Main Menu

"Mawey yätsmukan" ?

Started by Beduino, December 29, 2009, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oerdescu

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 13, 2010, 02:16:27 PM
Quote from: Oerdescu on January 13, 2010, 01:58:12 PM
Kaltxi for everyone

I was thinking about Ney'tiri's sentence. In my opinion she says; Maweya tsmukan. For me it means; I had to kill you, but after your death you already part of the silence, calmness. One of the most wonderful moment in the movie.

I would agree that this could also be a meaning. So many unknowns!... FROMMER! Little help please?

...or I just cannot express myself in English!  ;D

Taronyu

Another possibility:

Mawey at tsmukan
mawey a-t tsmuk-an.
calm-IMP that-ACC brother

Be calm (imperative) about that, brother.

Sort of like in English: Calm it down.

Since word-final stops are unreleased, and we don't know how double consonants separated by a word boundary could be realized, this might be an idiomatic expression indicating a direct object, which would roughly transliterate to the state of the nantang's life.

tìngay mungeyu

Kaltxí!

According to this http://www.foxscreenings.com/media/pdf/JamesCameronAVATAR.pdf Ney'tiri says "Forgive me, my brother. Forgive me. May your spirit run with the Great Mother."

I've seen the movie 3 times and I love it. I belive that there's a planet/moon like Pandora somewhere, maybe not so far away from Earth.  :)

Of course, I agree that the rough translation is "calm it down" or something like that.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Taronyu on January 14, 2010, 04:08:34 AM
Another possibility:

Mawey at tsmukan
mawey a-t tsmuk-an.

Since word-final stops are unreleased, and we don't know how double consonants separated by a word boundary could be realized, this might be an idiomatic expression indicating a direct object, which would roughly transliterate to the state of the nantang's life.

This seems to make the most sense of all of the rough translations we've had so far.

'Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Taronyu on January 14, 2010, 04:08:34 AM
Another possibility:

Mawey at tsmukan
mawey a-t tsmuk-an.

Thats what it sounds like to me, and makes the most sense to me as the Nantang is yelping loudly. I think it's more of a comforting 'Calm it down' though, not something you would scream at young children.
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

omängum fra'uti

How about...
ma oeyä tsmukan?

As in...
oeru txoa livu ma oeyä tsmukan?
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Doolio

interesting and intelligent observation there, omangum:)

personally i'll go with maweya tsmukan until we get clarification, as it seems plausible to me (something like "be a calm brother" with the verb dropped). also in mu native language (serbian) this construct is possible. as i mentioned before, it is possible in english too (good doggie for example). of course, i am aware that i could be strongly affected by "deductive inertia" caused by my own linguistic heritage, but, if nothing, it's another opinion:)
...taj rad...

omängum fra'uti

I can't take credit for that observation, but I think it makes a lot more sense to be honest.  "Forgive me my brother" vs "Forgive me calm brother".

Maweya
Maoeyä

The only difference between the two is the w/o (Which are pretty close, the w just closes more than the o) and the a at the end (Which the actors didn't seem to be the best at differentiating a vs ä).

suomichris

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 25, 2010, 01:03:55 AM
I can't take credit for that observation, but I think it makes a lot more sense to be honest.  "Forgive me my brother" vs "Forgive me calm brother".

Maweya
Maoeyä

The only difference between the two is the w/o (Which are pretty close, the w just closes more than the o) and the a at the end (Which the actors didn't seem to be the best at differentiating a vs ä).
Nìmun molunge ngat aylì'u oeyä!!!!!!! :p

omängum fra'uti

Fayu sìltsan aylì'u lu!  Ulte kawkrr oel poley a lu oeyä aylì'u.

Doolio

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 25, 2010, 01:03:55 AM
I can't take credit for that observation, but I think it makes a lot more sense to be honest.  "Forgive me my brother" vs "Forgive me calm brother".

Maweya
Maoeyä

you do have valid points there, but i am not convinced personally, so i'll be cautious until frommerisation:)
as for "forgive me my brother" vs "forgive me, a calm brother", i always saw this as two separate phrases. one is "forgive me", then the pause, then she says "calm brother, calm brother" (vocative is not there as it wouldn't be if you were saying "nice horse, nice horse" whille patting it on the forehead or "that's a good baby"), basically i think that this could be that kind of idiom. you are not directly addressing nantang with 'brother', you are just dropping "that is" or "be" in front of "calm brother" (calm in this case is an adjective, hence the -a, maweya).

this is how i (still) see it:)

as for pronounciation, it sounds very much "maweya" to me, lipsync included:) in addition, i find zoe to be pretty good pronouncer...

i still think that your example is very logical and that this could go either way.
...taj rad...

Rim tsamsiyu

seeing as calm is pretty similar to 'peace' as in 'peace and quiet'

couldn't she just be saying "peace my brother" in order to ease its suffering before euthanasing it?
as for the "ma" addressing people.. considering the kinship the people feel with nature... is it really that suprising that she would address the nantang as such?

suomichris

Quote from: Doolio on January 25, 2010, 05:32:43 AM
as for pronounciation, it sounds very much "maweya" to me, lipsync included:) in addition, i find zoe to be pretty good pronouncer...
Which is pretty damn nearly what "ma oeyä" sounds like.  She's saying, "Forgive me, my brother," and not "For me, peaceful brother," which, in Na'vi, would actually not make any sense without the "ma" vocative particle in front of it.

kewnya txamew'itan

listening to Frommer's audio for the ma sempul response, oeyä does seem to be pronounced almost exactly as weyä in which case the two would be almost indistinguishable.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Oe Lu Toruk Makto

One of Saturn's moons is named Pandora
Toruk Makto is king of the Ikran riders

Rikxyu

After listening to it a few times, I thought it was "ma oeyä tsmukan", too. I'll bet that "oeyä" and "weyä" are spelled differently just so we can see the "oe" in "oeyä" and know that it is involving first person perspective.
The All Things Avatar Podcast has an episode 3 now! Download it here: http://radioavatar.podomatic.com/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln
Just look at what happened to Quaritch...