Using word order for emphasis and connotation

Started by Txepä Tsyal, July 05, 2010, 07:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txepä Tsyal

Since Na'vi has such free word order, I would like to know if there is a method in which to first of all place emphasis on certain words or ideas, and secondly how (or if) word order can be used to change the connotation of words.

Irayo
New personal modo:

wm.annis

We know too little about Na'vi in general to be able to give much advice in the way of connotations.  The only clear example we have is tì'awpo individuality (neg. connotation) selfishness.

In terms of emphasis, Frommer has said that the end of a clause is where the "punch" is.

Kemaweyan

I can say from other languages with free word order (russian, ukrainian), much more important is intonation than word order. But we can put word in the begin or end of phrase to stress it. However there are many reasons and ways to do it.

We can put it in the end of phrase for saving of intrigue (as Pawl said about "meoauniaea" in message on Earth's Day). In begin we often put it when explain the meaning or tell something new about it (yeah, as I did in this sentence, but I don't know is it right in english or no)... Actually perhaps I can't totally explain this point.. I think you need to feel it...
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D