The way of water discussion, no spoilers please!!!

Started by archaic, December 16, 2022, 06:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaic

OK, so can we have a spoiler free discussion about all things Avatar2 please?

I didn't get to the midnight screening.  :'(  :'(
But I did get to watch it on release day.

What did I think of it?
Amazing, awesome, epic.
Well, I guess we've all seen the teasers and bits of footage that have been released, it's nice absolutely amazing to see how they all fit in.
So, the effects are amazing, I saw it in regular 3D, I can only imagine the Imax experience!

However, there were a couple of places at the beginning where the 3d wasn't as polished as it was pretty much every where else. This is a minor niggle, nothing more.
There are a couple of plot holes, but as this is the first of four sequels, I'll assume they are deliberately there to help with the later sequels.

But, I've written fanfic, and I've spent I don't know how many hours watching, re-watching, scrutinizing, and very carefully considering so many details in the original movie. Right at the beginning , there's a couple of bits where I was left thinking that what I was seeing didn't fit comfortably with what I teased out of Avatar1. But I could have been wrong back then.

Speaking of fanfic, I set two pair of 'fics as different sequels, I did a script for Avatar2 and 3, which it theory Cameron could pick up and (after a lot of proof reading) make movies from them. Then I wrote a crossover with How to Train your Dragon, I started it, gave up, and left it to rot for a while, before I came back to it (with a propper name for it this time) and completed it, before going on to write sequel to that, which included Terminators, obviously.
There are a few details in The Way of Water, that could be seen as subtle nods to details in these four fanfics. At this point, I suspect some are pure coincidence, and the rest are probably unintentional.

Overall, I absolutely loved it.
I laughed, I cried (quite a bit, actually), it is better from a story point of view than Avatar1. The hater's will find this Avatar harder to call dances with wolves in space.
Act 2 is a lot of looking at Pandora, the new stuff is just stunning, it's quiet, with little action, but the visuals easily more than made up for me. :D   :D
And I made it start to finish without needing the rest room - it's over three hours. I did stay and watched the credits. There isn't a post credits scene, not that I was expecting any.
The music has a lot of James Horner all over it too. :D   :D

The only real disappointment, was that there wasn't more time spent with Nanatang. Maybe I'm biased.

So, would I recommend it? YES!!! Yes I would. With no hesitation, what so ever!!!!! Go watch it!!!!!!!
But then, if you are here, you probably don't need me to recommend it.  :P  :facepalm:

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Toliman

Quote from: archaic on December 16, 2022, 06:51:22 PMWhat did I think of it?
Amazing, awesome, epic.
Well, I guess we've all seen the teasers and bits of footage that have been released, it's nice absolutely amazing to see how they all fit in.
So, the effects are amazing, I saw it in regular 3D, I can only imagine the Imax experience!
Yeah, me too - it was epic.
I saw it in IMAX and it was absolutelly amazing :D

Quote from: archaic on December 16, 2022, 06:51:22 PMOverall, I absolutely loved it.
I laughed, I cried (quite a bit, actually), it is better from a story point of view than Avatar1. The hater's will find this Avatar harder to call dances with wolves in space.
Act 2 is a lot of looking at Pandora, the new stuff is just stunning, it's quiet, with little action, but the visuals easily more than made up for me. :D  :D
And I made it start to finish without needing the rest room - it's over three hours. I did stay and watched the credits. There isn't a post credits scene, not that I was expecting any.
The music has a lot of James Horner all over it too. :D  :D
Me too, I loved it absolutely :) Story was really very good, I enjoyed every minute of movie.
Yeah, I would say that important part of music was by James Horner.

archaic

Toliman

Toliman

Quote from: archaic on December 17, 2022, 05:51:53 PM
Quote from: Toliman on December 16, 2022, 07:22:34 PMI saw it in IMAX and it was absolutelly amazing :D
You lucky swine!  ;)  ;D
And today I rewatched TWoW in 4DX cinema, it was fun but I enjoyed IMAX more... combination of IMAX with 4DX would be awesome ;D

Blue Elf

My feeling? Technicaly and visualy amazing movie, kezemplltxe. But IMHO for me will not be so favorite as first one. Reasons? Here are:
  • movie raises too many question, but no answers, like - how it is possible that Kiri was born by Grace's Avatar, who is her father? Who is mother of Spider? Why scientist, who lead RDA to fall in first movie weren't also subject of Quaritch's revenge? Do we'll get answers later??
  • some scenes looked like clipped from first movie, somehow reworked and used again. For example Quaritch's first bond and flight, Spider's lesson how to correctly say I see you (BTW - ugly usage of language by Quaritch...), Jake becoming part of Metkayina clan, very final scene.... It's like copying yourself, and there is no need to do this for J.C.
  • I didn't like tulkun hunt scene, it was even worse action than destroy of Hometree, but probably J.C. wanted to show how deep people can fall down for money...
  • nearly no Na'vi language used! Except Songcord, but other usages sounds quite poor (especially Quaritch)
  • Quaritch again on scene, and even stronger than before!
  • opened end with Quaritch not killed, but saved by Spider. It most probably will lead to new war - and problems between Spider and other people of Jake's family
Alhought all this maybe sounds somehow negative, I still plan to see it again to see more. Just I feel like I've got something different than expected. :-\
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Toliman

Quote from: Blue Elf on December 19, 2022, 03:14:02 PM
  • I didn't like tulkun hunt scene, it was even worse action than destroy of Hometree, but probably J.C. wanted to show how deep people can fall down for money...
I would say that exactly this J. C. intended.

Quote from: Blue Elf on December 19, 2022, 03:14:02 PM
  • movie raises too many question, but no answers, like - how it is possible that Kiri was born by Grace's Avatar, who is her father? Who is mother of Spider? Why scientist, who lead RDA to fall in first movie weren't also subject of Quaritch's revenge? Do we'll get answers later??
I think that we have to wait for third movie.

archaic

I agree that we have to wait for third movie, there needs to be scope for the story to continue.

Also, the blue above yellow stripe on the Hell's Gate Samsung, was faithful to the original movie, but also could be seen as a reference to the Ukrainian flag.

Dang, that could be seen as a spoiler.

Toliman

Quote from: archaic on December 20, 2022, 06:27:38 AMI agree that we have to wait for third movie, there needs to be scope for the story to continue.
I guess meanwhile there will be huge number of interesting theories and speculations about it.

Quote from: archaic on December 20, 2022, 06:27:38 AMAlso, the blue above yellow stripe on the Hell's Gate Samsung, was faithful to the original movie, but also could be seen as a reference to the Ukrainian flag.
Oh, interesting idea.

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Blue Elf on 12/19/2022, 1:14:02 PM
    • movie raises too many question, but no answers, like - how it is possible that Kiri was born by Grace's Avatar, who is her father? Who is mother of Spider? ... Do we'll get answers later??

I think I have a very good idea who (or rather what) impregnated Grace's avatar, and when.
Kiri's abilities are a pretty strong hint if you get my drift...

As for Spider's mother, the Avatar Wiki has that one covered. I'm pretty sure her name was also mentioned in the movie.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Toliman

Quote from: Tsu'roen on December 28, 2022, 04:30:53 AM

I think I have a very good idea who (or rather what) impregnated Grace's avatar, and when.
Kiri's abilities are a pretty strong hint if you get my drift...
Seems that I have same idea.

Toliman

Today I watched Avatar 2 for third time and I am still surprised a lot how many things I didn't noticed during previous two watching...