Meetup in July 2012 (general discussion)

Started by 'Oma Tirea, July 10, 2011, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 13, 2011, 03:18:47 AM
A week may seem great, but I think you would find the fun and uniqueness of the event wearing off after about four days. Seattle is also an expensive place to do things. The suggestion offered of Thursday to Monday seems something to consider. In any case, activities should be structured so the important events happen over the course of 1-2 days. The week idea works if the early and/or late days are optional days, with perhaps more 'day trip' activities, like a hike, boat tour, etc. during those days. A less expensive hotel should also be found, within reasonable mass transit distance to downtown.

Personally, I would prefer June or July or August. None of these have any blackout dates yet, but the Feline Conservation Federation convention will likely fall somewhere in that time, and I cannot easily work around that event.

Yeah, it seems the best pattern is for folk to arrive on a Thursday, have an exploring day on Friday, The weekend is the main event, Monday another exploring day and then Tuesday the journey home, with people coming and goin inbetween.  Well that's how it was for the June meet up and it seemed to work well.  We did have five potential itineraries planned for people to use if they wish, but we found ourselves at the museum mostly or exploring parts of downtown be the waterfront.  It was great just to mill about following our noses really.

As for the hotel, yeah we should see if we can find a cheaper place.  When I researched the hotel after CyanRachel had found some really close to the museum, the Travel lodge was the best deal at the time.  There are about four hotels altogether there and boy were they convenient for the museum!  Like 2 mins 30 secs, sad I know but I timed it!

Transport wise I think Seattle is brilliant!!!  We got the tram from the airport for $2.50 and the monorail for $2.  That's like 16 miles for $4.50.  Over here in the UK you would be looking at least $12!!!  There is also more buses than you can shake a stick at with 3rd Avenue being the main route.  Fare are $2.25 or $2.50 a pop which is very reasonablecompared to what I am used to!

Date wise, well July may well be best for a school holiday point of view, but we perhaps need to be mind full that prices will also go up them as it is holiday time, especially after 4th July.

Ooops, sorry went on the bit there.  Hope it was useful, though.

Alan

'Oma Tirea

Irayo nìtxan ma Alan, lesar lu.  I hope Thursday-Tuesday will work out if folks want to do a week-long event :) And good luck finding a cheap hotel for the meolo'.

Quote from: Alan on July 13, 2011, 12:55:27 PM
Transport wise I think Seattle is brilliant!!!  We got the tram from the airport for $2.50 and the monorail for $2.  That's like 16 miles for $4.50.

Or you can skip the monorail, walk just a few blocks, and spare yourself a couple of bucks :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on July 13, 2011, 02:11:56 AM

Any chance you could get with your connection you have and see about group discount at that hotel? Free would be nice, but I'm sure that's not possible. I'd like to get the best value possible for the group. The Travelodge was a bit pricy even with the discount I arranged. It would be nice if we could all be on the same floor too.

-Txonä Rolyu

I can check, but don't forget it's across the lake in Bellevue.  It's a 20 minute drive in no traffic.  
I did check for this last one, but I don't remember what price I got.  I couldn't get free rooms for everyone.  Mine will be free but everyone else would have discounted prices.  Honestly, after I thought I wasn't going to make it, I didn't even worry about it.  Then I got my Student loan overage check in and had the money to go.  So I called my cousin and had him get the room for me.  
I'll need an approximate number of rooms needed around 2 months before the meetup.  Then I can get the prices.  My cousin can't get the prices for me before 2 months prior to the travel dates.
So give me some numbers and I'll get with him.
* Maria TunVrrtep
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

DJ Makto

If we are looking for cheap accommodations it might be worth considering the plethora of hotels around the airport. ExLibrisMortis and I stayed in a hotel a half block away from the Seattle Link Rail station for a much cheaper $70 a night. the train and connecting monorail takes about 45 minutes or less to get to the museum.

Food for thought...

Toruk Makto

I'm in, 100%. I would prefer summer, but am flexible.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Zefanaya

I think you are all still thinking a bit small. Txonä Rolyu: At the current rate of sign up (even if it slows), we will need floors for the group. Also plans are in the work to integrate some convention like aspects (boots, foods things like that, though we are really still just debating if we want to do something like that). I think that the best bet, if we have a group closer to 100/150 is going to be the best western, which is about 4 or 5 blocks form the Travelodge. They handel large groups more often the the Tlodge, and I think it would be a far nicer place. More bang for your buck if you will. Also, Seattle even with all its hill, is far more fun if you walk. Sure you might get tired, but their are a TON of places to just sit and relax, or even just look at the water for a few (I've caught my self sitting and staring across the bay or Lake Union for hours on end, it where a lot of my ideas have come from, and I also get very creative when I'm in Seattle...sorry, I just really like Seattle).

But I agree, we need to look at all the hotels in about 1.5-2 mile distance of the EMP|SFM. This is what I consider walking distance, and I know most don't mind .5-1.0 mile, it sounds far, but really its not, and Seattle parking is HELL, just for the record.
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: DJ Makto on July 13, 2011, 02:28:50 PM
If we are looking for cheap accommodations it might be worth considering the plethora of hotels around the airport. ExLibrisMortis and I stayed in a hotel a half block away from the Seattle Link Rail station for a much cheaper $70 a night. the train and connecting monorail takes about 45 minutes or less to get to the museum.

Food for thought...

Zefenaya, I generally like your ideas, and 100+ in attendance is not unrealistic. Being 4 or 5 blocks out from the museum is not bad (especially if not steeply uphill!), but 45 minutes away by train may be a bit much.

DJ Makto, How many times did you have to make that trip?

Although I had my car there, it would not have been used much if I hadn't had someone with me who couldn't walk very well. Still, I was able to give rides for a few people, and sometimes, that was a real lifesaver. Next year, I will very likely fly, as I had a reason to drive this time (the TV station tour, which was also completely successful), but will have much less of a reason (especially with the length of the event increasing) next year.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Zefanaya

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 13, 2011, 02:53:58 PM
Quote from: DJ Makto on July 13, 2011, 02:28:50 PM

Food for thought...

Zefenaya, I generally like your ideas, and 100+ in attendance is not unrealistic. Being 4 or 5 blocks out from the museum is not bad (especially if not steeply uphill!), but 45 minutes away by train may be a bit much.

DJ Makto, How many times did you have to make that trip?

Although I had my car there, it would not have been used much if I hadn't had someone with me who couldn't walk very well. Still, I was able to give rides for a few people, and sometimes, that was a real lifesaver. Next year, I will very likely fly, as I had a reason to drive this time (the TV station tour, which was also completely successful), but will have much less of a reason (especially with the length of the event increasing) next year.

I vote to scratch anything off the list of hotels that is not with in 2 miles of the EMP. Of course, anyone can stay where they want, but we are talking official hotel here.

Ekirä

Quote from: Zefanaya on July 13, 2011, 02:59:35 PM
I vote to scratch anything off the list of hotels that is not with in 2 miles of the EMP. Of course, anyone can stay where they want, but we are talking official hotel here.

Personally, I would much prefer a hotel that is relatively close to the Seattle Center area, although I know that's more expensive. But from just being in Seattle it felt like Seattle is by no means the safest city, and the further away you got from the Space Needle the less safe it felt. And I imagine if you have a car it wouldn't be a big deal, but I know at least I certainly won't be bringing a car...and surely there are many other people that won't either.

Just seems like when you're mostly going to be walking, a safer area of town is better. :D

Zefanaya

Quote from: Ekirä on July 13, 2011, 03:07:39 PM

Personally, I would much prefer a hotel that is relatively close to the Seattle Center area, although I know that's more expensive. But from just being in Seattle it felt like Seattle is by no means the safest city, and the further away you got from the Space Needle the less safe it felt. And I imagine if you have a car it wouldn't be a big deal, but I know at least I certainly won't be bringing a car...and surely there are many other people that won't either.

Just seems like when you're mostly going to be walking, a safer area of town is better. :D

Most of travel in groups, and maybe its just because I live hear, but the only time Seattle is actually dangerous is at night. But I don't want to walk extremely far either, prefer to save my energy for the exploring and fun.

Ekirä

Quote from: Zefanaya on July 13, 2011, 03:14:24 PM

Most of travel in groups, and maybe its just because I live hear, but the only time Seattle is actually dangerous is at night. But I don't want to walk extremely far either, prefer to save my energy for the exploring and fun.

It's true, I really don't know Seattle very well, I'm just going on how it felt to me. But it's not out of the question we might have to walk back to the hotel in the evening; and it seems to me that it would be best to just make sure to find a hotel in a safe area than take any risks. But whatever works. :)

And, of course, saving our energy for other things besides walking to and from the hotel is important too.

Lolet

Quote from: Zefanaya on July 13, 2011, 03:14:24 PM

Not to mention it can be easy to get lost in a strange city. And, Seattle may be safe, but you still don't want to have to pass bums while walking down the street.

btw I'd love to attend the next meetup. I'll probably be able to go, unless I get hit by a car or kidnapped.  ;)

AketuanNavi

Markì and Lolet te Maticay: you are both on the list.  :) 

Quote from: Zefanaya on July 13, 2011, 02:47:15 PM
I think you are all still thinking a bit small. Txonä Rolyu: At the current rate of sign up (even if it slows), we will need floors for the group. Also plans are in the work to integrate some convention like aspects (boots, foods things like that, though we are really still just debating if we want to do something like that). I think that the best bet, if we have a group closer to 100/150 is going to be the best western, which is about 4 or 5 blocks form the Travelodge. They handel large groups more often the the Tlodge, and I think it would be a far nicer place. More bang for your buck if you will. Also, Seattle even with all its hill, is far more fun if you walk. Sure you might get tired, but their are a TON of places to just sit and relax, or even just look at the water for a few (I've caught my self sitting and staring across the bay or Lake Union for hours on end, it where a lot of my ideas have come from, and I also get very creative when I'm in Seattle...sorry, I just really like Seattle).

But I agree, we need to look at all the hotels in about 1.5-2 mile distance of the EMP|SFM. This is what I consider walking distance, and I know most don't mind .5-1.0 mile, it sounds far, but really its not, and Seattle parking is HELL, just for the record.

I agree that we should consider all options for a while until it gets closer. The Best Western would be my first choice at this point from the standpoint of accommodating large numbers, close to museum/walking distance of everything/price.

I do want to mention that there are a number of people on ToS discussing trying to find a "hostel" which goes for about $30 a night. I would almost suggest we find one hotel and one hostel...but we can see where things go.

and although 100+ would be txantsan  :)  ,  I think that the list will start to slow down here and end up at 50-60...we'll see.

(also I'll try to keep you all updated on ToS discussions...harder than I thought...and actually this is probably Alan's job...)

Maria TunVrrtep

For me spring is totally out.  Tax season takes my time too much up til mid April.  After that, I'm less busy.  But summer is best because I get my student loan overage check in June.  

As far as the hotel stuff is concerned ... my take is this ...
1.  If you have 100 or more people, it may be better to make a deal with a hotel like the Best Western.  It's closer to the Museum than my hotel is, is probably about the same quality as mine, and probably also has conference rooms and that kind of thing, where we could have a banquet if we wanted.  The larger hotels will have much better amenities than the smaller/less expensive ones.  
2.  You may also want to look into multiple hotels, to give people different price points to look at.  It could be a good idea, and will give a better chance of people being able to afford the trip.  You could get prices for rooms at the Travelodge, Best Western and maybe another hotel in the area.  You make one of those hotels your main hotel, where all the stuff you plan outside of the museum will happen/start from.  However, the other hotels give people a wider choice of price/quality that they can choose from.  
3.  My advice would be to think of the whole thing as if it was a convention.  (The ideas of different price point hotels came from a convention I went to when I was a real estate agent.)  This would help also in planning outings for things other than the museum, like the Aquarium, a hiking trip on Mt. Olympic, trips to Mt. St. Helen's, etc.  There is a lot to do in the area.  It could be nice to see if we can get a few other outings planned, especially if people are going to be there for more than the weekend.  
4.  Have one person as the contact for all the hotels.  That person would be the Hotel Coordinator.  That person can then decide if they think they need people to be the contact for a specific hotel.  Do the same thing with other planned activities.  I.E. - if you want to try to plan a banquet of some sort, one person would be the contact for that banquet.  That person would have all the details of the banquet, etc.  That person would also be the person who the banquet facilities would contact if there was a problem.  Other activities like an Aquarium trip, hiking trip, etc, each would have it's own coordinator.  It's easier for each activity to have a coordinator because each activity has a contact person, not only for us, but also for the place of the activity.  

That's about all I can think of at the moment.  
If I have any other thoughts on the subject, I'll edit this message.
* Maria TunVrrtep

EDIT - Management courses and a cousin in the Hotel and Restaurant Management business are also very helpful.  HRH
    Margaret Drabble

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Maria TunVrrtep on July 13, 2011, 03:33:43 PM
For me spring is totally out.  Tax season takes my time too much up til mid April.  After that, I'm less busy.  But summer is best because I get my student loan overage check in June. 

As far as the hotel stuff is concerned ... my take is this ...
1.  If you have 100 or more people, it may be better to make a deal with a hotel like the Best Western.  It's closer to the Museum than my hotel is, is probably about the same quality as mine, and probably also has conference rooms and that kind of thing, where we could have a banquet if we wanted.  The larger hotels will have much better amenities than the smaller/less expensive ones. 
2.  You may also want to look into multiple hotels, to give people different price points to look at.  It could be a good idea, and will give a better chance of people being able to afford the trip.  You could get prices for rooms at the Travelodge, Best Western and maybe another hotel in the area.  You make one of those hotels your main hotel, where all the stuff you plan outside of the museum will happen/start from.  However, the other hotels give people a wider choice of price/quality that they can choose from. 
3.  My advice would be to think of the whole thing as if it was a convention.  (The ideas of different price point hotels came from a convention I went to when I was a real estate agent.)  This would help also in planning outings for things other than the museum, like the Aquarium, a hiking trip on Mt. Olympic, trips to Mt. St. Helen's, etc.  There is a lot to do in the area.  It could be nice to see if we can get a few other outings planned, especially if people are going to be there for more than the weekend. 
4.  Have one person as the contact for all the hotels.  That person would be the Hotel Coordinator.  That person can then decide if they think they need people to be the contact for a specific hotel.  Do the same thing with other planned activities.  I.E. - if you want to try to plan a banquet of some sort, one person would be the contact for that banquet.  That person would have all the details of the banquet, etc.  That person would also be the person who the banquet facilities would contact if there was a problem.  Other activities like an Aquarium trip, hiking trip, etc, each would have it's own coordinator.  It's easier for each activity to have a coordinator because each activity has a contact person, not only for us, but also for the place of the activity. 

That's about all I can think of at the moment. 
If I have any other thoughts on the subject, I'll edit this message.
* Maria TunVrrtep

I agree with you that we need coordinators for all of the activities. Right now we are still in the process of figuring things out in the planning group. Once we get things figured out, we can start to let people volunteer for coordinating activities...

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: AketuanNavi on July 13, 2011, 03:37:24 PM
I agree with you that we need coordinators for all of the activities. Right now we are still in the process of figuring things out in the planning group. Once we get things figured out, we can start to let people volunteer for coordinating activities...

Oh definitely.  But I also think it's important to keep it in mind up front, because if we have this large amount of people coming, we could end up with much larger issues than bad directions or one person being way across the lake (that person will be me.  I will still be in my free hotel.)

Once everything is decided as far as date is concerned (and that is something you want to talk to the museum about), coordinators can volunteer for their different activities.  One person needs to contact the museum about dates.  We could possibly get some information from the museum as to what is going on at the museum on our weekend.  It could also change our weekend if we find out that some other group is already planning a large outing to the museum.  That's the reason the museum should be the first contact.  So they know to expect a large group on the weekend that we choose. 

Just another thought that popped into my head as I was agreeing with you AketuanNavi. 
* Maria TunVrrtep
    Margaret Drabble

AketuanNavi

Yeah that sounds about right. The museum should be first...

anyway I have some good news...4 forums represented now and 34 people 35 people at 50% or higher: (another person from NB just signed up. Holy Cow this list just doesn't stop growing. :)  )

Zefanaya

Maria, I want to have you be a member of the private planning boards (which will house the committee when it is officially formed 9end of this week)), a lot of what you've talked about is what is being talked about privately (as it should stay for now), and you are very smart. If you are interested let me know and I will have you added to the list and granted access. Thanks. Also, I agree with the official hotel and then suggested hotels. Also, July I believe is the best month to hold this event. Seems to work well for most people. August gets a little more complicated for some.

35  :P that is wonderful. I know things will slow down for a bit, but when we start hard core advertising (social for now) this event. I have no doubt we will see a huge amount of registrations. This is why we must get this groundwork for the teams set up so we can handel all the information coming in. We will have some information to release to the public soon.

AketuanNavi

Yeah I agree once we get some hard-core advertising going it will bring in some people...  :)

Jane MacMillan

A quick thought from a Seattle fandom perspective: most Seattle-area conventions are held in airport hotels, within walking distance from SeaTac airport. They are very used to dealing with groups of fans and have a lot of meeting space available, as well as (slightly cheaper) hotel rooms.
The downside to that is getting to the museum then requires a lightrail trip. Since we're focused around the EMP exhibit, hotels near there are probably better. If this turns into a real convention, though, panel and party space is important as well.