JAMES CAMERON JUST THE WORLD SOLO DEEP DIVING SUB RECORD, 5.1 MILES

Started by Niri Te, March 08, 2012, 11:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niri Te

James Cameron just set the World Solo Sub Deep Dive Record at 5.1 miles, off Paupa, New Guinea!! Soon, he will go to the Ocean Floor of the Marianas Trench, 6.8 miles down!! He is bringing lights, cameras, and remote sampling gear, something that has NEVER been done before!!!

James Cameron sets submarine diving world record | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Seze Mune

This is the one-man sub, I presume?

I am biting my talons here.....I do not like the 'Challenger' name association...   :o

"Mention James Cameron and the first thing most people probably think of is Avatar, or perhaps the 1997 mega-blockbuster, disaster / romance mashup Titanic. Most people probably don't think of him as a world record-setting submarine diver — but after an expedition Cameron made on Tuesday, that's exactly what he is. The filmmaker took his custom deep-sea submarine, the Deepsea Challenger, deeper than any other human has ever gone on a solo mission — 5.1 miles straight down, in fact. It turns Cameron's just getting started: next, he plans to reach the Mariana Trench's Challenger Deep, a place so deep that humans haven't visited it in over 52 years. It turns out that after filming Titanic, Cameron became quite an avid diver and has spent the better part of the last 10 years on deep-sea exploration.

"Thanks to the massive technology upgrades that have taken place since 1960, Cameron will get to spend about six hours on the ocean's floor, compared to only 20 minutes spent by the earlier expedition. Naturally, the entire expedition will be filmed: the 24-foot tall submarine has been outfitted with numerous 3D high-definition cameras and an eight foot tall array of LED lighting. There's a lot of other technology on board that's more focused on keeping passengers alive than documenting anything — due to the 16,000 pound-per-square-inch pressure that exists at the bottom of the ocean, the submarine will actually compress by about two and a half inches during the planned 6.8-mile decent. National Geographic has an in-depth look at Cameron's planned voyage, so check it out if yo'ure interested in learning more about one of the earth's final frontiers."

Source:  James Cameron and his Deepsea Challenger submarine set solo diving world record

Toruk Makto

Many ocean-going exploration vessels have "challenger" in the name.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Vur’evenge

"We tend to live in a world of certainty, of undoubted, rock-ribbed perceptions: our convictions prove that things are the way we see them and there is no alternative to what we hold as true.  This is our daily situation, our cultural condition, our common way of being human" ~ Maturana & Varela

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Toruk Makto on March 11, 2012, 01:31:27 PM

Thank you for the reassurance, ma Toruk Makto.   I just don't want anything to happen to him, especially now...and I think the major reason for his voyage is Avatar 2, kefyak?

'Oma Tirea

Recently saw it in my local newspaper too, Associated Press.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

CyanRachel

Quote from: Vur'evenge on March 11, 2012, 02:25:56 PM
Boldly go, James!  Eywa ngahu!

More on the 3 Mariana Trench dives in the news

Yes, good luck to you, JC, and stay safe!
What he's doing with this DeepSea Challenge is really awesome.  :)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 11, 2012, 03:50:34 PM
Quote from: Toruk Makto on March 11, 2012, 01:31:27 PM

Thank you for the reassurance, ma Toruk Makto.   I just don't want anything to happen to him, especially now...and I think the major reason for his voyage is Avatar 2, kefyak?

James Cameron has a history of scientific exploration of the oceans for the sake of science itself. With that said, it is almost certain that a lot of the footage he will get will find a part in the next two Avatar films.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Swoka Ikran

He made it to 6.8 miles earlier today. Just saw it on Twitter and on the news :)

Just arrived at the ocean's deepest pt. Hitting bottom never felt so good. Can't wait to share what I'm seeing w/ you @DeepChallenge
http://twitter.com/#/JimCameron
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Seze Mune

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 25, 2012, 07:09:12 PM
He made it to 6.8 miles earlier today. Just saw it on Twitter and on the news :)

Just arrived at the ocean's deepest pt. Hitting bottom never felt so good. Can't wait to share what I'm seeing w/ you @DeepChallenge
http://twitter.com/#/JimCameron

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing that, ma Swoka Ikran!

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

I understand that the pressures are so great at that depth that there are no vertebrate life cause it would crush the calcium right out of the bones.

To boldly go where no man has gone before... and lived.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Niri Te

Irayo, ma Swoka ikran. I can't wait to see the images of a place that is every bit as lethal to unprotected humans as anywhere in Space  loaded upon the internet.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Our Na'vi creator and now a Guinness record setter for deepest solo sub dive... I would wager anyways.

I do not think I could get into a 'can' and do that... I am by no means claustrophobic... but wow. So amazing. I am eager to see images.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Vur’evenge

"We tend to live in a world of certainty, of undoubted, rock-ribbed perceptions: our convictions prove that things are the way we see them and there is no alternative to what we hold as true.  This is our daily situation, our cultural condition, our common way of being human" ~ Maturana & Varela

Seze Mune

GREAT FIND, ma Vur'evenge!

From your link:

"Retired U.S. Navy Capt. Don Walsh, who descended to Challenger Deep in 1960, said he was pleased to hear that Cameron had reached the underwater valley safely.

"That was a grand moment, to welcome him to the club," Walsh, said in a telephone interview from the sub-support ship.

"There're only three of us in it, and one of them—late Swiss engineer Jacques Piccard—"is dead. Now it's just Jim and myself."

Expedition physician Joe MacInnis called Cameron's successful descent today "the ultimate test of a man and his machine."

After breaching the ocean surface, the DEEPSEA CHALLENGER was first spotted by a helicopter owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, a longtime Cameron friend. Allen was on the scene for the historic dive and posted live updates of the event on Twitter from aboard his yacht, the Octopus, which is providing backup support for the mission."

Seze Mune

From the same link:

"Perhaps referring to his friend's most recent movie, expedition physician MacInnis called Cameron a real-world "avatar."

"He's down there on behalf of everybody else on this planet," he said. "There are seven billion people who can't go, and he can. And he's aware of that."

Vur’evenge

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 26, 2012, 08:44:59 AM
From the same link:

"Perhaps referring to his friend's most recent movie, expedition physician MacInnis called Cameron a real-world "avatar."

"He's down there on behalf of everybody else on this planet," he said. "There are seven billion people who can't go, and he can. And he's aware of that."

Abso-friggin-lutely!   :)  :)  :)

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.