Singing at AvatarMeet

Started by `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, February 04, 2012, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The last couple of days, I have been thinking that doing some singing activities at the meetup would be a lot of fun. These could include (but are not limited to):

1. A group sing, like the Na'vi might do around their community fire at night.
2. Record a song, with the brunt of the rehersal done before folks get to Seattle via some sort of 'track' recording.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

AketuanNavi

hmm, I like it.  :) (although I will admit that I am not a singer by any stretch)

I think the camping around the fire might be the most opportune place for it, although not everyone will be there so maybe not....dunno.

What does everyone else think?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: AketuanNavi on February 05, 2012, 02:41:06 AM
hmm, I like it.  :) (although I will admit that I am not a singer by any stretch)

I think the camping around the fire might be the most opportune place for it, although not everyone will be there so maybe not....dunno.

What does everyone else think?

I think it can be done both places.
I think this is a case where the Biblical approach is called for: 'Make  a joyful noise'....

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

Ateyo and I both sing and play, she the mandolin, and I, anything with strings except a Banjo, but we ONLY play backwoods Christian Hymns, and contemporary Christian Country, and Christian Bluegrass music. Plus, there will be NO room in the car we are sharing for a mandolin, and even only one of my guitars.
Anyone that wants to hear us play some "Praise and worship music", just hand us a scrap of paper with your mailing address on it, and we will mail you a cassette. We don't want any money, we do this as a way of spreading the joy of our faith.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

On another thread on this sight, someone submitted the words to Home on the Range in Na'vi.
Hm. 
On the other hand I am work on a song called Ikran Flyer.  It might be fun to make a tune and teach it to folks around the campfire.  Or barring that, in a conference room.  Maybe we can rehearse on the trip up?!

Alan

Txantsan!  This would be great for round the campfire at night :) :) - not that I sing...well, only when in the shower and no one is around!  Hahahaha.

Definitely videoing a Na'vi campfire sing along for the archive ;)

As for rehersal, you could alway post something on YouTube like this guy did:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricWhitacresVrtlChr

This is what the first one turned out like:

Home on the Range?  Sounds good.  I learnt that on the guitar a few years ago!  Although I doubt I'll be able to bring my guitar along with all my other stuff...  Anyway great idea!  Maybe the song that they sing before Toruk Makto arrives could be expanded on?  Just a thought.

Alan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ah! I see the ideas coming together. There has been a lyrics translation in the music section for this song for some time. But there is room for more. Original Na'vi songs would be fun, too (but maybe not the funeral song!)

Too bad I won't be there for the camping part. Perhaps next year.

Yawey ngahu!

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Tirea Aean helped me with these,
For those interested in familiarizing themselves with my lyrics:

IKRAN FLYER         IKRANA TSWAYONYU
I turn very hard left      Oe min nitxa ftar
I turrn very hard right      Oe min nitxa skien
We are one in flight       Titswusayoniri moe lu'aw
My ikran and I  `                   Oeya Ikran sì Oe
Very strong         Txur, seykxel
I feel the wind         'Efu hufwet
Carrying my wings                   A oeri mesyalit spule
Upwards Upwards`                   Nefa, Nefa
Through the  blue skies      Kxamla taw Aean

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That is very nice! Is there a melody for this?

Yawey ngahu!

Human No More

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 05, 2012, 03:25:52 AM

I think this is a case where the Biblical approach is called for: 'Make  a joyful noise'....
I hope that's just a reference to individual skill levels...  :-X

I would not go so far as to assume about others and I would hope the same of them.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

I have not yet created the melody, but I will rrehearse with you on the trip up.
You'll either LOVE it or be SICK OF IT by the time we arrive!
Joyful noise includes beating on a log!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Human No More on February 13, 2012, 05:11:42 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 05, 2012, 03:25:52 AM

I think this is a case where the Biblical approach is called for: 'Make  a joyful noise'....
I hope that's just a reference to individual skill levels...  :-X

I would not go so far as to assume about others and I would hope the same of them.

"Make a joyful noise" in this context means that the singing should be from your heart, and not from skill as a singer. Thus, there is room for everyone to sing together from the classically trained opera singer to the person who couldn't hold a tune if it had a handle on it.  ;)

Yawey ngahu!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Hm, interesting proposal. I DO wan to perform the AVTR theme song, although I'm in the process of teaching it to myself on the piano (it's going quite well) and once I have it nice and polished I'm going to lay down the accompaniment, lead vocal, and background vocal tracks :) It would be cool to do a live performance, I have some karaoke tracks :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

One of the first questions I asked on this forum was:What are the words to that song."
The response was that they are merely syllabics. Have you set it to words? I harmonize well and would be willing to learn an alto part!  I think Ma EeMB* fellow from Holland wants to create a multitrack recording as well!
*I think he was NotW #90

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Ateyo Te Syaksyuk on February 19, 2012, 12:20:37 AM
One of the first questions I asked on this forum was:What are the words to that song."
The response was that they are merely syllabics. Have you set it to words? I harmonize well and would be willing to learn an alto part!  I think Ma EeMB* fellow from Holland wants to create a multitrack recording as well!
*I think he was NotW #90

The words to what song, the theme song, I See You? That's the only song with actual words, all the others are just syllables.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on February 21, 2012, 01:24:23 AM
*I think he was NotW #90

The words to what song, the theme song, I See You? That's the only song with actual words, all the others are just syllables.

I'd be happy to join you if the lyrics could get translated in Na'vi... I know there was an old thread on the matter, where notably not enough words existed at the time to sufficiently translate the song.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Alan

Kaltxi ma eylan,

Where are we with this idea?  It is perhaps something we could do at the EMP museum.  I'm sure they would be interested.

Is "I See You" the chosen one to do?  Or a newly composed one covering Avatar Fans, their thoughts/feelings about Avatar, the whole community and those who brought it to us?

Just thoughts.  I really would like to see this happen...

Alan

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on February 28, 2012, 12:48:49 AM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on February 21, 2012, 01:24:23 AM
*I think he was NotW #90

I'd be happy to join you if the lyrics could get translated in Na'vi... I know there was an old thread on the matter, where notably not enough words existed at the time to sufficiently translate the song.

Ngat Kame

tìran kxamlä oey unil
ngat kame
atan mì ton ngop tìsìlpey letìrey
set oe ruyereiey fa nga
'ieia
oe sìlpey a fì'unil ke 'i'a

oe käpame fa nga
tìran kxamlä tìrey tswusayon
tìrey ngeyä lu fya'o Eywayä
oeyä tìrey
tìyawn ngaru

tengkrr txe'lan ke piak lu
ulte vitra ke rerey
kifkeyru ngal oeti wìntxu
slä menari ke lu ke'aw
ayopin tìreyä ulte tìyawnä frakrr

oe käpame fa nga
tswerayon
tìrey ngeyä lu fya'o Eywayä
tìsyìng oeyä tìrey
rey fa ngeyä tìyawn
rey fa ngeyä tìrey

ngat kame...
ngat kame...

Sung to the edited movie credits version. Latter parts are somewhat unsingable though...
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan, ma Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng! However, you might look around to see who may have translated that song before (I know I have seen or heard it somewhere). Between what you have done, and what other have done, it might solve some of your singability problems.

'I See You' would be fun to sing as a group, but for something to record, it is really more of a solo piece. What other things can we come up with that would be fun to sing together as a group. The songs wouldn't even need to have anything to do with 'Avatar' to be good Na'vi songs. After all, we have done Christmas carols, etc. in the past!

Yawey ngahu!

Irtaviš Ačankif

The only other translation I found was ta Ikran Ahiyìk. It attempted to fit all the words of the English translation through syllable omission and changing pronunciation of some words. The lyrics don't even look Na'vi IMO:

Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.