The Über Anime List

Started by Taronyu, January 14, 2010, 04:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blossom

My favorite anime so far (I'm a newbie so I still have a lot to learn anime-wise  ;D):

Pandora Hearts

And I'd love to see black cat, but haven't had the time yet!

Tsa'räni

I'm surprised Berserk hasn't been mentioned.  That's a great series if you like violence and dark anti-heroes.

Tanhì Tireafya'o

One that really should be listed, 'though it's sort of already said.

Full metal alchemist

But then the brotherhood version. Really love it.

Son of The Eastern Sea Ikran Tribe

Pandora, is all our earth could have been

Étienne

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 10, 2010, 04:48:51 PM
I'm surprised Berserk hasn't been mentioned.  That's a great series if you like violence and dark anti-heroes.

It's alright in my opinon but I was never of fan of the anime since it's art is a bit dated.

sefuheron

Well, my first anime was Ouran Highschool Host Club... enjoyed that one a lot.  Currently I am watching Vampire Knight and loving it to death. I think Ill start on Pandora Hearts next tho.
Yom yom yom. Txonti swiräl.

Étienne

Ouran Highschool Host Club was awesome.

Atan Menari

My sister and I love Lucky Star. It's like Seinfeld for otaku!
One day, I will translate a Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged quote into Na'vi!

kxanì tsamsiyu

I love all of the Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Dragonball GT series's,
especially as they are re-mastering them into better quality this means i am going to have to watch all of them again  ;D

Étienne

Quote from: Atan Menari on February 25, 2010, 09:57:45 AM
My sister and I love Lucky Star. It's like Seinfeld for otaku!

First time I watched it was at a convention. I never laughed so damn hard. :D

Tíngay outíngay

Wolf's Rain

It has been 200 years since the last credible sighting of a wolf. They are now believed to be extinct. How wrong, Wolf's Rain follows the story of a pack of wolves as they trek across a post-apocalyptic wasteland with the Flower maiden, Cheza looking for paradise, set against them are the Nobles, the cruel elitist ruling class who have their own plans and one lone hunter with a hatred for wolves that reaches from his past.

Highly recommend, and i sucked at conveying the epicness of this anime (Sam)
This is not a signature... It is also not a blatant lie.

Eana Taw atsawl

Liar Game

Nao Kanzaki is a girl who compulsivly tells the truth, which causes a fair few problems in ordinary life. But when she recieves an invitation to the "Liar Game", a mysterious and (obviously) totally illegal tournament where the players must trick, swindle and decieve in order to win, Nao quickly finds herself with a 100,000,000 Yen debt. Enter Akiyama, the legendary swindler. Together these two enter the tournament in the hope of bringing it down once and for all, preventing anymore people getting hurt by this vicious game.
But when no-one trusts anyone, how can anyone be saved?

and another good one (if you like psycological seinen)
Gamble Fish

Shishidou is a prestigious school for the rich and powerful. Not an enviroment that welcomes transfer students from public schools and lowly backgrounds. But this student is Tomi Shirasagi. Very quickly people begin to notice Tomi (and not in a good way), and Tomi uses this attention to put his plan into motion: He will accept any challange at any game, with the stake being at least double what the last challenger bet. Through this, he intends to ruin the school, for reasons that are (at present) unknown. You follow Tomi through the matches which steadily escalate from a simple game of Heads or Tails, to dice games in which the players' lives are on the line.

Both of these are Manga that will require some real cerebral exercise in order to understand, let alone predict the winning stratagy. Every game in both Manga, while appearing to be games of luck, are games of psycological control, timing and strategy.

both these choises are not "average" manga by any means, so most people find them either boring or pointless, but IMO they are two of the best Manga around

Only a heretic brings a gun to a swordfight
                               But only a moron brings a sword to a gunfight

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into you're sig and add 1 to the generation

Roiki

Black Lagoon

The story follows a team of pirates/mercenaries known as Lagoon Company, who smuggle goods in and around the seas of Southeast Asia in the early 1990s.[4] Their base of operations is located in the fictional city of Roanapur in Thailand, and they transport goods in the 80-foot (24 m) Elco-type PT boat Black Lagoon. When on land, they move around and conduct business using Benny's 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, although in episode 24 he's seen driving a 1965 Pontiac GTO after his Roadrunner is blown up in episode 17. Lagoon Company does business with various clients, but has a particularly friendly relationship with the Russian crime syndicate Hotel Moscow. The team takes on a variety of missions—which may involve violent firefights, hand-to-hand combat, and nautical battles—in various Southeast Asian locations and when not doing much, the members of the Lagoon Company spend much of their down time at The Yellow Flag, a bar in Roanapur which is often destroyed in firefights.

I don't watch that much anime, but this is definitely one of my favorites. It begins with the protagonist, Rock, being taken hostage by the lagoon Company. When his superiors abandon him to cover up his involvement in their smuggling scheme, he decides to abandon his old life and join the Lagoon Company. It might sound just your average action-anime but it does manage to sink some social and philosophical pondering amidst the dark humor and gunfights, it also has some good character development and it's humor is in a class of its own.

It's originally a manga but i find the anime adaption to be a lot better, but i've never been much of a reader so i suggest you check both of them.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Txonyu

Trigun is really good if you like the sort of really comical anime, i think its supposed to be serious but the main character Vash is always cracking corny jokes. The art is great and the story line is awesome.
Also Loveless and Love Hina are pretty awesome too  8)
Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars.

Kxamtxon Tsamsiyu

"First it was just orders, then everything changed.." ~Jake Sully
Neytiri & Jake

Payä Tìrol

Someone once described Elfen Lied to me as "a typical harem anime with buckets of blood dumped on"

I'd have to agree, after watching it.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Kxamtxon Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on August 07, 2010, 03:24:31 PM
Someone once described Elfen Lied to me as "a typical harem anime with buckets of blood dumped on"

I'd have to agree, after watching it.
A friend recommended it to me, and that is a pretty good description.Since I have seen it myself. But yeah it really is one of the more mature animes out there, that's for sure.

"First it was just orders, then everything changed.." ~Jake Sully
Neytiri & Jake

ShadowMainZERO

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

The most kickass anime in existence.
Quote from: TV TropesTengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (roughly "Heaven-Piercing Crimson Face") is what happens when you ask Studio Gainax to create a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Lonely orphan Simon (pronounced "Shi-mon" in Japanese and "SEE-mon" in the dub) lives in an underground village, digging for ancient artifacts and eating pigmoles. His self-appointed big brother, Kamina, is a hot-headed idiot gang leader/delinquent who dreams of going to the "Surface" like his father, despite the village elder's insistence that there's no such thing.

Then Simon discovers a strange drill-shaped key and, later on, a pint-sized mecha that seems to respond to the key.

Taking his brother to see it, they're interrupted by, in turn, the elder, the roof collapsing, a massive bestial robotic head (which Kamina faces off against with just a katana), and Yoko, a woman with a very big gun and very little clothing firing at said beast-mecha — a "Gunmen".

Thus begins a rollercoaster ride of Fanservice, over-the-top fight scenes between mecha, hot-bloodedness, epic sunglasses, massive Badassery, and mind-blowing heroism. Great fun, and doesn't take itself seriously at all. Don't try reading any science into it, common theory holds that the Universe is actually governed by Rule Of Cool and Rule Of Funny.

Rave Master

Quote from: TV TropesFifty years ago in a fantasy-filled world, a evil force known as Dark Bring was plaguing the planet, turning hearts twisted and corrupt with its dark power, which in turn sparked wars and turmoil. One man, known as the Rave Master and armed with special powers known as Rave used to counter against the Dark Bring, attempted to stop the madness by tracking the Dark Bring source and proceeding to destroy it once and for all...

He...didn't quite get the job done.

For as he thought victory was his, the source of the Dark Bring proceeded to explode, taking one tenth of the known world's landscape with it. Not to mention losing most of the Rave Master's powers in the process. Jump to 50 years later on a little known bit of land called Garage Island, where we meet Haru Glory who snags a strange-looking...um, "dog" called Plue while out fishing. One thing leads to another before he's deemed the 2nd Rave Master whose job is to bring peace to the world and save it from the lingering threat of the Dark Bring and those who wield its powers for their own selfish and destructive ends. He gains allies along the way and overall has one heck of an adventure.

I'm also going to watch Noein soon. It's been called Quantum Physics: The Anime and it sounds cool.

P.S. Yes, I'm too lazy to come up with my own descriptions.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

Eana Unil

*necro-posts again* ...

My favorites, which I recommend to anyone who likes anime:

Ergo Proxy
Blue Submarine No. 6
Plastic Little
Perfect Blue
Elfen Lied
Ghost In The Shell
Appleseed
Last Exile
Death Note
Blood+/BloodC
A Kite
Grave of the Fireflies
Battle Angel Alita
Princess Mononoke
Blackrock Shooter
Neon Genesis Evangelion (26 part series and movies 1.11, 2.22, 3.33)
Angel Sanctuary
Blood Of The Immortal
Blame!

and some more, which I forgot right now...

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Eana Unil on August 29, 2013, 08:58:47 PM
*necro-posts again* ...
Kehe -> revive! ;D

Well, it was a long time back...
What I can remember?

Ghost In The Shell
Akira (?)

I can't remember more, I only know I saw that all at night on viva. lol

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-