Is this right

Started by Txur Txe’lan, January 22, 2010, 05:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur Txe’lan

i want to make sure im saying my name right. could someone check

http://www.talknavi.com/audio/69/txur-txelan

irayo

wm.annis

It sounds like you are still articulating the t-part of the ejectives with your glottis open.  There's a distinct, airy break between the t-part and the glottis release that shouldn't be there, I'm afraid.

Ftiafpi

Yeah, I hear it as well. The edjective should "eject" more. I can't really put into words how to do it so would you like a recorded example?

Txur Txe’lan

yes, that would help. i think i understand what you mean.

Ftiafpi

Attached

suomichris

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 22, 2010, 07:19:16 PM
Attached
Nice ejectives!

(Off-topic: I was once driving back from a conference with some other grad students, and made them practice ejectives for like an hour.)

Ftiafpi

Quote from: suomichris on January 22, 2010, 07:42:12 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 22, 2010, 07:19:16 PM
Attached
Nice ejectives!

(Off-topic: I was once driving back from a conference with some other grad students, and made them practice ejectives for like an hour.)

Thanks!

lol, I suppose people should be glad they don't carpool with me, I'd make them listen to Na'vi for my hour commute. XD </off-topic>

wm.annis

Quote from: suomichris on January 22, 2010, 07:42:12 PMNice ejectives!

Yes, very ejecty!

Note that the stress accent for txe'lan should be final, though.

Txur Txe’lan

irayo

i cant say it exactly as you do, but apparently your really good at it. i just need to practice.

suomichris

Ma Txur, re: your signature...

You have a funny character in there; the flapped /r/ should be the same height as the /u/, and not tall like the capital /t/.  It might be intentional for style/composition/whatever, but thought you might like to know in case it was just a mistake.

The correct character is: ɾ

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Txur Txe'lan on January 22, 2010, 07:57:20 PM
irayo

i cant say it exactly as you do, but apparently your really good at it. i just need to practice.

Well hear how my edjectives "pop" and yours kind of show up in the middle of the "te" sound? Practice forcing air into your mouth and form the "tx" sound but close off your glottis (vocal chords). Really push hard with your lungs and then suddenly release your glottis and say the edjective as loud as you can (make sure you take a deep breath between each try). Keep doing that until you have a nice crisp edjective, then try using it in words (again, over-emphasize the edjective). Eventually it will become second nature (I've started edjecting English k's a lot :D) and you can tone down the edjective.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: suomichris on January 22, 2010, 08:05:16 PM
Ma Txur, re: your signature...

You have a funny character in there; the flapped /r/ should be the same height as the /u/, and not tall like the capital /t/.  It might be intentional for style/composition/whatever, but thought you might like to know in case it was just a mistake.

The correct character is: ɾ

uh-oh, he didn't make it so I doubt he has the .psd file...

Txur Txe’lan

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 22, 2010, 08:08:29 PM
Quote from: Txur Txe'lan on January 22, 2010, 07:57:20 PM
irayo

Well hear how my edjectives "pop" and yours kind of show up in the middle of the "te" sound? Practice forcing air into your mouth and form the "tx" sound but close off your glottis (vocal chords). Really push hard with your lungs and then suddenly release your glottis and say the edjective as loud as you can (make sure you take a deep breath between each try). Keep doing that until you have a nice crisp edjective, then try using it in words (again, over-emphasize the edjective). Eventually it will become second nature (I've started edjecting English k's a lot :D) and you can tone down the edjective.
practice is all i need. with this strategy you gave me it shouldn't take to long. i also left a message to Tirolite about the sig. i dont mind too much that its the wrong size, but at the same time i would rather it be grammatically correct. hopefully he can fix it.