My Na'vi speaking - Video Updated now has actual video!

Started by Tsamsiyu Atsteu, December 13, 2010, 08:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

here we go!

Something more than a couple words this time.

I tried to say:

Kaltxi ma frapo.
Oel ngati kameie.
Ma eylan, ngari fra'u oeru lam.
Irayo fpi oe yawne leru ulte nga
oeru yawne lu.
pom ulte tÏtxur ngahu tsengpe nga kä.
keivame, ulte eywa ngahu ma eylan.

I'm shy so I wasn't so loud lol

Please tell me how badly I butchered Na'vi and how I can get better :)
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Txur’Itan

Probably need it up on Youtube for those who refuse to Facebook.
私は太った男だ。

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

I agree, cause all people who are not in your Facebook friends won't be able to watch them otherwise. :)

Ftiafpi

Yeah, I have facebook but this is what I get: This video either has been removed from Facebook or is not visible due to privacy settings.

There should be a link at the bottom of your video page that can give us a direct access link to the video that doesn't require us all to be your friends on Facebook.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

(Sorry for the kind of necroposting, but I think I'd be nice to get that topic up, since no one has really answered it yet :))

Well, I'm not an expert, but according to what I know and what I've learnt from comments about my own pronunciation, here are the mistakes that I would see. Just be aware that my comments are maybe not all perfectly accurate (hopefully some knowing guys will correct or complete what I said). :)

· You have to roll the 'r'. I know it's not easy for everyone, but all Na'vi 'r's are this way, plus it's essential that you know the technique since it's going to allow you making a beautiful 'rr'.
· In kaltxì, 'tx' (just like 'px' and 'kx') has to be ejected, which means that we have to hear a 'pop' when you do it. However, you got that sound well in tìtxur.
· Maybe you should speak all syllables more clearly. :) For example in oel (in this case, it should sound like 'wel' I think) and ngati.
· In fra'u, the ' is called a glottal stop. Like the name says it, you really have to block any sound, and normally we should be able to hear it. I personally find it's the most difficult pronunciation element of the language, but it's important!
· You pronounced fpi kind of like 'fe-pi', but there is no 'e' in there. :)
· Ulte should sound like 'ulté' (with the French accent aigu) instead of 'ulti'.
· In tìtxur, we don't hear your 'ì' and the 'u' should be pronounced like in 'you'.
· The 'ts' in tsengpe should be clearly said (now I can only hear an 's'), and same with nga kä.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I've also had a lot of improvements to do on my own pronunciation - just remember that it's a necessary step to perfection. In any case, it's very nice that you've made the attempt. :D

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 05, 2011, 07:34:08 AM
(Sorry for the kind of necroposting, but I think I'd be nice to get that topic up, since no one has really answered it yet :))

Well, I'm not an expert, but according to what I know and what I've learnt from comments about my own pronunciation, here are the mistakes that I would see. Just be aware that my comments are maybe not all perfectly accurate (hopefully some knowing guys will correct or complete what I said). :)

Everyone is learning, but it would be good for you to see the Omängum Fra'uti pronunciations, he is pretty nearly perfect, especially particular about distinctions between the sounds and accenting.

· You have to roll the 'r'. I know it's not easy for everyone, but all Na'vi 'r's are this way, plus it's essential that you know the technique since it's going to allow you making a beautiful 'rr'.

Unfortunately this well meaning advice is not entirely correct, r and rr are completely separate sounds, with r being a flapped r like the Japanese r, and rr being trilled like the Spanish trilled rr.

· Maybe you should speak all syllables more clearly. :) For example in oel (in this case, it should sound like 'wel' I think) and ngati.

O.el Each vowel sound is the nucleus of the syllable and should be the breaking point when you have multiple vowels without onsets and codas. oe is not a diphthong AFAIK, I believe we should think of it as a two syllable word O.E .

http://forum.learnnavi.org/pronunciation-phonetics/

私は太った男だ。

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Thank you very much for the corrections and advices, ma Txur'Itan :)

Concerning the pronunciation of oel, I think I understand what you mean (despite not knowing the meaning of all the technical terms you've mentioned). Just so you know, I had noted 'wel' as a pronunciation hint because of the following passage in NiaN:

QuoteWhen oe is by itself or at the end of a word (e.g. moe), each vowel is pronounced individually; when it has an ending (oeyä, oel, oeti, oeru) or occurs in the middle of a word the vowels are pronounced as "we" in wept, went or wed. [...] So oe has two syllables, oel has one syllable.

It does approve what you've said about oe being made of two syllables, but what about oel? I'm curious. :)

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 05, 2011, 02:53:45 PM

Concerning the pronunciation of oel, I think I understand what you mean (despite not knowing the meaning of all the technical terms you've mentioned). Just so you know, I had noted 'wel' as a pronunciation hint because of the following passage in NiaN:

QuoteWhen oe is by itself or at the end of a word (e.g. moe), each vowel is pronounced individually; when it has an ending (oeyä, oel, oeti, oeru) or occurs in the middle of a word the vowels are pronounced as "we" in wept, went or wed. [...] So oe has two syllables, oel has one syllable.

It does approve what you've said about oe being made of two syllables, but what about oel? I'm curious. :)

I am uncertain where this is coming from, the rules and corpus as they exist so far, I have not seen clear citations for that pronunciation example, but colloquially, it has occurred frequently on these forums.  That said, it is the best approximation of KP speaking I have seen given for English speakers to use wel as a guide.

Listen to Paul Frommer speaking Na'vi - http://masempul.org/upxare-niinglisi/

Paul Frommer verbally speaks the Word Oel so quickly that it can sound like a diphthong, but I think that is still separated. 
私は太った男だ。

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Txur'Itan on January 05, 2011, 04:29:01 PM
Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 05, 2011, 02:53:45 PM

I am uncertain where this is coming from, the rules and corpus as they exist so far, I have not seen clear citations for that pronunciation example, but colloquially, it has occurred frequently on these forums.  That said, it is the best approximation of KP speaking I have seen given for English speakers to use wel as a guide.

Listen to Paul Frommer speaking Na'vi - http://masempul.org/upxare-niinglisi/

Paul Frommer verbally speaks the Word Oel so quickly that it can sound like a diphthong, but I think that is still separated. 

Very interesting! Irayo nìtxan :D

'Oma Tirea

For oel I say [o̯ɛl] instead of [wɛl], and [o.ɛl] is possible as well.  It's really something between [o.ɛl] and [o̯ɛl] for me.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on January 05, 2011, 11:58:54 PM
For oel I say [o̯ɛl] instead of [wɛl], and [o.ɛl] is possible as well.  It's really something between [o.ɛl] and [o̯ɛl] for me.

hmmm, it would be interesting to ask karyu Pawl about these three forms. From my understanding [o̯ɛl] is preferred/common, [o.ɛl] is the most precise, and [wɛl] is probably common in rapid speech but not technically correct.

Lance R. Casey

// Lance R. Casey

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on January 07, 2011, 04:26:46 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 07, 2011, 02:27:20 PM
hmmm, it would be interesting to ask karyu Pawl about these three forms.
You already did, sort of ;)
Yeah, but emphasis on the "sort of". We still don't know the exact proper pronunciation of "weh" (to quote karyu Pawl).

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

irayo ma frapo. I told you I'm bad at speaking it :P I have a lot to learn.
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Tsamsiyu Atsteu on January 17, 2011, 12:22:33 PM
irayo ma frapo. I told you I'm bad at speaking it :P I have a lot to learn.

No one said you were bad! :o Yo do have things to learn, but who doesn't? :) I also got a lot of improvement comments about my pronunciation, and I believe it'd be the same for any Na'vi learner who's not an expert. Keep up the effort! ;)

Ftiafpi

If anyone can say they don't have anything to work on with learning a language then they're lying.