Meetup in July 2012 (general discussion)

Started by 'Oma Tirea, July 10, 2011, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaya

Except for Sakuracon, which is held downtown at the convention center.  That venue is far bigger than we need (yet 8) :P ) but the hotels around it are no doubt very familiar with dealing with large groups.  Just something to think about.

Zefanaya

Quote from: Amaya on July 13, 2011, 07:40:57 PM
Except for Sakuracon, which is held downtown at the convention center.  That venue is far bigger than we need (yet 8) :P ) but the hotels around it are no doubt very familiar with dealing with large groups.  Just something to think about.

The Best Western has conference/convention rooms that are more what we are looking for. I've been to them before. But we are looking at all the hotels we can.
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Jane MacMillan

Quote from: Amaya on July 13, 2011, 07:40:57 PM

If we hit over 18,000 Avatar fans next year, I will eat my tswìn. ;)

DJ Makto

If we get that many people, lets hope for a guest panel featuring James Cameron, Dr Frommer and the rest of the Avatar cast.  :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: DJ Makto on July 13, 2011, 08:50:03 PM
If we get that many people, lets hope for a guest panel featuring James Cameron, Dr Frommer and the rest of the Avatar cast.  :)

I would have to cut myself if I don't make it to that(not really)

I will try my hardest to be able to make it to 2012's event.I'm already still kinda mad that I wasn't able to go to this year's.

guest2859

Hm... Seattle... I'm turning 18 around the projected time of the meetup, and with my job the way it is I could see about making a flash trip up there. At this point I can't say much because the farthest I've been is St. Louis.

Mmmhmm... http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Dumas,+TX&daddr=Seattle,+WA&hl=en&ll=39.198205,-101.733398&spn=26.142722,39.506836&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.035373,79.013672&geocode=FftDIwIdDQPs-SmD3nV7loQGhzGrBCza_Henfg%3BFcJp1gIdWVy1-ClVM-iTLBCQVDGa1URpRmUlEA&mra=ls&t=h&z=5

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Naruga Kuruga on July 14, 2011, 01:48:09 AM
Hm... Seattle... I'm turning 18 around the projected time of the meetup, and with my job the way it is I could see about making a flash trip up there. At this point I can't say much because the farthest I've been is St. Louis.

Mmmhmm... http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Dumas,+TX&daddr=Seattle,+WA&hl=en&ll=39.198205,-101.733398&spn=26.142722,39.506836&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.035373,79.013672&geocode=FftDIwIdDQPs-SmD3nV7loQGhzGrBCza_Henfg%3BFcJp1gIdWVy1-ClVM-iTLBCQVDGa1URpRmUlEA&mra=ls&t=h&z=5

your route to Seattle takes you through my city. There is a chance I'll be carpooling instead of flying this year so that might be a possibility...anyway I hope you can make it. I'll put you on the list as "Interested" but if you want to put in a percentage just tell me.  :)

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Zefanaya on July 13, 2011, 02:59:35 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 13, 2011, 02:53:58 PM
Quote from: DJ Makto on July 13, 2011, 02:28:50 PM
If we are looking for cheap accommodations it might be worth considering the plethora of hotels around the airport. ExLibrisMortis and I stayed in a hotel a half block away from the Seattle Link Rail station for a much cheaper $70 a night. the train and connecting monorail takes about 45 minutes or less to get to the museum.

Food for thought...

Zefenaya, I generally like your ideas, and 100+ in attendance is not unrealistic. Being 4 or 5 blocks out from the museum is not bad (especially if not steeply uphill!), but 45 minutes away by train may be a bit much.

DJ Makto, How many times did you have to make that trip?

Although I had my car there, it would not have been used much if I hadn't had someone with me who couldn't walk very well. Still, I was able to give rides for a few people, and sometimes, that was a real lifesaver. Next year, I will very likely fly, as I had a reason to drive this time (the TV station tour, which was also completely successful), but will have much less of a reason (especially with the length of the event increasing) next year.

I vote to scratch anything off the list of hotels that is not with in 2 miles of the EMP. Of course, anyone can stay where they want, but we are talking official hotel here.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't want it to be a really long hike every time we go to/from the museum and hotel. I'm not a fan of walking long distances even with the experienced bus rider that I am (walking to/from bus stops and such). I also had my car at the last meet up but I didn't use it at all. Not a fan of driving either :P I don't mind walking a few blocks to the museum, but I do mind 2 miles. I'm a bus rider through and through. Now about the Link Light Rail and busses in Seattle, the Link Light Rail is Sound Transit and busses in Seattle are King County Metro, so they are separate fares. However there a nifty little thing called an Orca Card. This card can be used anywhere and it works kinda like a reloadable credit card. Might be worth investing in if we're going to be riding busses and trains in Seattle.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I like the way the thinking is going here.

The idea of holding the meeting near the airport would be a good idea except (as has been pointed out), the main venue is downtown. In a place like Seattle, nearly all modern hotels are going to have some sort of accommodations for meetings-- meetings is what makes these places thrive. (That said, the Travelodge seemed to be a real family-oriented place (but did anyone notice the Picasso piece in the second floor hallway near the pool?   ::) ) this IMHO makes it a good place to stay.) There is also apparently excellent public transportation between the airport and downtown.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

DJ Makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 14, 2011, 02:16:03 AM

The idea of holding the meeting near the airport would be a good idea except (as has been pointed out), the main venue is downtown. In a place like Seattle, nearly all modern hotels are going to have some sort of accommodations for meetings-- meetings is what makes these places thrive. (That said, the Travelodge seemed to be a real family-oriented place (but did anyone notice the Picasso piece in the second floor hallway near the pool?   ::) ) this IMHO makes it a good place to stay.) There is also apparently excellent public transportation between the airport and downtown.

Yep I can attest that the link rail and monorail were great to ride. Though, I only rode it once in the last meetup.

The only issue is that the trains run for limited hours e.g. 6am - 1am for the link and 7am?-11pm for the monorail.

Either way, I realized its better if we all stick together--more fun that way.

guest2859

Quote from: AketuanNavi on July 14, 2011, 02:05:37 AM
Quote from: Naruga Kuruga on July 14, 2011, 01:48:09 AM

your route to Seattle takes you through my city. There is a chance I'll be carpooling instead of flying this year so that might be a possibility...anyway I hope you can make it. I'll put you on the list as "Interested" but if you want to put in a percentage just tell me.  :)

I could easily say 5%, but even then that might be overshooting it, but I have high hopes.

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Naruga Kuruga on July 14, 2011, 02:30:46 AM
I could easily say 5%, but even then that might be overshooting it, but I have high hopes.

I hope you can make it, and I'll let you know about the carpool if it happens.  :)

Quote from: DJ Makto on July 14, 2011, 02:22:47 AM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 14, 2011, 02:16:03 AM

The idea of holding the meeting near the airport would be a good idea except (as has been pointed out), the main venue is downtown. In a place like Seattle, nearly all modern hotels are going to have some sort of accommodations for meetings-- meetings is what makes these places thrive. (That said, the Travelodge seemed to be a real family-oriented place (but did anyone notice the Picasso piece in the second floor hallway near the pool?   ::) ) this IMHO makes it a good place to stay.) There is also apparently excellent public transportation between the airport and downtown.

Yep I can attest that the link rail and monorail were great to ride. Though, I only rode it once in the last meetup.

The only issue is that the trains run for limited hours e.g. 6am - 1am for the link and 7am?-11pm for the monorail.

Either way, I realized its better if we all stick together--more fun that way.

Yeah definitely agree on that. The transport to hotel/airport/downtown is great. (I also just have the experience from the June meetup)

And like mentioned, it is more fun to move as a group. :)

NOTE: And I don't want to clutter up this thread with massive pics of the list of people going, so I'll create a new thread for people to "sign-up" on. That way this thread can be used for general discussion.

Zefanaya

My mother is a senior driver for Pierce County Transit. She is very knowledgeable about Orca and if any more information is needed, I can ask her and post it here. The rail system is good for traveling between city's but its stops are rather far apart so you would still be walking a lot. If people are planning on going far distances then an Orca Card is a very good investment. Otherwise walking (bike riding could be fun too) is still the best way to get around Seattle, at least in the 7 mile radius of the EMP|SFM. And really, when walking as a group, it becomes really some good fun. Lots of conversations, lots of things to see. But if you want to get to a specific destination, in a timely manner, and don't care about sight seeing at the time, then busses are a good choice.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

But busses are also a good way to do sighseeing. I do it all the time around Portland, OR and I'm a local lol.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Zefanaya

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on July 14, 2011, 03:32:08 AM
But busses are also a good way to do sighseeing. I do it all the time around Portland, OR and I'm a local lol.

-Txonä Rolyu

I suppose, ever since I did a missions trip in Easter WA, I've really enjoyed walking a lot. Their is just something calming about it, you really do see things you normally overlook, I've stopped at shops that I had no idea existed because I found them walking. Any how, walking is great for going to things like dinner (1 mile or less and yes 1 mile is short, it only takes about 20 minutes at a slow walking pace) or Pike Place. if you want to do other things, like go to forests or towns around Seattle, busses are the way to go, as long as one go's where you need/want to go.

guest2859

Okay, random series involving prices.

AketuanNavi

I live in CO and for the flight there and back, hotel for 5 nights and membership to museum and everything I spent under $1000 usd

guest2859

Quote from: AketuanNavi on July 14, 2011, 04:03:30 AM
I live in CO and for the flight there and back, hotel for 5 nights and membership to museum and everything I spent under $1000 usd

Then I should be set regarding price... Good thing I still don't have to pay my own bills.

Tsmuketsamsiyu

I can't wait for the next meet up and im so happy that i was able to meet my clan, and txona and Z were there! It made me feel like family.
I would like a week to be able to camp and get all the wiggles out with all my family and have fun. Seattle isn't the only place to go, we can do the camping trips, the zip lines, bungeee jumps etc. i would love that.
I wish i wasn't 30!! i feel so old! well i have a year to work on my na'vi! should be advanced by then

Amaya

:P hey, I'm over 30! >.> hit my "grown-up hobbit" year and moving onward and upward in just *gasp* less than 4 months!  Where does the time go!

Seriously though, you're right, the city is fun but I really want to get us out of the city and into our natural habitat next year, at least some of us, somehow!