Main Menu

"Mawey yätsmukan" ?

Started by Beduino, December 29, 2009, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beduino

pay attention at this audio file.

I heard it at home and sounded the same in the cinema yesterday.

In the second part of the audio, doesn't it looks like Neytiri says "Mawey ya-tsmukan, mawey ya-tsmukan" or sorta?

I was wondering if it would not be the genitive sufix "yä" used as a prefix. Maybe because she is using the male gender sufix, the genitive worked as a prefix.  :-X

Any considerations?
tsun ngal tslam fì'uti srak?

HawkPidgeon

I'm guessing "Maweya tsmukan."
Fìtsenge lu Eywayä kelku, sì fìtsenge lor lu. | Oel oeti kameie fa ngeyä menari.

Beduino

tsun ngal tslam fì'uti srak?

Txen Seri Unil

Kaltxi!

Thanks for posting this, because I had the same question! I am thinking that "Maweya tsmukan" which makes perfect because it would mean "calm my brother", right?

I am curious what Neytiri says to the other nantang that died, the one that she says more to. She starts with "Maweya tsmukan" and then goes on to say more. I'll need to listen to it more to see if I can pick out the sounds. I'll post in another thread though, don't want to hijack this one. :)

Eywa ngahu,
Raw

Old name: Rawveggie. Upgraded to Na'vi name.

Txen Seri Unil = Awake + Make (present continuing tense) + Dream = Waking Dream

"The words are like stones in my heart." -Jake Sully
(Aylì'u lu na tskxe mì oeyä txe'lan. - Na'vi translation from script)

kewnya txamew'itan

Mawey-yä tsmukan would mean calm's brother not calm my brother.

Calm my brother (assuming an implied you) would be tsmukanti ngal si mawey.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Txen Seri Unil

Well, as mentioned in another thread (can't remember which one right now but I'll try to find it) that could be the same thing. As pointed out in that thread by one of the poster's, in English you can say "good dogie" to a dog to calm it down when you are really saying "you are a good dog". Not the best example but the point is you can have meaning in a phrase thought matching that word for word.

I could be wrong. :) To me "calm my brother" seems to fit.

Eywa ngahu,
Raw

Old name: Rawveggie. Upgraded to Na'vi name.

Txen Seri Unil = Awake + Make (present continuing tense) + Dream = Waking Dream

"The words are like stones in my heart." -Jake Sully
(Aylì'u lu na tskxe mì oeyä txe'lan. - Na'vi translation from script)

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

However it would not be with -yä, the genitive. If we are trying to say "Calm my brother" it would be:

Maweya tsmukan
Calm-ADJ sibling-MASC
Calm my brother ("my" could be implied or idiomatic)

Calm needed an adjective suffix, -a.
^^ this is following Rawveggie's idea for translation, which seems correct.
"And that's how you scatter the roaches."- Col. Miles Quaritch.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Srereu Aynantanghu

exactly, it's just saying "calm brother" in the same way you would say good boy

Tirea Pa'li

I can hear "Mawey matsmukan" but i`am not so good as you guys.

I would love to know what she sais after. I only know the last word - tireya
From all the weapons you have used against us, we always feared your guns least!

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

^^ It was probably "Mawey ma smukan", using the vocative form of adress.
"And that's how you scatter the roaches."- Col. Miles Quaritch.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Taronyu

If it's not Mawey ma tsumkan, it might very well sound like maweya due to anatomical constraints. Consider that the [j] is a very high back sound, and when there is a break, it might happen that the tongue is dropped down before being brought up into the palato-alveolar position to form [ts]. This would cause an [a] sound, if it happened that the voicing is continued past the final [j]. Also, the mouth would be opened further, perhaps, to account for an exhale. If, at any point, the [j] is not fully realised, it would happen that an [a] might appear, essentially, due to the hydrostatic nature of the tongue.

Kiliyä

I concur.  It's 'mawey ma tsmukan', with the m- eclipsed by where the sounds are made.
Peu sa'nokyä ayoengyä?  Pefya ayoeng poeru kìte'e sayi?
Pefya ayoengìl poeti hayawnu, na poel ayoengit hawnu?

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

Maxotorian

kaltxi

Maybe it was&

Ma oe-ya aytsmukan
Пускай в душе каждого вырастет дух Нави))
my skype is  grafgoblin- call ever you want and will learn Navi together.

Ftiafpi

QuoteI concur.  It's 'mawey ma tsmukan', with the m- eclipsed by where the sounds are made.

Doubtful since ma is only used in addressing a person, so that would translate to addressing oneself (weird). Also, by linition it wouldn't be aytsmukan it would be aysmukan or you could also drop the ay and just do smukan.

It could make sense as oe-ya ma smukan but that doesn't sound like what was in the movie.

Tirea Pa'li

I've seen it a few times and i`am sure now she is saying "Maweya tsmukan".

MOD: Our members don't pirate movies, even for educational purposes, right? Good, that's what I thought.
From all the weapons you have used against us, we always feared your guns least!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Tirea Pa'li on January 12, 2010, 04:18:09 PM
I've seen it a few times and i`am sure now she is saying "Maweya tsmukan".

MOD: Our members don't pirate movies, even for educational purposes, right? Good, that's what I thought.

This makes sense for her to me using the -a affix to mark what the adjective is modifying.

Taronyu

Why the red? I've seen the film five times, legally. I don't know why it be assumed that it's pirated.

I think this may be a case towards the idea that verbs and adjectives are similar in Na'vi. I've suspected this for a while, based on the way some of the infixes work.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Taronyu on January 12, 2010, 04:46:31 PM
Why the red? I've seen the film five times, legally. I don't know why it be assumed that it's pirated.

I think this may be a case towards the idea that verbs and adjectives are similar in Na'vi. I've suspected this for a while, based on the way some of the infixes work.

I edited it out what he said and replaced it with the red stuff. Apparently I hid what he said too well...

I've also suspected that verbs and adjectives are similar or at least that some adjectives can be used as verbs (and vise versa).

Oerdescu

Kaltxi for everyone

I was thinking about Ney'tiri's sentence. In my opinion she says; Maweya tsmukan. For me it means; I had to kill you, but after your death you already part of the silence, calmness. One of the most wonderful moment in the movie.

I love this movie, 'cause I love the nature. I'am a mountainer, I trekk alone in my country many times. Na'vi life also similar to that. They live with the nature in perfect symbiosis. It is an enviable life.

I would like to belive, it is not a sci-fi movie, it is a documentary film.  :)

Best regards;
Daniel

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Oerdescu on January 13, 2010, 01:58:12 PM
Kaltxi for everyone

I was thinking about Ney'tiri's sentence. In my opinion she says; Maweya tsmukan. For me it means; I had to kill you, but after your death you already part of the silence, calmness. One of the most wonderful moment in the movie.

I would agree that this could also be a meaning. So many unknowns!... FROMMER! Little help please?