T-Shirt Design

Started by AketuanNavi, March 13, 2012, 03:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AketuanNavi

T-Shirts!

We are planning on making t-shirts for the meetup, and we need ideas on the design.

The only constraints placed on the design is that it should use 3 colors or less and has to be "appropriate".

Post your ideas and designs here, talk about them, get input...ect

In the next month or so we will post/create a poll for people to vote in to decide the final design for the meetup t-shirt. Attatched is the logo for the meetup if anyone needs it. If you require anything else, just post it here.

Good Luck and have fun!  :)

Logo1
Logo2

hì'ia tuté

I like the first one you posted best... I wish I could go to the Meetup and of course I couldn't have learned about the meetup while I still lived in Oregon (which would have made it relatively easy and cheaper to attend). I now live in Arizona and live on Student Loans... I doubt I'll have enough left over for much more than a meal at a fast food restaurant if that by the end of the semester. :(

mikkowilson

The above are just the AvatarMeet 2012 logos. We are hoping for some help designing the actual T-shirts. They can use the logos or be entirely original designs.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

hì'ia tuté

oic... hmm... I'm not artistic in terms of drawing but maybe I can come up with something fun with stills from the movie as like a front/back design with the Meetup logo... I know I won't be going but maybe I can come up with something fun for the T-shirt. lol. depends on how much time I have with school...

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

I think photo stills involve four color process.
I used to be a graphic artist.
I will try my hand at this.

Seze Mune

Something like the stylized ikran design above would be nice. 

Or perhaps something else which could be rendered easily as a logo - an outline drawing of a kelutral with an ikran or Samson flying over it?

Or perhaps there is something on DeviantArt which could be used as a simple drawing without color, like this:

Prrton

This is only a rough conceptual mockup, but I think the sybology of the "laying on hands" ceremony when Jake becomes Omaticayan would be nice for this. Quite iconic. The Na'vi phrase, "You are now one of the people." is also striking in terms of raw meaning (ral), significance (wawe), and sound (pam). The way I've written it here it's not "you" or "I" or "we all". I've just dropped the pronoun altogether. The meaning is still perfectly clear at the required level. Roughly it implies "everyone connected here (in the image (symbolically)) is honorably now a member (part) of The People."

If people like the raw idea, I'm willing to flesh it out in more detail so that it reads more as actual people forming the connections, but it will take a lot of time to realize it fully, so I don't want to pursue that if people buying the shirts aren't excited about it.

I've done this without referencing the actual scene in the film visually, but I think the main point is to capture the concept of the ritual.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

THIS IDEA TRULY CAPTURES THAT SENSE OF OLO'ULTE SOIAIA THAT WE ALL CRAVE!
FLESH IT OUT!

CyanRachel

Irayo, Prrton, for sharing that incredible design! I love it! Yes, do flesh it out!

I actually tried myself to make that kind of image (the circle/web of all the Na'vi touching shoulders) as a logo, but it just didn't look right (and Alan knows b/c I showed it to him as a rough design).

Seems like you succeeded at the design a whole lot better than I could, Prrton. Great job!  :D

I'd love to have that design and Na'vi saying on a Meetup T-shirt.
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Prrton

Can I get a 3rd?  ;)

This is the level of detail that I feel is practical for a T-shirt.

I'll take this level of complexity and implement the design with the slightly more realistic figures (than in the prototype above). But, I need to know who is going to produce the shirt and work with them on the ink color(s), etc.

The left image is 3 colors (3 inks) on white. The right image is a simulation of a single ink in a screen mindset (to produce the shading).

Please realize that I'm volunteering to produce digital artwork for this, but I can't take on the responsibility of the production, etc.

Any feedback appreciated!!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

You know, though the stick figures are not bad to begin with. The design being symbolic to begin with, the stick figures work. You may find that adding much more detail will actually make the design look too 'busy'. And you have already pointed out that this design is simpler to screen-print. It will also be more durable in the wash, etc.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Prrton

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 25, 2012, 01:44:47 AM
You know, though the stick figures are not bad to begin with. The design being symbolic to begin with, the stick figures work. You may find that adding much more detail will actually make the design look too 'busy'. And you have already pointed out that this design is simpler to screen-print. It will also be more durable in the wash, etc.

From a distance, the one with the added detail will still read very much like the "web" of the stick figures, but it should have a slightly more organic feel to it. From up close, though it will be possible to see that the figures are individuals. That also seems symbolically meaningful to me. Each member brings something slightly different to the mix, right?

hì'ia tuté

Prrton - That is amazing. I really like both the 'stick-figure' image and the detailed Na'vi image.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Ma Prrton!
I like your concept so much that I won't submit one of my own.
I too like the concept of individuals making the whole.
The figures drawn with the heavier outline would lend themselves well to a three color process IMHO
A few random feathers and armbands would denote diversity
Just dont over do it!

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

i love it ma prrton!!

even though i wont go to the meetup, i want one!

i might have to get someone to mail one to me  ;D
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Prrton

Irayo, ma frapo! It's nice to feel some love.  ;D

Could someone who will be doing the final production orders weigh in on:

- What color or colors will the shirt material be?
- Are the 3 colors referred to in the initial posting spot colors? AND, can they be screened or do they need to be solid?
- Do you have any concerns about the examples above so far?

I just don't want to spend time creating something that can't be produced the way it's designed.

Seiyi irayo nì'li!

Seze Mune

Someone just sent me the link to what they claim is an awesome t-shirt site.  I don't know if this is something which could be helpful, but I will post it here in the hopes that it is:

Imaginary Foundation

mikkowilson

We haven't settled on a T-shirt printer yet.

It was going to be Payoang, but after he closed up shop, we're kinda still working on where to get these made. And with all the planning for AvatarMeet2012, the T-shirts isn't quite at the top of the list, so we are looking for designs first. - Though any suggestions for printers would be appreciated also. :)

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA

Prrton

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 25, 2012, 01:18:23 PM
Someone just sent me the link to what they claim is an awesome t-shirt site.  I don't know if this is something which could be helpful, but I will post it here in the hopes that it is:

Imaginary Foundation

These are quite amazing, but this is not a "simple printing job."

Quote from: mikkowilson on April 25, 2012, 02:34:50 PM
We haven't settled on a T-shirt printer yet.

It was going to be Payoang, but after he closed up shop, we're kinda still working on where to get these made. And with all the planning for AvatarMeet2012, the T-shirts isn't quite at the top of the list, so we are looking for designs first. - Though any suggestions for printers would be appreciated also. :)

- Mikko

Since there is no rush, I'll just gradually work on both versions ((a)3 color and (b)1 color (blue) using a screen).

Can the AvatarMeet 2012 logo (1 color) go on the back, or does all of the artwork need to be on the front?

mikkowilson

The logo doesn't need to be anywhere on the shirt, it's just provided as a design asset.
Whether it's on there or not, and where, is entirely up to the designer.

Once we have a design, (and a printer,) we'll have a better idea of costs.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA