Main Menu

Spoken Na'vi Words

Started by Ftiafpi, January 06, 2010, 08:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dotster

Yeah that's what I was saying. They don't sound "flapped" either, they just sound like the way us good old Americans would say our R's.

And actually, just a little fun fact, even single R's said in the movie seemed to be trilled quite thoroughly, especially by Mo'at. Gah, gives me chills listening to that woman speak!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: dotster on January 14, 2010, 11:28:05 PM
a lot of words ending in "e" sound more like a mixture of "e" + "ä", sounds like an accent slipping through ^_^
Probably, I know I'm still working on my Na'vi accent. It's getting better quickly but obviously I'm not going to redo all the words every time I get a little better at Na'vi. That said, I will go through and look at the 'e' sounds and make sure they're correct.
na'rìng - emphasis on wrong syllable
Really? Sounds fine to me, could you explain.

kinamtil - emphasis should be on the second syllable not the first
Hmmm, you're right, I'll see about fixing this.

hapxì - sounds like hapxe instead of hapxì
Gah, yeah, I have trouble with that. I'm saying 'ì' but the 'px' makes it into more of a 'i' I'll work on it.

tìkawng - the t and k are exremley soft, almost to the point of sounding like h's
Darn unaspirated t's and k's, I'll check it out.

lahe- emphasis should be put on the first syllable, not spread evenly
Thanks, it will be fixed.

rutxe, mokri, tìrol, sìlronsem - r's are barely rolled if at all (alveolar tap/flap)***
Didn't I just fix rutxe? I know mokri and sìlronsem could use some more work and I'll check out tìrol.

munge - emphasis is on the first syllable, also the pronounciation of "ng" is incorrect (listen to Dr. Frommer's interview where he explains this)
I keep forgetting to fix this word. It will be done.

nìwotx - is being pronounced as if it were spelled with an "i" as opposed to an "ì"
Caught that this morning actually, it will be fixed.

**Also, just a side note: the ejectives that were pronounced in some words are entirely fluid, almost to the point of not being recognizable as ejectives. While getting rid of the pause in between the ejective consonants and the following vowel is correct, I find that when Dr. Frommer speaks, he doesn't do away with it entirely, nor do the actors and actresses in the film; it just seems more like a quick and slightly rough transition. This is all just speculation of course and just something to mull over.
Not exactly sure what you're saying here. Could you give an example of a word that I do this wrong in?

Anyway, thanks for the help, the more people looking these over the better.

Erimeyz

Quote from: dotster on January 15, 2010, 01:06:32 AM
And actually, just a little fun fact, even single R's said in the movie seemed to be trilled quite thoroughly, especially by Mo'at. Gah, gives me chills listening to that woman speak!

One way to look at it is as a difference in accent between "academic" Na'vi and "real-world" Na'vi.  Like Standard Midwest American vs. Boston regional.  In this view: if you want to sound like the Blue Flute Clan, follow the movie's lead; if you want to sound like you learned to speak Na'vi in college (on Earth), follow Frommer's lead.

A different way to look at it: Avatar is a movie, and a rather over-the-top one at that.  Actors enunciate in ways that normal people don't, purely for dramatic effect.  The actors in Avatar were being dramatic in Na'vi, and we normal folk shouldn't try to emulate them (unless we want to be dramatic!).

Frommer worked with the actors to help them find ways to deliver their lines that would convey the emotions called for in the scene while sounding good and being true to the language.  That included choosing stress patterns and rearranging word order (how convenient that Na'vi is flexible, huh?).  A really advanced Na'vi speaker might change their pronunciation and grammar to suit their purpose and audience.  Na'vi street slang? Na'vi rap?

See also:

Klenginem - Official Video - SuvwI'pu' qan tu'lu'be'

- Eri

Ftiafpi

Agreed, I think the best example is Neytiri yelling "kawkrr" and not rolling the /rr/. The obvious reason being that a rolled rr can't be yelled very well but it shows to me that what you're saying is true that, while Frommer has the correct pronunciation, obviously actual pronunciation will change depending on the situation and message that is wanting to be conveyed.

dotster

I was just going by the stress marker that's provided. It identifies the stressed syllable as the first and not the second, and it's clearly being stressed na'ng.

Not exactly sure what you're saying here. Could you give an example of a word that I do this wrong in?

The only words that I noticed this in weren't being spoken by you I don't think. It sounds like someone else.

Example: apxa (no pause)

However when he pronounces other words he pronounces the ejectives differently

Example: pxay

Just something to look out for. I'm not quite sure which is correct. Cheers and great job man! Thanks.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: dotster on January 15, 2010, 04:20:22 PM

I was just going by the stress marker that's provided. It identifies the stressed syllable as the first and not the second, and it's clearly being stressed na'ng.

The only words that I noticed this in weren't being spoken by you I don't think. It sounds like someone else.

Example: apxa (no pause)

However when he pronounces other words he pronounces the ejectives differently

Example: pxay

Just something to look out for. I'm not quite sure which is correct. Cheers and great job man! Thanks.

Gotcha, I see what you mean with both. I'm actually the one doing those words and Steven is the guy doing the other ones. I'll fix it, hopefully tonight.

This is a really great project! Can't wait to have all the words of the Na'vi language (so far) on audio, good luck :)
Irayo!

A. A. Aaron

Ftiafpi- when might we see another batch of words?

Ftiafpi

Quote from: A. A. Aaron on January 18, 2010, 01:12:42 AM

Today/tonight, I'm going to do a huge update to a lot of pronunciations (thanks everyone for the advice) and I'm going to add some more words.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: A. A. Aaron on January 18, 2010, 01:12:42 AM

Gah, got too busy with other stuff. You might find this interesting though: http://forum.learnnavi.org/audio/navi-pronunciation-guides/

Nawma 'eveng

:) Thank you again for making my learning of Na'vi possible. I listen to the audio files almost everyday! You deserve more credit than this... Irayo!

jparachoniak

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 18, 2010, 09:58:26 AM
Today/tonight, I'm going to do a huge update to a lot of pronunciations (thanks everyone for the advice) and I'm going to add some more words.

You are awesome.  The number of debates between friends your spoken words solve not to mention helping the rest of us pick up words. 

Again,
Irayo
mì Soviet Russia, ngal ke nume nìna'viti, ngati nume nìna'vil

Ftiafpi

Quote from: jparachoniak on January 19, 2010, 08:33:53 AM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 18, 2010, 09:58:26 AM

You are awesome.  The number of debates between friends your spoken words solve not to mention helping the rest of us pick up words. 

Again,
Irayo

lol, I'm going to get in trouble then because a few of my pronunciations are slightly off (mostly adding extra glottal stops and not doing the Na'vi /r/). Oh well though, I'm glad I'm helping you guys out so much. I think I'm finally getting a halfway decent Na'vi accent down. I look forward to getting more out there for you guys.

Ftiafpi

Added the remainder of the third batch

* Krrpe
    * Kllkxem
    * Kxawm
    * Mllte
    * Nì'awtu
    * Pelun
    * Rä'ä
    * Taron
    * Toruk
    * Tse'a
    * Yìm
    * Wrrpa

Updated:

* 'Ampi, fixed 'p'
    * Fkeu, fixed 'k'
    * Krr, fixed 'k'
    * Munge, fixed 'ng'
    * Pxay, removed slight glottal stop
    * Rutxe, fixed 'r'
    * Sìlronsem, general pronunciation fix
    * Tìrol, fixed 'r'
    * Tseng, fixed 'ts'
    * Txìng, removed slight glottal stop
    * Eywa, fixed 'ey'
    * Hum, fixed audio quality
    * Ikran, minor pronunciation fix
    * Kewong, minor pronunciation fix
    * Mawey, fixed 'aw'
    * Terkup, fixed 'r'
    * Nguway, fixed 'ng'
    * Kinamtil, change emphasis to 2nd syllable
    * Hapxì, slight change on 'ì'
    * Tìkawng, slight change on 't' and 'k'
    * Lahe, changed emphasis to 1st syllable
    * Nìwotx, fixed 'ì'
    * Aynga, fixed 'ng'

Updated the dialog collection to V3.00

Erimeyz

omängum fra'uti

I haven't gone through them all, but I did notice "kinamtil" was being pronounced "kinamtìl" now.

Where is the stress information for "kinamtil" from anyway?  It seems to me it should match "kinam" which in Taronyu's dictionary has no stress indications.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on February 02, 2010, 04:29:03 AM
I haven't gone through them all, but I did notice "kinamtil" was being pronounced "kinamtìl" now.

Where is the stress information for "kinamtil" from anyway?  It seems to me it should match "kinam" which in Taronyu's dictionary has no stress indications.

Yeah, you're right, that does sound like the 'i' turned into an 'ì', I'll fix that later tonight.

As for the stress info, I was told it should be the 2nd syllable and someone confirmed it so I assumed it was right, no idea where it came from.

P.S. Forgot to post the updates to the dialog here:

Added the fourth batch of words:

* Fì'u
    * Fmi
    * Ftue
    * Fu
    * Kawtu
    * Lì'fya
    * Pehem
    * Pehrr
    * Pesu
    * Peu
    * Peyfa
    * Slu
    * Srung
    * Teya
    * Tìng
    * Tok
    * Tsa'u
    * Tspang
    * Txo
    * Ulte

Updated:

* Kaltxì, fixed 'ì' sounding a little like 'ay'

Updated the dialog collection to V4.00

Ftiafpi

Updates:

* Kinamtil, fixed 'i' sounding like 'ì'
    * Teya, removed extra 'e' sound
    * Hrrap, removed slight 'a' sound
    * Peyfa, fixed spelling/pronunciation to pefya

Updated the dialog collection to V4.10

Meuya

Oel ngati kameie!
Irayo!
Meuya
No matter how many lies we tell, it seems I am still unable to let you go. So please... don't let this feelings be over......I SEE YOU

'Itan Atxur

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE