Peer reviewed pronounced word list

Started by omängum fra'uti, February 28, 2010, 07:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omängum fra'uti

I've mentioned it in a few other threads, but I've been looking for a good list of what words people have recorded pronunciation for.  What I've found is that there's a list of what words exist, but not what words are needed.

And on top of that, many words are pronounced wrong.

So to solve both issues, I have set up google docs with a spreadsheet of all known attested Na'vi words, with a place to include the URL of an audio sample, who the speaker is, and three other people to sign off as a reviewer.

Speakers and reviewers wanted!
Anyone who has recorded individual Na'vi words is welcome to become a speaker, as long as there is an MP3 file which can be linked to directly for ease of playback and review.  All I ask is that if you re-record the file, you do not REPLACE the existing file at the same location if at all possible.  I would rather not have recordings change without the review information changing as well.

Similarly I am looking for anyone who feels they have a good grasp on how Na'vi should sound and can pay attention to the vowel sounds, consonant sounds (Including properly unreleased and unaspirated pronunciation), and syllable stress.  The whole point of this is not just to track words, but to track correct pronunciation as well.

You can find the google docs spreadsheet at:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsQZVhZx_Z17dEVVTE5VTVlLQkVIeVNQRXJOUldoTXc&hl=en
Since the links there are just URLs, and following it either opens an embedded browser or download prompt, I have also created an external webpage based on the data from Google Docs, updated roughly every 5 minutes.  It includes an embedded player for directly listening to any clips.
http://www.tyger.org/~tiger/navi/wordlist.php

Edit: Moved this to the audio forum since that seems to be where people go as far as recorded/spoken words.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

omängum fra'uti

At this point, I have all the words from myself, Ftiafpi and Utrayä Mokri added.  Still looking for people to review and of course record new/corrected words.  I know there are a LOT of mispronunciations in there currently.

'eylan na'viyä

as for recording there is a handy tool wich allows you to record directly from your browser and get the link to the audiofile. unfortenuately it produces wav-files and i dont know if tyger.com can play them. the service is http://vocaroo.com/

omängum fra'uti

Still looking for contributors here, particularly in the rating the quality of pronunciation.

At this point I've gone through and reviewed a lot of the recordings from other people myself.  Still a lot of gaps and a lot of pronunciations that need correcting.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 16, 2010, 11:23:06 PM
Still looking for contributors here, particularly in the rating the quality of pronunciation.

At this point I've gone through and reviewed a lot of the recordings from other people myself.  Still a lot of gaps and a lot of pronunciations that need correcting.

Yeah, sorry, been so busy lately that I haven't had any time for pronunciation. I haven't forgotten about this though and I do hope to soon get both of our wordlists combined and all reviewed and everything.

omängum fra'uti

Well I've now finished recording the unrecorded words.  Now all that's left is reviewing and fixing incorrect pronunciations.

Given the nature of it, my goal is perfection, the golden standard of pronunciation.  So even something that's mostly right, IMO, should be fixed.

Esmond

Ah, I came in too late. Maybe next time.

Help preserve Nature.

omängum fra'uti

Too late for what?  This is an ongoing project, not something that really has an "end".

Esmond

But you said you finished the recordings?

Help preserve Nature.

omängum fra'uti

I finished recording unrecorded words.  But there are still tons of words that need to be re-recorded because they are incorrect.  This is supposed to be peer reviewed so as to get CORRECT pronunciations, not just to get recordings.

Esmond

Oh...alright. Well, can I be of any help then? :)

Help preserve Nature.

omängum fra'uti

Of course!  If you think you can pronounce words correctly (And be prepared to be judged harshly on little details - I even reject my own recordings if I'm not happy with them) any help is welcome.

HTML_Earth

So if I wanted to record some words for the list, should I post them in this thread, or just make a new one?

Talis

I would be "prepared to be judged harshly on little details", so if you want me to record some words, please tell me which words or in which way I should record them.
I'm from Germany so my pronunciation might be different from those who speak English as their first language.

omängum fra'uti

Any word which doesn't have a recording or correct recording is a prime candidate.  You can see all the recordings here - any words which are red marked with no yellow or green marked pair means none of the recorded pronunciations are deemed good.  You can also see words missing recordings completely here.  (Note that the link for words with no correct pronunciation doesn't quite work as advertised...  It really just shows words incorrectly pronounced, even if they are also correctly pronounced.)

Talis

Where should I transfer the files to when I record some?

HTML_Earth

Quote from: Talis on March 29, 2010, 07:43:07 AM
Where should I transfer the files to when I record some?

I also want to know this.

Ftiafpi

Okay, finally getting some time to get to this. I'll review all the words as I get time for it and then I'll work on updating/adding anything that needs to be.

Mithcoriel

Wow, this is a great project. This is gonna be so useful.
So, how many words have you guys actually recorded yet, roughly? It's hard to tell. The list contains all the words, even those no one recorded, right?
(I tried doing a line count to see how many you already had, but it came out like 6000, probably cause of all the duplicates)
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Ftiafpi on April 12, 2010, 10:27:52 AM
Okay, finally getting some time to get to this. I'll review all the words as I get time for it and then I'll work on updating/adding anything that needs to be.

GAH! Reminding myself to stop taking on commitments so that I can get to this! WIYA!