Started by Ean Hufwetulyu, June 03, 2010, 06:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What gender will Jake and Neytiri's be?

girl ('ite)
boy ('itan)
girl and boy ('ite ulte 'itan)

Txura Rolyu

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on October 17, 2011, 02:07:10 AM
Dig it up up ohm, dig it, dig it up up ohm OH!

They brought information to the conversation so I say it is fair game. Besides it will be nice to get this convo running again to see if anybody has new ideas after letting it rest for a while.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

archaic

Quote from: Amaya on October 16, 2011, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: Seze Mune on October 16, 2011, 07:12:40 PM

I really couldn't say how all this fits in with navels, though.  I've
never heard of a snake with a belly button.

It's my understanding that reptiles, etc. do have a small scar from where their yolk sac was attached but I don't have any direct evidence or anything like that, sorry.

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 16, 2011, 07:12:40 PM
Spinning off from this, if some reptiles are viviparous, then there is the potential (at least in my mind) that ikrans can give live birth.  Not eggs.

There actually is a basic problem with this, although I'm sure you didn't deliberately miss this, you just didn't think about this:  ayikran have to fly, and carrying a foetus in utero (or whatever analagous structure) would both change their aerodynamics and add extra weight which would impact their flight (although of course not as much as a rider on their back, but the rider isn't there all day and all night for months straight)

Bats seam to manage ok, and cetaceans don't seem affected by the hydrodynamic affects of pregnancy.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on October 17, 2011, 02:25:19 AM

They brought information to the conversation so I say it is fair game. Besides it will be nice to get this convo running again to see if anybody has new ideas after letting it rest for a while.

I agree with that.  If necroposting is as illegal as, say, piracy, then maybe more housekeeping is in order here.  Like after a certain amount of time, ALL threads are locked, regardless.  And after they are locked for a certain amount of time, then all non-Na'vi language/culture type threads should be expunged.  Otherwise, it's just gonna tick people off to have these miscellaneous tantalizing threads dangling there, doing nothing more than taking up bandwidth with no way to add your own thoughts about them.

I for one wouldn't like those solutions, but then there would be no need to necropolice threads.  Problem solved.  I guess.

PS - no disrespect intended, ExLibrisMortis.  :D

Sherilyn

Thank you Txura Rolyu and Seze Mune.  I appreciate your understanding.

I honestly didn't think I'd be ridiculed for necroposting.  I am fairly new here, so, necrothread or not, every thread is new to me, and I thought I'd add something to this one which hadn't yet been discussed.

What should I have done?  Started a new thread on the same subject?  I'm not being snarky, I honestly would like to know.
For future reference though, and so that I don't offend anyone else; exact definition of a necrothread?  Two weeks, two months, what?

Amaya

No, I don't consider that you were doing "bad necroposting".  You had new information to contribute and re-started a relevent discussion.

Bad necroposting is when you go to a thread that hasn't been posted in for quite some time and just say something like "wow, that's cool"

So no worries, ma tsmuke, you're all good!

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 17, 2011, 12:42:23 PM
Quote from: Txura Rolyu on October 17, 2011, 02:25:19 AM

I agree with that.  If necroposting is as illegal as, say, piracy, then maybe more housekeeping is in order here.  Like after a certain amount of time, ALL threads are locked, regardless.  And after they are locked for a certain amount of time, then all non-Na'vi language/culture type threads should be expunged.  Otherwise, it's just gonna tick people off to have these miscellaneous tantalizing threads dangling there, doing nothing more than taking up bandwidth with no way to add your own thoughts about them.

I for one wouldn't like those solutions, but then there would be no need to necropolice threads.  Problem solved.  I guess.

PS - no disrespect intended, ExLibrisMortis.  :D

None taken, it just seems I come from a different era of LN where Necroposting was practically of the devil.

Nongyu te Syulang Swokioang'itan

Quote from: Rain on June 08, 2010, 07:46:52 PM
I envision five fingers on each hand but only vol venzek. And possibly very sparse eyebrows.
The Na'vi don't have that "I lay eggs to reproduce" kind of vibe, at least none that let on in the movie. I imagine that tsahaylu is the nervous input during, but there's got to be more to it for the actual reproduction.

Here's a funky thought; if they were not gestating creatures (carrying them inside), has anyone considered marsupialism? Lol, did anybody notice a pouch anywhere?

What's marsupialism?
In the unwieldy situation of knowing way more grammar than vocab

Seze Mune

Quote from: Nantang tihusahaw on November 19, 2011, 02:59:25 AM
Quote from: Rain on June 08, 2010, 07:46:52 PM
I envision five fingers on each hand but only vol venzek. And possibly very sparse eyebrows.
The Na'vi don't have that "I lay eggs to reproduce" kind of vibe, at least none that let on in the movie. I imagine that tsahaylu is the nervous input during, but there's got to be more to it for the actual reproduction.

Here's a funky thought; if they were not gestating creatures (carrying them inside), has anyone considered marsupialism? Lol, did anybody notice a pouch anywhere?

What's marsupialism?

Being a marsupial, like a kangaroo.  Here's part of what Wiki says about them:

"
Early development
[/size]

"An early birth removes a developing marsupial from its parent's body much sooner than in placental mammals, and thus marsupials have not developed a complex placenta to protect the embryo from its mother's immune system. Though early birth places the tiny newborn marsupial at a greater environmental risk, it significantly reduces the dangers associated with long pregnancies, as there is no need to carry a large fetus to full-term in bad seasons.

"Because newborn marsupials must climb up to their mother's nipples, their front limbs are much more developed than the rest of the body at the time of birth. It is possible that this requirement has resulted in the limited range of locomotor adaptations in marsupials compared to placentals. Marsupials must develop a grasping forepaw during their early youth, making the transition from this limb into a hoof, wing, or flipper, as some groups of placental mammals have done, far more difficult.

"An infant marsupial is known as a joey. Marsupials have an extremely short gestation period (about 4–5 weeks), and the joey is 'born' essentially in a fetal state. The blind, furless, miniature newborn, the size of a jelly bean, crawls across its mother's fur to make its way into the pouch, where it latches onto a teat for food. It will not re-emerge for several months, during which time it develops fully. After this period, the joey begins to spend increasing lengths of time out of the pouch, feeding and learning survival skills. However, it returns to the pouch to sleep, and if danger threatens it will seek refuge in its mother's pouch for safety.

"Joeys stay in the pouch for up to a year in some species, or until the next joey is born. A marsupial joey is unable to regulate its own body temperature, and thus relies upon an external heat source. Until the joey is well-furred and old enough to leave the pouch, a pouch temperature between 30–32 °C (86–90 °F) must be constantly maintained.
[edit] Reproductive system

"Marsupials' reproductive systems differ markedly from those of placental mammals (Placentalia). Females have two lateral vaginas, which lead to separate uteri but both open externally through the same orifice. A third canal, the median vagina, is used for birth. This canal can be transitory or permanent.[19] The males generally have a two-pronged penis, which corresponds to the females' two vaginas.[20] The penis is used only for discharging semen into females, and there is instead a urogenital sac used to store waste before expulsion.[further explanation needed]

"Pregnant females develop a kind of yolk sac in their wombs, which delivers nutrients to the embryo. Marsupials give birth at a very early stage of development (about 4–5 weeks); after birth, newborn marsupials crawl up the bodies of their mothers and attach themselves to a nipple, which is located on the underside of the mother either inside a pouch called the marsupium or open to the environment. To crawl to the nipple and attach to it, the marsupial must have well developed forelimbs and facial structures.[21][22] This is accomplished by accelerating forelimb and facial development in marsupials compared to placental mammals. As a result, there is decelerated development of such structures as the hindlimb and brain. There they remain for a number of weeks, attached to the nipple. The offspring are eventually able to leave the marsupium for short periods, returning to it for warmth, protection and nourishment."

Source:  Marsupials - Wikipedia

Based on the above, I think it would be unlikely Na'vi would be marsupial.  Not because it's not possible, but because I don't think James Cameron would want to remove them that far from humans' ability to identify with them.

Human No More

They are mammals. They reproduce in the same manner as humans.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Sherilyn

Quote from: Human No More on November 26, 2011, 07:37:03 PM

But no.  James Cameron said they are non-placental. Why the belly-button then?  ~shrug~  That's a question for Mr. Cameron.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Sherilyn on November 27, 2011, 02:50:13 AM

But no.  James Cameron said they are non-placental. Why the belly-button then?  ~shrug~  That's a question for Mr. Cameron.

Hmm.  Point.

Amaya

"Belly buttons" aren't exclusive to placental mammals, you know.  Even aligators have similar structures where their yolk sacs were attached while in the egg

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Wow, I cant believe this thread is still going strong! (Pleased)

However, we will never truly know until the next movie comes out. Maybe not even then! Perhaps the third movie?
I do believe that the Na'vi were made in our image so that we could relate to them as closely as possible. Most physical features we can relate to. (besides the tail and the awesome ears etc)

So I believe that their children will be born like we are...

Quote from: Seze Mune on November 27, 2011, 11:29:37 AM

But no.  James Cameron said they are non-placental. Why the belly-button then?  ~shrug~  That's a question for Mr. Cameron.

Can I get a source please? I really would like to read about what Mr. Cameron did say on this matter. I would appreciate it :D

NotW#82

Seze Mune

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Interesting... It seems that the Na'vi were created so we could relate to their features in comparison to our own.
However they are biologically different in almost every way? very strange that they would do that.

Thanks Seze! You fail to disappoint me!

NotW#82

Seze Mune

Quote from: Na'vin Nosferatu on November 27, 2011, 03:24:39 PM
Interesting... It seems that the Na'vi were created so we could relate to their features in comparison to our own.
However they are biologically different in almost every way? very strange that they would do that.

Thanks Seze! You fail to disappoint me!
;D

Sherilyn

Quote from: Amaya on November 27, 2011, 11:35:48 AM

"Belly buttons" aren't exclusive to placental mammals, you know.  Even aligators have similar structures where their yolk sacs were attached while in the egg

True.  I recall this now.

Also, according to Cameron, they're not mammals at all.  Refer to the article in the link Seze posted earlier.  The boobs do not function as those of mammals, they do not nurse their children, they have no purpose, except as a theatre draw.

Human No More

No, that interview is completely non-canon. It also calls Jake Josh, says that he has no legs, and calls Pandora a planet!...

It was based around the original concept art, which had a FAR more 'reptilian' look.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Coyote

WooHoo, another one late to the game!  ;)

Another thing to consider for Jake & Neyteri's child is the possibility that they cannot have children the natural way, but that "some of the enlightened humans" left behind at the Hell's Gate base will stir one up in a gestation pod like they do with Avatars, mixing the genetic strands from the two parents in whatever way it is done. They'd do it as a favor for their friends-- and to see if it could be done at all. After all, one of the humans left behind was Max Patel, and he seems to be the guy who could potentially pull this off.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.