', like a camping get-together might be better considered as a separate event. And one that would be a whole lot of fun.

For comparison purposes, my hotel room (before sharing) came to about $420, and I spent about $200 in gas for about 1,700 miles of driving. It is easy to get good discounts on airfare if you know how to shop for them.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsmuketsamsiyu

I think that Zef is trying to get me on the planning committee as well. i would be honoured to join. The hotel was pretty nice, i must say that i was pretty impressed with how close it was actually from all the other stuff.
Now when does the Avatar Experiance actually move regions or does anyone know that yet?
thanks
candace

Zefanaya

Quote from: Tsmuketsamsiyu on July 14, 2011, 04:31:53 PM
I think that Zef is trying to get me on the planning committee as well. i would be honoured to join. The hotel was pretty nice, i must say that i was pretty impressed with how close it was actually from all the other stuff.
Now when does the Avatar Experiance actually move regions or does anyone know that yet?
thanks
candace

Not sure, but we do know that it's going on tour.
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Tsmuketsamsiyu

Avatar Experiance Groupies!! I feel like a rocker now!

Zefanaya

Ha.

edit: Approaching 1000th post.

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Tsmuketsamsiyu on July 14, 2011, 11:22:49 AM
same.. ihave a kick ass hammock system, so i will be in a hammock wilst everyone will be in tents.. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Make like the na'vi all the way people! Ya i'll have someone to hang out with! and buy drinks for!

awesome, a fellow "hammocker"  :)   When I backpack I use a hammock setup:

anyway about the "outdoor activities" we should have an idea of what is going on date-wise soon...

for now the suggested idea is to have the meetup be Thur-Mon. and have the camping/backpacking/Hiking be Tue/Wed

Maria TunVrrtep

HRH My idea of roughing it is a hotel with no room service.  Unless I'm at an SCA event that I have to camp at.  But then my SCA camp can not be toted around in a backpack.  I need to rent a trailer to go to one event for a week in March every year.  My tent is 12 X 14 just for me and it's got closets.  And I have a real bed that I put together and then put an air mattress in.  And then I have the portable kitchen I take with me, including the sink, 2 propane stoves, battery powered blender, propane skillet, 4 prep tables, every kitchen utensil you could ever need and enough bowls to mix a different Jello cream pie every night without washing them.  I don't pack light.
So unless we're talking about a camping trip like that ... I'm staying at the hotel where there's room service.
* Maria TunVrrtep
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

CyanRachel

Quote from: Alan on July 11, 2011, 02:59:33 PM
Wow!  Talk about light the blue touch paper and retire!  It's all going off like a rocket this 2012 meet up.  ;D

For me, I think we should not limit it to just the two clans, but any Avatar clan.  Besides you will probably find that most of us are on more than one clan anyway.  Aketuan and I have dropped messages on Avatar Forums, but there are others.

Anyway, without trying to sound too much like a spoil-sport, before we race off and start doing stuff in the midst of our wonderful excitement, I'm thinking we need to hold onto our direhorses and determine a few things first...errr...like:

• Who wants to be involved in helping with the next meet up (I know there are a few who have already offered on ToS)
  • What tasks/jobs are there to do
  • Who wants to contribute to what
  • How are we all going to communicate noting we are from/on differnet forums and time zones etc
  • Survey the attendees with some suitable/useful questions to get the feed back we need to help us tune the next one to meet everyone's expectations
  • Find out what went well at the two meet ups that we can build on
  • Find out what could have gone better from at the two events
  • Work out what would be the best date, considering there might be some Aussie eylan for whom it would be a their short winter break for them, not forgetting the Europeans like me!

For this all to be a success we are going to have 'take it to a whole new level' ( ;)) as there are going to be so many more of us.  Not just those of us who came this time around (which would come to 50-ish) but also those on the forums who have seen the pictures and read about our adventure and would like to join us.

I have no doubts this is all within our capability, but we need to plan what needs doing and then work the plan...to coin a phrase from work!  Sorry I've got my design engineer's hat on at them moment.  ;D Hehehe.

For instance, when I contacted the Travelodge to see if they could accommodate our meet ups they bent over backwards for us (compared to the hotel next door I tried!) and not only gave us a group discount, but lent us their breakfast room in the evenings, which we turned into a mini cinema.  It suited us fine for the 20-odd of us, but if our numbers grow it might be a squeeze.  So should we consider somewhere else?  Is a meeting space needed? Do we split into smaller groups to meet in the evenings?  (Noooo!)  Do we find evening meeting venus?  Would the Science Fiction Museum accommodate us?  What activities would we do during the evening anyway?  And so on, and so on...

Hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes.  Apologise if I am, but I just want Seattle Avatar Meet Up 2012 to be the best fan meet up everrrrrr,..and for me it all starts with getting the foundations right.  I think I'll ponder some thoughts at work tomorrow...errr...during lunch time, of course ;D  Hahahaha.

Irayo ma eylan,

Alan

Yeah, I'm with you on all the above, Alan.  :)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Tsmuketsamsiyu

same here alan, im there

Alan

Quote from: Tsmuketsamsiyu on July 14, 2011, 04:31:53 PM
thanks
candace

Kaltxi Candace :)

Yeah there are quite a number of hotels lined up there which CyanRachel found for us and we tried a couple out and landed with the Travelodge.  Irayo CyanRachel :D  I found them really friendly and helpful...which I guess you would expect from a hotel!

As for the exhibition.  Brooks came out to see us after one of the panel discussions and I asked him how long the exhibition would be on for.  He said it would be there for 16 months before going on tour.  I also asked if it would be going on 'world tour' as there are many fans around the world.  He agreed it would be a good idea as a vast proportion of the money made from the film came from overseas.  He added he was going to have a meeting with Fox about it.  I don't know what the outcome was, but at least we know the exhibition will be there in a year's time.

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Hmmm.... In my experience, 16 months is a long time for any exhibition to remain in one place. Next year though, we might have smaller crowds to contend with (or we will take over the place!)

I had some more ideas this evening. None of these need to be elaborate. Here they are:

Fun games - Silly outdoors activities, such as 'race with ikran on your shoulder (perhaps hopping rather than running)', or 'pin the kxetse on the palulukan'. I am sure many other games can be thought of.

More challenging games - Such as 'climb to Iknamaya'-- walk from Mercer street up 1st Ave W past Keyl's place and up the steps to the hilltop. First one there gets a plush ikran, all get a certificate of achievement.

Language-oriented games - How about a pronunciation contest? The night before, everyone gets a statement to read (the same statement) that is challenging in Na`vi. A panel of the btter speakers and perhaps K. Pawl are the judges. Other fun events might be reading aloud, poetry or singing.

Food - Know a good recipe for teylu? Tsosyu? Yerik? Show us your Na`vi cooking skills!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Zefanaya

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 15, 2011, 02:26:35 AM
Hmmm.... In my experience, 16 months is a long time for any exhibition to remain in one place. Next year though, we might have smaller crowds to contend with (or we will take over the place!)

I had some more ideas this evening. None of these need to be elaborate. Here they are:

Fun games - Silly outdoors activities, such as 'race with ikran on your shoulder (perhaps hopping rather than running)', or 'pin the kxetse on the palulukan'. I am sure many other games can be thought of.

More challenging games - Such as 'climb to Iknamaya'-- walk from Mercer street up 1st Ave W past Keyl's place and up the steps to the hilltop. First one there gets a plush ikran, all get a certificate of achievement.

Language-oriented games - How about a pronunciation contest? The night before, everyone gets a statement to read (the same statement) that is challenging in Na`vi. A panel of the btter speakers and perhaps K. Pawl are the judges. Other fun events might be reading aloud, poetry or singing.

Food - Know a good recipe for teylu? Tsosyu? Yerik? Show us your Na`vi cooking skills!

Insert LIKE button here.

These are great, I love the climb to Iknamaya

guest2859

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 15, 2011, 02:26:35 AM...First one there gets a plush ikran, all get a certif...

Hm... Plush you say?  :P

But I could do the cooking one, up to this point, I'm antisocial in person, so I might need to adjust to do "games".

'Oma Tirea

*sunu* :D

If you're ever thinking of a pronounciation game, I'm in for judging anytime ;)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on July 15, 2011, 02:39:49 AM

*sunu* :D

If you're ever thinking of a pronounciation game, I'm in for judging anytime ;)

As am I. If K. Pawl is with us again, I'm sure he'd want to judge. I love these ideas! We'd have to talk to OmatikayaClan about the ikran plushie tho.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

DJ Makto

I know a few tasty Teylu (shrimp) recipes for the grill. ;)

Zefanaya

Quote from: DJ Makto on July 15, 2011, 02:46:32 AM

I know a few tasty Teylu (shrimp) recipes for the grill. ;)

And now I'm hungry.