Meetup in July 2012 (general discussion)

Started by 'Oma Tirea, July 10, 2011, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

It sounds like there's going to be another meetup in 2012.  I heard from Txonä Rolyu that he (and probably the rest of the June 4th group as well) would prefer to have it in the spring.  I'd personally prefer the summer again.  Discuss some more here.

EDIT: It appears it's going to be sometime in July.  Any board mod here may feel free to fill in the details if they are confirmed.

EDIT 2: July 19th-23rd, and a pre-meetup camping trip.  See http://www.avatarmeet.com/ for details.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

AketuanNavi

Actually it will most likely be July, because a lot of people have classes until late.

Here are the details so far:

(nothing is for sure, and some things WILL change)
Date: sometime in July 2012
How Long: friday-monday???
What's going on: Avatar Exhibit at the SFM, Group Viewings of the Movie, Clan meals, day hike, explore Seattle...
Extras: Backpacking Trip (possibly camping trip instead) would be Tuesday-Wednesday??

Anyway, that is just an idea of what could happen, things are too far away to start planning too much. However we have started a list going of people that are interested in going. This will help us to determine the amount of people and planning and such...

I hope to see you all there!  :)
-Aketuan

Mod Note: Stickied.

'Oma Tirea

It looks like we need more sute ta Learn Na'vi.  It could be a meetup of the 2 clans :D

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

AketuanNavi

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on July 10, 2011, 11:25:43 PM
It looks like we need more sute ta Learn Na'vi.  It could be a meetup of the 2 clans :D

Yeah! A meetup of the two clans. :)
What percent can I put you down for? 100% ?  ;)

'Oma Tirea

I'll probably be able to decide that more accurately if we have specific dates.  If you want a number that is subject to change, try 10% 25%.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Ekirä

Put me down for 50%, I'll try REALLY hard to attend this. Maybe we should warn Travelodge that we'll take over most of their hotel for a few days in July. :P

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Lawlz yeah I'll set up the hotel as far in advance as I can. Should I reserve like 20 double beds and 10 single beds?  ;D

-Txonä Rolyu

Edit: I know many people have classes till late but I know all of us have a spring break. I could start another thread tp see when people's spring breaks are to see if there's any overlapping time (there's bound to be some). As I said on ToS, the reason why I want it to be on or before June 4th is that myself, Payoang, Txur'Itan, and the ENTIRE June 4th group bought museum memberships for like $60/person and it would be really nice if we could use them again at another meet up. Wouldn't you agree?

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Zefanaya

I will be attending at a 100% chance.
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

AketuanNavi

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on July 10, 2011, 11:44:35 PM
I'll probably be able to decide that more accurately if we have specific dates.  If you want a number that is subject to change, try 10% 25%.

Yeah, we should have dates in next month or two...

Quote from: Ekirä on July 10, 2011, 11:48:25 PM
Put me down for 50%, I'll try REALLY hard to attend this. Maybe we should warn Travelodge that we'll take over most of their hotel for a few days in July. :P

lol, we'd need the whole hotel.  :P

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on July 11, 2011, 01:59:35 AM
Lawlz yeah I'll set up the hotel as far in advance as I can. Should I reserve like 20 double beds and 10 single beds?  ;D

lol, probably more...  :P

QuoteEdit: I know many people have classes till late but I know all of us have a spring break. I could start another thread tp see when people's spring breaks are to see if there's any overlapping time (there's bound to be some). As I said on ToS, the reason why I want it to be on or before June 4th is that myself, Payoang, Txur'Itan, and the ENTIRE June 4th group bought museum memberships for like $60/person and it would be really nice if we could use them again at another meet up. Wouldn't you agree?

True point. And yes we could check on people's spring breaks, but the likelihood of even a few of them being at the same time is slim. And while I would definitely miss school to attend, some people can't. We also have a few teachers in the group and people who's work schedule might conflict.

And, we don't have to buy memberships either, we could just buy a day pass for $12-$15...

However all that being said, I'm not opposed to changing it to spring IF everyone can still make it.

Quote from: Zefanaya on July 11, 2011, 02:45:33 AM
I will be attending at a 100% chance.

Cool.  :D

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Put me [ISV Venture Star/Eyawng te Klltepayu] down for 80%, I'll do my damnedest to get there, Insha'Eywa.
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: AketuanNavi on July 11, 2011, 04:15:11 AM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on July 11, 2011, 01:59:35 AM
Edit: I know many people have classes till late but I know all of us have a spring break. I could start another thread tp see when people's spring breaks are to see if there's any overlapping time (there's bound to be some). As I said on ToS, the reason why I want it to be on or before June 4th is that myself, Payoang, Txur'Itan, and the ENTIRE June 4th group bought museum memberships for like $60/person and it would be really nice if we could use them again at another meet up. Wouldn't you agree?

True point. And yes we could check on people's spring breaks, but the likelihood of even a few of them being at the same time is slim. And while I would definitely miss school to attend, some people can't. We also have a few teachers in the group and people who's work schedule might conflict.

And, we don't have to buy memberships either, we could just buy a day pass for $12-$15...

However all that being said, I'm not opposed to changing it to spring IF everyone can still make it.

Poll created for the possibility of a spring meet up.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Eyawng te Klltepayu on July 11, 2011, 05:53:55 AM
Put me [ISV Venture Star/Eyawng te Klltepayu] down for 80%, I'll do my damnedest to get there, Insha'Eywa.

awesome!  :)    I put you on the list with your ToS username and forum because you have more posts there, but if you want it to be the other way around just tell me.  :)

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on July 11, 2011, 06:03:09 AM

ok, sounds good. I almost think it should be: "which date would you prefer" 1. July/Summer  2. Spring

but either way.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: AketuanNavi on July 11, 2011, 02:46:55 PM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on July 11, 2011, 06:03:09 AM

ok, sounds good. I almost think it should be: "which date would you prefer" 1. July/Summer  2. Spring

but either way.

...and edited.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Alan

Wow!  Talk about light the blue touch paper and retire!  It's all going off like a rocket this 2012 meet up.  ;D

For me, I think we should not limit it to just the two clans, but any Avatar clan.  Besides you will probably find that most of us are on more than one clan anyway.  Aketuan and I have dropped messages on Avatar Forums, but there are others.

Anyway, without trying to sound too much like a spoil-sport, before we race off and start doing stuff in the midst of our wonderful excitement, I'm thinking we need to hold onto our direhorses and determine a few things first...errr...like:

• Who wants to be involved in helping with the next meet up (I know there are a few who have already offered on ToS)
  • What tasks/jobs are there to do
  • Who wants to contribute to what
  • How are we all going to communicate noting we are from/on differnet forums and time zones etc
  • Survey the attendees with some suitable/useful questions to get the feed back we need to help us tune the next one to meet everyone's expectations
  • Find out what went well at the two meet ups that we can build on
  • Find out what could have gone better from at the two events
  • Work out what would be the best date, considering there might be some Aussie eylan for whom it would be a their short winter break for them, not forgetting the Europeans like me!

For this all to be a success we are going to have 'take it to a whole new level' ( ;)) as there are going to be so many more of us.  Not just those of us who came this time around (which would come to 50-ish) but also those on the forums who have seen the pictures and read about our adventure and would like to join us.

I have no doubts this is all within our capability, but we need to plan what needs doing and then work the plan...to coin a phrase from work!  Sorry I've got my design engineer's hat on at them moment.  ;D Hehehe.

For instance, when I contacted the Travelodge to see if they could accommodate our meet ups they bent over backwards for us (compared to the hotel next door I tried!) and not only gave us a group discount, but lent us their breakfast room in the evenings, which we turned into a mini cinema.  It suited us fine for the 20-odd of us, but if our numbers grow it might be a squeeze.  So should we consider somewhere else?  Is a meeting space needed? Do we split into smaller groups to meet in the evenings?  (Noooo!)  Do we find evening meeting venus?  Would the Science Fiction Museum accommodate us?  What activities would we do during the evening anyway?  And so on, and so on...

Hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes.  Apologise if I am, but I just want Seattle Avatar Meet Up 2012 to be the best fan meet up everrrrrr,..and for me it all starts with getting the foundations right.  I think I'll ponder some thoughts at work tomorrow...errr...during lunch time, of course ;D  Hahahaha.

Irayo ma eylan,

Alan

'Oma Tirea

The goos thing is that we have a few months to plot it out :)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Zefanaya

Ok guys lets take a deep breath and move all this to the private board for now. Shall we? We need to sit down, talk, form the planning committee...official committee (I plan events all the time large and small, my services are yours). We need to get senior members (that are related to this) from both forums and liaison for the two forums, as well as our official representative. When we contact places we can't say we are two sperate groups that hang out. We will need to be under one banner, with one or two official reps, and the official planning committee. We need to comunicate every detail as it happens. We also don't want to over plan. Here at the July 9 meet, the first official day had about 2.5 hours of free time, with suggested events. The rest was very structured. You don't want to force people into things, but you can't be too loose. We need to plan the structured day(s) and the make lists of events that people might want to come to if they are staying longer the the planned official says (as we did here in July. July 9 was official day, the rest we had lists of thing we might want to do). I am also in favor of 1 entire, large group dinner (pretty easy for a group of 40, a little harder for a huge group) and the the rest of the time, people are going to want to mingle but also be in their specific clan and friend groups (this happened here in July. Senior members (planning team) hung out, some people joined us, and that became our clan, where we planned for our selves with our free time, what we would do now that the official day was over). Sound good?

NOTE: This will also appear in the private board).     

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Zefanaya on July 11, 2011, 03:22:28 PM
Ok guys lets take a deep breath and move all this to the private board for now. Shall we?

I would say we can have open discussion here about the meetup.

However I do agree with you. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, and lets leave the planning of the event to the private board.

So feel free to discuss the meetup in general here.  :)

Anyway...here's something cool...

Khestalì

If it's in Seattle or thereabouts, I'd say there's a 95% I'll be terrori - *Coughs* Ah, seeing you guys again in another twelve months or so :P

One important thing to keep in mind, no matter where we meet, is the local seasonal weather. If we're meeting in Seattle again, as it seems to sound we would be, there's a high chance it won't be nice and warm and sunny if we meet in the spring, which varies from "wet" to "wetter" to "flooding". June itself is generally very hit-and-miss with sun and rain; you could have a clear, cloudless morning that's raining by noon, followed by breakups and sun, chased by more overcast skies and rain ("Sunny Rain" is a common phenomenon ;D). Not that it's necessarily cold, like winter, but not exactly summer tank-top weather either, and in the mountains the snow level can be low. Hiking/outdoors-wise, July or later would be much better if you want a higher percentage of warm, sunny weather, particularly for a consistant week or more at a time.

Take it from a local - you never know what Washington's gonna throw at ya!

Zefanaya

Quote from: Khestalì on July 11, 2011, 08:37:43 PM
If it's in Seattle or thereabouts, I'd say there's a 95% I'll be terrori - *Coughs* Ah, seeing you guys again in another twelve months or so :P

One important thing to keep in mind, no matter where we meet, is the local seasonal weather. If we're meeting in Seattle again, as it seems to sound we would be, there's a high chance it won't be nice and warm and sunny if we meet in the spring, which varies from "wet" to "wetter" to "flooding". June itself is generally very hit-and-miss with sun and rain; you could have a clear, cloudless morning that's raining by noon, followed by breakups and sun, chased by more overcast skies and rain ("Sunny Rain" is a common phenomenon ;D). Not that it's necessarily cold, like winter, but not exactly summer tank-top weather either, and in the mountains the snow level can be low. Hiking/outdoors-wise, July or later would be much better if you want a higher percentage of warm, sunny weather, particularly for a consistant week or more at a time.

Take it from a local - you never know what Washington's gonna throw at ya!

If you want sun, wait till august, but June is just fine

~Also a local.

DJ Makto

When I packed, I was prepared for rain.

I had a poncho in my pack. 8)

~not a local