LearnNavi policy on unauthorized leaks and spoilers

Started by Toruk Makto, July 24, 2012, 11:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

Ma smuk,

At the 2012 AvatarMeet, Jon Landau (the producer of Avatar) specifically stated and enlisted our help to allow the filmmakers at Lightstorm and Fox to release information about the upcoming sequels on their own timetable. Part of the allure and success of a film is allowing the curtain to go up and reveal the experience of the film as the creators intend. With that in mind, we at LearnNavi will actively discourage the posting of any unauthorized, or leaked material about the next films on the forums. We do want (and encourage!) conversation, speculation and guesses on what is coming, but we do not want to spoil the hard work that all of these people are putting into the upcoming films by trying to upstage them with "insider leaks". Please help us grant the wishes of the filmmakers in this regard by not posting content, or links to content that have not been specifically provided by recognized and authoritative news sources.

ta Markì

P.S. Considering the recent events and discussions at Avatar Meet 2014, we are being tested.

ta Txur'Itan.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Seze Mune

I fully agree.  It might be helpful to give an example of whom we consider to be authoritative sources.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Seze Mune on July 24, 2012, 11:59:37 AM
I fully agree.  It might be helpful to give an example of whom we consider to be authoritative sources.

Funny you should mention that, because that is precisely what is being assembled. Obviously, the official Fox Avatar movie site and Facebook postings are good. Also anything that comes from a major news source like AP, CNN or the leading movie industry news sites. Anything specifically relayed to LearnNavi from the filmmakers will be annotated as such.

Information that comes unattested on minor websites or known "dark side" leak sources should not be shared here.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Considering the potential good that this relationship brings to our community, I think this message needs to be 'elevated' to a place where it will be seen by everyone.

This kind of collaboration with fans has happened before with other films, with good results. We really do need to make sure it doesn't get 'spoiled' by 'spurious spoilers'.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

I too agree. There needs to be a screen to filter the filth from the good.

I have seen several copy/paste from online magazine like articles that were so hokie that there were literal multiple misspells and grammatical errors that one HAS to raise an eyebrow. I specifically refer in this case to the posting of Zoe Saldana's house being broken into. That was several months back.

ANYWAYS, yes. I think we should limit the official sources to less than five.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Yaknun

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on July 25, 2012, 02:58:37 PM
...  ANYWAYS, yes. I think we should limit the official sources to less than five ...

I think that is a very good idea. So we make sure that no nonsense is written.
Neytiri:
"Sie leben, Jake, in Eywa"

alt, aber
vernarrt in AVATAR

CyanRachel

Quote from: Toruk Makto on July 24, 2012, 11:56:58 AM
Ma smuk,

At the 2012 AvatarMeet, Jon Landau (the producer of Avatar) specifically stated and enlisted our help to allow the filmmakers at Lightstorm and Fox to release information about the upcoming sequels on their own timetable. Part of the allure and success of a film is allowing the curtain to go up and reveal the experience of the film as the creators intend. With that in mind, we at LearnNavi will actively discourage the posting of any unauthorized, or leaked material about the next films on the forums. We do want (and encourage!) conversation, speculation and guesses on what is coming, but we do not want to spoil the hard work that all of these people are putting into the upcoming films by trying to upstage them with "insider leaks". Please help us grant the wishes of the filmmakers in this regard by not posting content, or links to content that have not been specifically provided by recognized and authoritative news sources.

ta Markì

Yes, I totally agree -- this is a very good plan, Marki!
Irayo for posting this important message here!

P.S. It was great to get to meet you in Seattle.  :)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

archaic

Sneaks off to set up a Na'vi leaks web site.  ;)  ::)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

DJ Makto

archaic

Archaic, now living in an Ecuadorian embassy.
Pass the teylu Julian.

;) ;D
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Jak Dawsiin

i agree wholeheartedly, and you fine folks shall not see leak-related material posted by me.  :)