"Sea People" (possible spoilers)

Started by Tsu'roen, December 28, 2022, 04:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsu'roen

There are a few things I found notable or even a bit strange:

1. the Sea People, with their flattened, muscular tails and ridged forearms, are anatomically quite a bit different from Forest People. So different that I would think they likely qualify at a minimum as a different Na'vi subspecies.

2. the Na'vi language seems to be uniform across Pandora. This is something I would rather find strange as there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of interaction between the different tribes, certainly not enough to maintain a uniform language over vast distances.
In much of Europe (and likely everywhere else on Earth) you can already have slightly different dialects in neighboring villages and just a few hundred kilometers further encounter a completely different language. The same pattern existed in the Americas before the arrival of the Europeans with every tribe having its own flavor of their nation's language and different nations having different languages. Yet, on Pandora, you can travel halfway around the globe, and people living on islands in the ocean still speak the same language (without much of a dialect) as the people in the middle of the forest.
I understand that Cameron and his team didn't want to create a second, largely new language, but I would really like a plausible explanation for this otherwise strange and unusual uniformity, especially in light of the different tribes living far from each other in very different environments.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Tìtstewan

The most plausible explanation for this uniform language I can think is the way all Na'vi connect with their environment. Their ancestors are in Eywa and Eywa is a global biological network that is covering Pandora. When the Na'vi talk to their ancestors or their recently died people, they speak just one language, and in order to keep the connetion and communication with them active, they just need one language. Apparently, the same thing goes also for the tsaheylu connection with various life forms such as Ikran, Pa'li, Toruk etc. Na'vi does have dialects, btw.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Toliman

Quote from: Tìtstewan on December 28, 2022, 04:46:35 AMThe most plausible explanation for this uniform language I can think is the way all Na'vi connect with their environment. Their ancestors are in Eywa and Eywa is a global biological network that is covering Pandora. When the Na'vi talk to their ancestors or their recently died people, they speak just one language, and in order to keep the connetion and communication with them active, they just need one language. Apparently, the same thing goes also for the tsaheylu connection with various life forms such as Ikran, Pa'li, Toruk etc. Na'vi does have dialects, btw.
Yeah, I would say that this is a right explanation, probably.