T-Shirt Design

Started by AketuanNavi, March 13, 2012, 03:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prrton

Quote from: Alan on May 01, 2012, 03:02:23 PM
Afraid I've been lurking in the Pandoran undergrowth following this thread and you know what?  I kinda like it.  Reminds me what's waiting out there....when I get to Seattle.

I do have one suggestion, and feel free to tell me to talk a long walk off a short pier, but I was wondering if the text might be:

'Awa olo'

'One Clan'.  The reason for this is simply because over the past two and a bit years (is it that long?!), I have found that despite there being multiple forums for Avatar, we all 'know' each other, we are all like one family, regardless of country or background.  Coming together in Seattle later this year, if it is anything like last year, will be an amazing experience for all of us and we will be 'One Clan'.

Well....that's my little thought.

Alan....*disappears back into the Pandoran undergrowth...

I'm not highly vested in what the line reads (or there even being a requirement that there be a line). The meaning in 'awa olo' is also very nice. If the people who vote are more in favor of that than using the line more or less from the film, the I might suggest rendering it as olo' a'aw, simply because that's perfectly valid Na'vi and it is not as English-like. Also the glottal stops at the beginning and end of 'awa olo' could easily be misinterpreted (by non-speakers) as awa olo in single quotes.

I guess I'm slightly more in favor of _____ hapxì luyu set, because it was a very moving scene for me personally in the film, but my vote should not be the one that decides.

Seiyi irayo, ma Alan. Rutxe, sriver nì'ul nìprrte'*

Prrton

Quote from: Nosi'em Ikranay on May 01, 2012, 03:31:52 PM
Ngaru tsulfä, ma Prrton.   :D  Deal, so long as you know that I am content with your choices.  I enjoy the way you think as you're putting all of this together.  If I haven't said it before, then I will say it now: Eywa lrrtok soli krra nga slolu hapxìtu Na'viyä ayoengä.

Ke pxan, ma Nosi'em. Ke pxan, kaw'it.

mikkowilson

I really really like this design. I'd love to buy this shirt. (My preference would be black, FYI.)

But I wonder if that's the right scene for this meetup?

The theme we've been running for AvatarMeet 2012 is "Uniting the Clans". A slightly different message; as the idea is the 2 groups from last year (plus many others) coming together for a single event.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Prrton

I'm more than happy to withdraw it as a candidate for further consideration.

Seze Mune

If the theme is constructed around 'uniting the clans', then it is themed around particles.

If it is about being One (of the people) it is about being a whole cloth unit. 

I rather like the idea of an already accomplished unity rather than emphasizing the particles.  IOW, Prrton's theme seems more relevant to Unity, to me.

CyanRachel

Wow!!!
Really love your latest designs, Prrton (they esp look great on a black T-shirt)!
And I like "part of the clan" (but "part of the Na'vi" works for me too).  :D
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Palulukan-Makto

I love the t-shirt designs really beautiful!!!! I love the black one better then the white one because the details stand out more. But thats just me.
Oel ngati kameie

Avatar is the greatest movie of all time!!!

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid! Ignorant like a child!" - Neytiri

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Ma Prrten! RUTXE!
do not withdraw your design!!!!
Whether it be one clan or many clans, the theme is UNITY
and your logo expresses it VERY WELL!
I like OLO' A'AW

Oeru txoa livu, Ma Prrten,
for my previous comment about membership
I misunderstood the intent.
(leftover RDA brain, I suppose!)

Alan

Ooo...noo don't withdraw your design Prrton!

Thanks for the correction on " olo' a'aw ".  I'll be the first to admit I'm not an avid Na'vi speaker.  I wish I was, but maaan, I just can't find the time.  If only there were 36 hours in a day!

I must admit, as CyanRachel mentioned earlier, her and I did have a go at trying to incorporate the 'becoming one of the people' idea into the AvatarMeet logo with the concept that she came up with and I tried to model.  But we could not get it to quite work, as you can see below:

But you have made it work to great effect and is a great design for an Avatar fan T-Shirt. :D

Alan

Prrton

Quote from: Alan on May 02, 2012, 04:47:06 PM
Ooo...noo don't withdraw your design Prrton!

Thanks for the correction on " olo' a'aw ".  I'll be the first to admit I'm not an avid Na'vi speaker.  I wish I was, but maaan, I just can't find the time.  If only there were 36 hours in a day!

I must admit, as CyanRachel mentioned earlier, her and I did have a go at trying to incorporate the 'becoming one of the people' idea into the AvatarMeet logo with the concept that she came up with and I tried to model.  But we could not get it to quite work, as you can see below:

But you have made it work to great effect and is a great design for an Avatar fan T-Shirt. :D

Alan

Ma Alan,

Thanks for sharing this. It is conceptually the exact same idea, just a different (more abstracted) approach. The synchronicity of that is very interesting to me.

As you know, I've not been involved in planning this year's event, so when I hear from someone like Mikko, who is an organizer, that the design doesn't fit the "atmosphere" for this particular theme, I'm in no position to feel anything but that I don't know what I'm talking about and I need not spend any more time on something that will not come to any fruition for the purpose at hand. I am not in the business of designing t-shirts, though I have done it many times in the past and I do very much appreciate their value as artifacts and "identity markers" in the big picture of human social contexts. There are certainly other ways for me to contribute to the community and I'm already doing most of them. Even Mikko has been complimentary and I'm very appreciative of that praise from him and others who have been supportive of my ideas and outcomes for this project thus far, but my time (like everyone else's) is too valuable to spend on a pragmatic dead end.

I've decided that I'll only invest more time in modifying/optimizing what I've already done if I'm asked to do that by whomever it is who is (officially) in charge of producing the shirts; handling orders; etc. For the purpose of discussing costs, etc. with printers, I've already shown or commented above on what I'm prepared to do to support the final process, and I'm happy to take templates and/or other specifications mandated by the screen printer and adjust the digital artwork accordingly.

My suggestion of olo' a'aw instead of 'awa olo' is ONLY a suggestion for a variation that means the same thing, but looks a bit more exotic. 'Awa olo' is not incorrect in any way. Rest assured.  ;D

Thank you again for showing me the designs that you and CyanRachel put together.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Prrton on May 02, 2012, 05:41:24 PM
Ma Alan,

Thanks for sharing this. It is conceptually the exact same idea, just a different (more abstracted) approach. The synchronicity of that is very interesting to me.

As you know, I've not been involved in planning this year's event, so when I hear from someone like Mikko, who is an organizer, that the design doesn't fit the "atmosphere" for this particular theme, I'm in no position to feel anything but that I don't know what I'm talking about and I need not spend any more time on something that will not come to any fruition for the purpose at hand. I am not in the business of designing t-shirts, though I have done it many times in the past and I do very much appreciate their value as artifacts and "identity markers" in the big picture of human social contexts. There are certainly other ways for me to contribute to the community and I'm already doing most of them. Even Mikko has been complimentary and I'm very appreciative of that praise from him and others who have been supportive of my ideas and outcomes for this project thus far, but my time (like everyone else's) is too valuable to spend on a pragmatic dead end.

I've decided that I'll only invest more time in modifying/optimizing what I've already done if I'm asked to do that by whomever it is who is (officially) in charge of producing the shirts; handling orders; etc. For the purpose of discussing costs, etc. with printers, I've already shown or commented above on what I'm prepared to do to support the final process, and I'm happy to take templates and/or other specifications mandated by the screen printer and adjust the digital artwork accordingly.

My suggestion of olo' a'aw instead of 'awa olo' is ONLY a suggestion for a variation that means the same thing, but looks a bit more exotic. 'Awa olo' is not incorrect in any way. Rest assured.  ;D

Thank you again for showing me the designs that you and CyanRachel put together.

We don't have a word yet for 'bummer'  :(

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Seze Mune

Ma Prrton,

I am partial to your design.  When there is such synchronicity between your design and Alan & CyanRachel's design, does that not already show a unity of the clans in heart and mind?

I haven't seen any other design which seems to so appropriately show a uniting of the clans.  If someone else is designing a t-shirt, it hasn't been made public to my knowledge.

Stepping away from the project is understandable when there hasn't been a consensus of opinion between the organizers involved and whomever needs to give final approval.  If any.

If the project were moving along fast enough, pre-event sales of the t-shirt might provide some ready cash for further clan events.  Fpi engendering a feeling of unity, it would be an awesome thing.

Prrton

Quote from: Seze Mune on May 02, 2012, 10:46:03 PM
Ma Prrton,

I am partial to your design.  When there is such synchronicity between your design and Alan & CyanRachel's design, does that not already show a unity of the clans in heart and mind?

I haven't seen any other design which seems to so appropriately show a uniting of the clans.  If someone else is designing a t-shirt, it hasn't been made public to my knowledge.

Stepping away from the project is understandable when there hasn't been a consensus of opinion between the organizers involved and whomever needs to give final approval.  If any.

If the project were moving along fast enough, pre-event sales of the t-shirt might provide some ready cash for further clan events.  Fpi engendering a feeling of unity, it would be an awesome thing.

Ma Seze, Ma Frapo,

I submitted my idea in response to this:

Quote from: AketuanNavi on March 13, 2012, 03:13:11 PM
...In the next month or so we will post/create a poll for people to vote in to decide the final design for the meetup t-shirt...

I interpreted Mikko's comment to mean that my idea would not meet the "requirements" to be included in this poll because thematically it falls short of the (committee's) aspirations for design. He is one of the primary organizers for the Seattle event this July and a moderator on this board.

I'm perfectly happy for what I've designed so far to stand as a candidate for the poll, but I'm not motivated to spend any more time making modifications to the artwork at this stage if those who will be constructing the poll are dubious about its inclusion even in that process.

If my design is included in the poll and selected as the "final" or "winning" entry, then I'm happy to modify the artwork to include more female figures and to adjust any other parameters that are required to make it ready for the production process (including modifying the subtitle to whatever sentiment is selected by the voters). If my design is not included in the poll or if some other design is selected by the voters even though my design is included in the poll then I'm perfectly content to have spent the time I have already so far (voluntarily, happily) and I'll look forward to seeing the people's choice design.

In the face of the ambiguities, I simply won't be spending any more time on design revisions before the conclusion of the poll.

I hope that this attitude of mine does not come across as difficult or disrespectful toward the members of the Community. I simply do not believe in spending time on futile pursuits in any context for any endeavor.

Seze Mune

Oel ngati kameie, ma Prrton. Tslolam. Txantsluslama tìftxey.

mikkowilson

Aww shoot; I knew as I posted that I should have been more clear.

Ngaytxoa...

I was speaking personally, and definitely not as any sort of organizer authority. I need to be more clear about that.

We (the organizers) have no stance on any of the designs yet, we are still watching to see what comes in.

My comments where intended to try and foster some other designs from perhaps some other "angles". Ma Prrton; I feel like your design has totally stolen the show. It's really good. I'd have trouble submitting an entry to go against it, so I was merely trying to encourage some other designs; because - quite frankly - almost all the art / design work I see from fans is outstandingly good, and I always want to see more of it. Part of me was also hoping to see if you had any other design ideas you'd be willing to share around other themes.

We don't have a "lead T-shirt" person, nor have we fleshed out the process for creating, printing, selling, making available, etc.. the shirts for the meetup. A commemorative shirt is something many would like for the event; and instead of slapping the "2012 meetup logo" on a shirt and calling it done; we wanted to open it up to the community to come together to create a shirt that we knew would be way better than any of us could design.

My absolute last intent was to discourage anyone. Ulte nìmun, ayngaytxoa; for my poor communication.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

Prrton

Quote from: mikkowilson on May 03, 2012, 01:06:28 AM
Aww shoot; I knew as I posted that I should have been more clear.

Ngaytxoa...

I was speaking personally, and definitely not as any sort of organizer authority. I need to be more clear about that.

We (the organizers) have no stance on any of the designs yet, we are still watching to see what comes in.

My comments where intended to try and foster some other designs from perhaps some other "angles". Ma Prrton; I feel like your design has totally stolen the show. It's really good. I'd have trouble submitting an entry to go against it, so I was merely trying to encourage some other designs; because - quite frankly - almost all the art / design work I see from fans is outstandingly good, and I always want to see more of it. Part of me was also hoping to see if you had any other design ideas you'd be willing to share around other themes.

We don't have a "lead T-shirt" person, nor have we fleshed out the process for creating, printing, selling, making available, etc.. the shirts for the meetup. A commemorative shirt is something many would like for the event; and instead of slapping the "2012 meetup logo" on a shirt and calling it done; we wanted to open it up to the community to come together to create a shirt that we knew would be way better than any of us could design.

My absolute last intent was to discourage anyone. Ulte nìmun, ayngaytxoa; for my poor communication.

- Mikko

Ma Mikko, kaltxì. Oel ngati kameie.

This is very clarifying. Thank you.

Let me repeat that I'm happy for my design as submitted to stand for inclusion in the poll for voting whenever that happens.

I think it's probably best for me to largely disengage from the process at this stage, though. Until the nature of the decision-making is clarified, I'm not really comfortable remaining (personally) on this "stage." I don't want to discourage others from submitting designs either, and I'm a bit leery of the process overall if in fact it is not the poll itself that will decide the outcome. Your comment: "We (the organizers) have no stance on any of the designs yet, we are still watching to see what comes in." encourages me to infer that ultimately the selection may not be made based entirely on "public opinion" (i.e., the poll). If this is the case, I (as a member of the Community) would personally be more comfortable understanding precisely WHERE the buck stops, and how the organizers intend to factor the poll results into their (your) ultimate decision. For example (hypothetically), if you personally end up "in charge" of the shirts and you take the poll numbers (and other organizers' opinions ??) into account but ultimately you as the Directly Responsible Individual for the "whole shirt deal" are deciding the "winner", then I already know (feel) that my submission is at a disadvantage because you (personally) find it at least somewhat conceptually weak for the iconic/symbolic purpose at hand. If the decision-making process will work differently, but precisely "how" and "who" (is in the role of baby-splitter) is not clarified then, for me, the ambiguities of the process are still a bit uncomfortable.

Please realize that I'm not accusing you (or anyone else) of being an unfair person or of treating me badly. I'm just saying I feel at this juncture that it's likely best for me to sequester myself at a safe "distance" and begin "watching" how this all unfolds from an organizational standpoint. I'll refrain from submitting any more ideas or designs of my own, and want to very honestly, humbly and publicly encourage anyone and everyone who has concepts and designs to put them forward as soon as possible so that you (and any of the other organizers who may be watching and discussing the posts in this topic 'offline') can have ideas and concrete designs emerge from this process that you can embrace wholeheartedly, without reservation.

If ultimately your goal is actually to find artistically talented people who will visually/graphically implement ideas/concepts that you and other members of the organizing body already have—but for which you lack the realization/rendering skills—then I'd suggest that you 'advertise' in that vein. You're absolutely correct that there are MANY talented people in this Community and you'll very likely find volunteers to "work for you" in that capacity. But, that is a very different structure and dynamic (socially and emotionally for those who agree to engage) when compared to an open call for submissions to be decided by a general vote of one's peers.

Best of luck in filling the submissions bucket to the brim!

I'll be watching.

mikkowilson

I should stop talking myself into this hole. :)

The process is not yet finalized beyond we want to help facilitate the community's desires best we can into every aspect of the meetup.

I can't really make any other statements beyond that, as there are questions raised here we haven't discussed.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

Prrton

Quote from: mikkowilson on May 03, 2012, 12:58:28 PM
I should stop talking myself into this hole. :)

The process is not yet finalized beyond we want to help facilitate the community's desires best we can into every aspect of the meetup.

I can't really make any other statements beyond that, as there are questions raised here we haven't discussed.

- Mikko

Ma Mikko

It's not my intention to create any kind of hole, but if this discussion has become a good stimulus for you and the other organizers to go talk about the actual process and logistics for getting the shirt(s) realized; and naming the person who can vewng (take care of) this topic and the project management required to pull it all off as an edifying experience for everyone involved, then I hope it's worthwhile for that.

In the big picture of things, I'm trying to be supportive. But, with any "open submissions" effort that is destined to produce real things (e.g. "shirts") using the money of others, the devil is in the details. I sincerely apologize if I am the embodiment of that devil right now. That is not my intent.

Best of luck in the organizing body's future discussions about this and all of the other details that I'm sure you have on your collective plate. I'm 100% confident that nobody doubts that you "want to help facilitate the community's desires best we can into every aspect of the meet up." Without all of you and your efforts it wouldn't be happening at all.

Nosi'em Ikranay

As a whole, this thread is a very good thing.  It has stimulated much discussion and perhaps will serve to spur the process along, should it need that.

So far, we have a very popular design as well as invitations for more submissions.  At some point, the submissions process will have to be closed so that the t-shirts can be created and (hopefully) some process developed for online ( ;) ) sales, as well as on-site sales.

Ma Mikko, rutxe don't be worried.  I'll take the liberty to say that we're all looking forward to seeing you model the real deal when it's created, hopefully soon!  ;)  ;D

Seze Mune

Has anything been happening in the t-shirt dept., or has this gone dormant?