TalkNavi.com up and running.

Started by neosis666, December 23, 2009, 11:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiaru

Quote from: vidvamp01 on December 25, 2009, 05:23:29 AM
Quote from: umängam fra'uti on December 24, 2009, 03:05:50 AM
I was about to try and translate "I can has ..." to Na'vi, when I realized two things...

1. We don't have a word for "have" at the moment.
2. It would be really hard to make something so short grammatically incorrect, or ordered wrong, which are both the attributes that make "I can has cheeseburger?" into lol-speak.

Interesting.  Do we want to Break Na'vi to allow LOL cats or 1337?

Eywa, ngahängu...

never no lolcats or 1337 on Na'vi, besides those are human concepts.

~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Quote from: wm.annis on December 25, 2009, 09:39:42 AM
Quote from: Lahea Ayunilyä Taronyu on December 25, 2009, 09:18:33 AM
so true it was crazier each day!! what's tewte btw?

There is no tewte.  There is, however, tewti, which occurs in the comments for Frommer's guest blog post on Language Log.  Frommer translates it "wow."

ohh right. thank you. irayo :)
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Tslamyu

TalkNa'vi messed up again! yesterday, there were pages and pages of audio files. Now, only one little file remains!

neosis666

"again"? Please feel free to explain this.

I think if you check the news section there is a perfectly reasonable explination why they were removed. If we wish to expand this language we need to do it as legitimately as possible. As such I will not endorce illegal files, I have something in the works at the moment, but untill I get an official yes or no from Cameron / Fox, these files will not be on my site.

MidnightLightning

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 24, 2009, 03:05:50 AM
I was about to try and translate "I can has ..." to Na'vi, when I realized two things...

2. It would be really hard to make something so short grammatically incorrect, or ordered wrong, which are both the attributes that make "I can has cheeseburger?" into lol-speak.

It's been suggested that Dative (-ru) combined with "lu" as a verb can be considered possession, so might "Oeru lu cheeseburger srak?" be the correct way to ask "Can I have a cheeseburger?" (since "I have a cheeseburger" is "Oeru lu cheeseburger", and "srak" changes it into a yes/no question?), or more literally, "I am in the possession of a cheeseburger, yes?" Or does "lu" have to be put in a different tense (future tense? "I will be in the possession of a cheeseburger in the near future, yes?") for that to be grammatically correct?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

omängum fra'uti

No that's grammatically correct.

And too late, I figured that out a few days ago and have already bastardized Na'vi grammar. :D

Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

kewnya txamew'itan

That would mean "do I have a cheeseburger?"

I can has cheeseburger would probably be:

oeru tsun lu tsisprrkrrl srak? (I tried to transliterate cheesburger as tsis.prr.krr)

As the phrase generally refers to wanting to receive a cheeseburger soon (albeit unfortunately not now as that would be impossible) but without taking the normal future form or subjunctive mood or any other mood I shall call it the lolcat mood.

Now it just needs an infix. Personally I like the idea of it using the perfective infix just because of the spelling even though that makes no sense.

So my interpretation would be:

oeru tsun lolu tsisprrkrrl srak?

Edit: ninjad. omängum fra'utiyä translation is correct although the grammar is too correct, I suggest oeru tsayun lereiu tsispurkrrri srak? Obviously the topic of the phrase is the cheeseburger and should be indicated as such.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

omängum fra'uti

I was about to point out you just suggested I put what I did with different infixes.

I was actually aiming for conflicting tenses with <ay> and <ìm> but the builder didn't allow ì, so I had to settle.  It's not perfect grammar, but I did want the cheeseburger to be the focus..  And while making it the topic would have been grammatically wrong, that is sort of the goal.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 24, 2009, 03:05:50 AM

Well, you could make "Oe" possessive.

So, it would be "Oeyä tsun..."
It's just not the same effect, though. :(
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite