Main Menu

Listening to Learn

Started by Batureang 🦈, September 14, 2018, 03:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batureang 🦈

I have been reading a few different articles on ways that people learn languages.  I have been around the block a few times and I've never stuck with it because I get so overwhelmed and lost with all the grammar and rules.  SO I thought this time, perhaps I would try to simplify things and learn a different way.  I read this article on how infants learn languages and how to emulate those key points into adult language learning.  The first step is to just sit and listen and immerse yourself fully into the sounds and audio of the language.  But I know that audio is something our community is lacking in.  And for a language that doesn't canonically have a written form, I find that so odd.

So, I would like to ask those that are fluent or at least to a speaking nìNa'vi nì'aw point, would you record your conversations?  Even if they are short, or long, I want to be able to just compile an immersive set of audio files.  Whether it is you talking to yourself, or teamspeak and discord and skype interactions.  Any of the classes would be great too.  I just want all audio files with no other languages that I can find.

Tirea Aean

Have you seen the Audio Chat Thread? it's stickied here at /audio :)

https://forum.learnnavi.org/audio/pivangkxo-ninavi-fa-mokri-ko!-navi-audio-chat-thread/

We should revive that thread :)
Otherwise, Na'vi spoken convos happen from time to time in our Discord Chat (although they are not usually recorded)

Batureang 🦈

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 14, 2018, 03:57:12 PM
Have you seen the Audio Chat Thread? it's stickied here at /audio :)

https://forum.learnnavi.org/audio/pivangkxo-ninavi-fa-mokri-ko!-navi-audio-chat-thread/

We should revive that thread :)
Otherwise, Na'vi spoken convos happen from time to time in our Discord Chat (although they are not usually recorded)
I have seen that and I've downloaded a bunch of them to combine already.  But it hasn't been posted in in a while and its mostly just two or three speakers.  I would love to hear full conversations with multiple people.  It also is recorded one at a time rather than like...'live' so the conversations don't flow super naturally in terms of between speakers.  So if there are any audio recordings of actual back and forth dialogue that would be  ;D

Tirea Aean

I would like to see this too. But unfortunately, there are really even still not that many people active compared to in our early days you and I remember. and of those active people between here and the Discord and elsewhere, there is a small percentage of them that are actually interseted in the language. And of that percentage, there is only a fraction of that who have the skill/proficiency to have such conversations, and of those people, none or very few of them chat with each other out loud and if they do, it's a rare occasion. Possibly due to schedules, time zones, and other factors.

hmmm.

I love this idea and want to see it happen! I need to find my time machine so that there is enough time in the day for me to contribute sufficiently @_@

well. There's this that I can contribute to your compilation if you don't already have it: https://tireaaean.blogspot.com/2017/02/upxare-lemokri.html