Main Menu

Spoken Na'vi Words

Started by Ftiafpi, January 06, 2010, 08:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithcoriel

Txan irayo, this stuff is awesome ^^

Question: the apostrophes only mark a kind of "silent consonant", not where the stress of the word is, right? Since otherwise "txe'lan" would have the stress on the second syllable..

Why is it, by the way, that in words like Fikem or ampi, the middle consonants like K and P are pronounced so lightly? (almost like figgem and ambbi)

Wasn't the word for "how" "pefya" though? Cause it was spellt and pronounced peyfa.
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Mithcoriel on February 12, 2010, 08:36:06 AM
Txan irayo, this stuff is awesome ^^

Question: the apostrophes only mark a kind of "silent consonant", not where the stress of the word is, right? Since otherwise "txe'lan" would have the stress on the second syllable.

The ' marks a glottal stop, similar to the middle of the English word "uh-oh". You are correct though, that the apostrophe does not mark word stress and "txe'lan" has stress on the 2nd syllable. Note though that many people (such a prrton) mark stress by putting an accent on the vowel to mark syllable stress, but this is an accent, not an apostrophe.

Why is it, by the way, that in words like Fikem or ampi, the middle consonants like K and P are pronounced so lightly? (almost like figgem and ambbi)

Na'vi p's, t's, and k's are always un-aspirated. This means they are not accompanied by a 'puff' of air. For example, an aspirated k is found in "kill" but not in "skill". An aspirated t is found is "tore" but not "store". So, the Na'vi p's, t's, and k's sound almost like a b, d, and g. Note that they ARE NOT b, d, and g, they just sound similar to those sounds. Also note that the Na'vi p, t, and k are unreleased when present at the end of a word.

Wasn't the word for "how" "pefya" though? Cause it was spellt and pronounced peyfa.

I thought I updated this... You are correct though, "peyfa" was due to a misspelling.

Mithcoriel

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 12, 2010, 09:15:46 AM

I thought I updated this... You are correct though, "peyfa" was due to a misspelling.

Ah yes, now I see it, you did! I copied and replaced the old folder, so naturally "pefya" didn't replace "peyfa", and I still had both sounds in it. ^^

'Itan Atxur

Excellent! I really love this tool!

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Pwatem

,__, 
(0,0)
/)_)
   ""
"I am alive inside. a bird is my heart." - Sapphire

Nanaki

Irayo !

It is awesome, great job :D
'Itan Atxur : Just remember, NO idea is too crazy <3

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...
Don't thank! You don't thank for this! This is sad... VERY sad only!

Plltxeyu

Irayo!

They really helped me get a sense of the sounds not native to English or other European languages.

omängum fra'uti

Is there a list of words which have yet to be recorded anywhere?  I'd love to get back to helping fill this all out.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on February 27, 2010, 07:51:52 PM
Is there a list of words which have yet to be recorded anywhere?  I'd love to get back to helping fill this all out.

Not yet but I think someone mentioned making something like this.

omängum fra'uti

I mentioned it would be a good idea.

But now I am making a spreadsheet on google docs with all the words/meanings (No pronunciation/stress guide, sorry) and a column for sound clip, who the speaker is, reviewer comments, and 3 people to review and approve the pronunciation.

Once I'm done making it I'll figure out how to let other people work with it.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on February 27, 2010, 11:05:14 PM
I mentioned it would be a good idea.

But now I am making a spreadsheet on google docs with all the words/meanings (No pronunciation/stress guide, sorry) and a column for sound clip, who the speaker is, reviewer comments, and 3 people to review and approve the pronunciation.

Once I'm done making it I'll figure out how to let other people work with it.
That would be awesome.

omängum fra'uti

This is where it can be viewed at the moment.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tEULNUMYKBEHySPErNRWhMw&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Editing will be at...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsQZVhZx_Z17dEVVTE5VTVlLQkVIeVNQRXJOUldoTXc&hl=en

Anyone who is going to record and publish spoken words, or has a good understanding of CORRECT Na'vi pronunciation (Including all vowel sounds and stresses) and wishes direct access, PM me your google account and I'll add you to the list of editors.

Erimeyz

omängum fra'uti

Alright, I have all attested words that I know of in there, ready to be added.

omängum fra'uti

I didn't like seeing a completely blank list, so I recorded some new clips and put them in, starting from Z and working back on any monosyllabic word or words with marked stress.

Mithcoriel

Really? Cool, where can we download em? ^^

Na'ríng Tsmuke

xX- Her Name Is Written On A Polished Rock;
                                A Broken Heart That The World Forgot -Xx

'Itan Atxur

Whats the word count ATM?

omängum fra'uti

Just recorded a series of more words in Na'vi only.

They are part of the collection at http://www.tyger.org/~tiger/navi/wordlist.php?filterlevel=1

'Itan Atxur

So is the original project not going any more? I liked the English na'vi English stuff