Recording of Vurä Raluä

Started by Blue Elf, March 04, 2012, 11:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

I've written first part of my story about Ralu (read text here) and Plumps asked me if I intend to create audio. It appears good idea to me, so I tried - you can listen.
[smg id=4168 type=av]
It is not perfect work - I tried to create audio record first time I found it quite difficult, so you can hear some slip and longer pauses, also headphone microphone is not perfect. Sorry.
Opinions and corrections of the speech are welcome.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Plumps

Txantsan nì'aw, ma tsmukan!

Irayo for making this... It's really great to hear a longer text/story nìNa'vi. It just flows :D

Admitted, the quality is a bit bumpy but I think that can be worked with. I know somebody who could 'clean' that up a bit if you'd like that :)

Concerning pronunciation, I only noticed that the at the end of a word (oeyä, sneyä, fäkä etc.) often sounds like a or some related sound. Otherwise, I think it's very good!

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Alyara Arati

Nìngay kosman ma Blue Elf! :)  Lì'upam ngeyä lu sìltsan nìtxan to pum oeyä, hufwa ke lu ngäzìk tsaw. ;D  Kop sunu oeru mokri ngeyä. :D
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

Quote from: Plumps on March 04, 2012, 01:46:41 PM
Txantsan nì'aw, ma tsmukan!

Irayo for making this... It's really great to hear a longer text/story nìNa'vi. It just flows :D

Admitted, the quality is a bit bumpy but I think that can be worked with. I know somebody who could 'clean' that up a bit if you'd like that :)

Concerning pronunciation, I only noticed that the at the end of a word (oeyä, sneyä, fäkä etc.) often sounds like a or some related sound. Otherwise, I think it's very good!

thank for comments to all. Ma Plumps, if you can arrange cleaning up of the audio, definitely do that! I can provide recording in RAW format - it is probably better source for editing. Let me know how to send it to you (I can put it somewhere to web for download, for example).

'Oma Tirea

"Ralu" sounds like "Rau" in the beginning (could just be your mic though)

Also, as Plumps said, only your Äs need work.  I understand your native language doesn't have this consonant, ha etrìpa syayvi.  Mi kosman, plltxe nga nìltsan ma 'eylan :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Blue Elf

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on March 11, 2012, 11:40:50 PM
"Ralu" sounds like "Rau" in the beginning (could just be your mic though)

Also, as Plumps said, only your Äs need work.  I understand your native language doesn't have this consonant, ha etrìpa syayvi.  Mi kosman, plltxe nga nìltsan ma 'eylan :)
Thank you for your comment, it is good to hear such evaluation.
Tse, how ä would be pronounced correctly? I did some researches, but TBH I'm confused....
Here they say, that Czech /a/ is actually "ä" (open central unrounded vowel).
However Czech version of that page say that /a/ is open front unrounded vowel - but it is pronounced as central vowel. Hmmm.
Seems that IPA has no special symbol for central open unrounded vowel, but "ä" is used for this distinction.
IPA vowel chart with audio doesn't have audio for "ä", so I have no idea how to create that sound. What I say instead of "ä" is probably "æ" - mouth opened as for "a", but say "ɛ".

If I hear how Plumps say "ä" in his "Riti sì Fwäkì" story, it sounds to me very near to "e". [/confused even more]

Eana Unil

Txantsan, seysonìltsan, ma Blue Elf :) I like it.

I'd say that ä is just pronounced "the german way". Which would be like Plumps did it, according to "Na'vi in a Nutshell" like the a in cat, bad, etc. ;)
IPAs ɛ comes quite close to it.

Alyara Arati

"ä" is a little like "e".  I notice that when I say "e" and then open my mouth really wide, it goes towards "ä".  This is probably of no help, but it seems to work for me. :-\
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Yawne Zize’ite

I'm pretty sure Na'vi <ä> is IPA [æ], which is a common vowel in American English; it's the "short a" of "cat," "had," "match," etc. It's distinct from IPA [ɛ] (Na'vi <e>), which is the vowel of "head," "met," etc. I experimented with my mouth a bit, and the easiest way I found to get to an [æ] was to start from [ɛ] - Wikipedia says it's the Czech <e> - then lower my tongue and open my mouth. Keep the sound at the front of the mouth; don't turn it into [a]. It doesn't sound much like IPA [ä]; it sounds more like an [ɛ] with some a-coloring. [æ] is below [ɛ] as [ɛ] is below . Don't start from [ä] (Czech <a>); it's hard to get a good [æ] that way.

I hope that helps. It's an unfortunate coincidence that the IPA symbol [ä] ([a] with a "centered" diacritic) coincides with Na'vi <ä> (which derives from a medieval a-e ligature with the e written above the a, which formerly represented the sound [æ] in German and Swedish and currently does in Finnish).

Blue Elf

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on March 16, 2012, 05:30:19 PM
I'm pretty sure Na'vi <ä> is IPA [æ], which is a common vowel in American English; it's the "short a" of "cat," "had," "match," etc. It's distinct from IPA [ɛ] (Na'vi <e>), which is the vowel of "head," "met," etc. I experimented with my mouth a bit, and the easiest way I found to get to an [æ] was to start from [ɛ] - Wikipedia says it's the Czech <e> - then lower my tongue and open my mouth. Keep the sound at the front of the mouth; don't turn it into [a]. It doesn't sound much like IPA [ä]; it sounds more like an [ɛ] with some a-coloring. [æ] is below [ɛ] as [ɛ] is below . Don't start from [ä] (Czech <a>); it's hard to get a good [æ] that way.

I hope that helps. It's an unfortunate coincidence that the IPA symbol [ä] ([a] with a "centered" diacritic) coincides with Na'vi <ä> (which derives from a medieval a-e ligature with the e written above the a, which formerly represented the sound [æ] in German and Swedish and currently does in Finnish).
Oh thank you very much, I understand now. I mismatches written "ä" with spoken "ä". The sound is really [æ], as horen leN'avi says, so it is really something between [a] and [ɛ]. I should not try to think too late in the night. Karma for you!