New language in Avatar 2?

Started by Txura Tirea, January 25, 2010, 07:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on April 26, 2010, 07:16:38 PM
Quote from: Autakuk 'Ekong on April 26, 2010, 07:12:18 PM
I just don't see a place for it at all.  After seeing quite a few non-April-Fools articles, it seems were staying on Pandora on the next film.  If anything, Cameron will have more Na'vi characters speaking English just so that all audiences can still understand it (I would hope not, but it seems more likely than I would want).

It'd be better for us to stay on Pandora, keeps the story a little straighter. And nice necropost...

kidding...LOL

Necropost courtesy of Eywayä lì'u. Sponsored by Autakuk 'Ekong.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

LOL

Lets get back on topic please, since we aren't letting it die.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Eyamsiyu

Well, if it were to exist, it would mean that would have to be some other humanoid-type creature as sophisticated as the Na'vi on some other continent on Pandora.

However, one could argue that the Na'vi language will have different dialects based on region, such as Midwest Engish compared to Southeast English (Those who have been both places know there is a difference and know that Midwest, especially Southern Indiana, is "worse").  Frommer might explore that area of languages.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Quote from: Autakuk 'Ekong on April 26, 2010, 07:39:39 PM
Well, if it were to exist, it would mean that would have to be some other humanoid-type creature as sophisticated as the Na'vi on some other continent on Pandora.

However, one could argue that the Na'vi language will have different dialects based on region, such as Midwest Engish compared to Southeast English (Those who have been both places know there is a difference and know that Midwest, especially Southern Indiana, is "worse").  Frommer might explore that area of languages.

Yea, i can see that. Hopefully there isn't the Na'vi equivalent of South of the Mason-Dixon Line American English. OMG do i dislike it. Record someone speaking English and play it a half speed and you get what i experienced.

LearnNavi Forums:

Eyamsiyu

Believe me, southern Indiana is a LOT worse.  I've lived a good portion of my life in North Carolina, and as a person who was raised in Indiana, the people who live in southern Indiana their whole lives sound a LOT worse.

"Wash" is pronounced "Warsh" by these kinds of people.  

wm.annis

Quote from: Autakuk 'Ekong on April 26, 2010, 07:58:35 PM"Wash" is pronounced "Warsh" by these kinds of people.  

"These kinds of people?"  That's a remarkably unfriendly turn of phrase.

Frommer has mentioned in interviews at least briefly that further Avatar movies might give him a chance to explore different dialects of Na'vi.

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: wm.annis on April 26, 2010, 08:21:20 PM
Quote from: Autakuk 'Ekong on April 26, 2010, 07:58:35 PM"Wash" is pronounced "Warsh" by these kinds of people.  

"These kinds of people?"  That's a remarkably unfriendly turn of phrase.

I know that it seems unfriendly.  Normally I would apologize, but I'm not your typical Southern Indiana resident.  Where I grew up, the size of your truck and the size of your deer bust gave you respect.  I am not a hick, and honestly find what they enjoy quite repulsive.  Conservatism and ignorance is the norm where I grew up, and I'm quite the opposite: liberal and hungry for knowledge, continually seeking to avoid seeming ignorant.

It's something I feel very strong about, and honestly because of my views my family has pretty much blacklisted me.

Enough of that though.

Quote from: wm.annis on April 26, 2010, 08:21:20 PM
Frommer has mentioned in interviews at least briefly that further Avatar movies might give him a chance to explore different dialects of Na'vi.

That's awesome!  Really interested in seeing that!

Eywayä lì'u

yeah, but it might seem really strange to hear Na'vi in a different accent, dialect would be worse though, as words could mean different things entirely when used informally. It would be almost as bad as those damn tones in Mandarin!
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Quote from: Eywayä lì'u on April 27, 2010, 12:51:28 PM
yeah, but it might seem really strange to hear Na'vi in a different accent, dialect would be worse though, as words could mean different things entirely when used informally. It would be almost as bad as those damn tones in Mandarin!

You could almost say that the Na'vi spoken in the first movie is its own dialect, differiing from what we are learning. Take Tsu'teys translation of Jake's speech at the Tree of Souls. When Jake says "Fly out as fast as the wind can carry you", Tsu'tey does not use "hufwe" which, according to Taronyu's dictionary is Na'vi for wind, he uses what sounds like a Na'vified "wind".

LearnNavi Forums:

Eywayä lì'u

true, another example could be how the -yu suffix seems to be dropped in titles "Toruk Makto" rather than "Toruk Maktoyu" which grammatically makes more sense.
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Well, literally, Toruk Makto is Last Shadow Rider, maybe they just wanted to keep it simple.

LearnNavi Forums:

Stynat

I think they both have the same god, alias Eywa. And simillair tree's of life.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on April 26, 2010, 07:21:59 PM
Necropost courtesy of Eywayä lì'u. Sponsored by Autakuk 'Ekong.

...and the above user.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tsamsiyu92

Wasn't it said that they get the language from Eywa or something, if that's so, then you should not expect too much of a variation from location to location.

Stynat

Or maybe the god on the other planet is family of Eywa  :D

Muzer

The global Tsaheylu network would probably help to keep language from deviating too much, though there will still probably be the odd bit of regional slang (wou being a prime example)
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Nifty

:o A new language??? What what what? In a sense a new language appearing in Avatar 2 is unlikely going to happen and well... who knows how sucessful it will be in the sequel. On the bright side it would be interesting to experience the event of a new language but in my opinion, I hope the Na'vi language stays.

;D Maybe compile a list of Cons and Pros about the possible appearance of a new language and evaluate on that list.
Oel tsapayang ngati ulte yom ngahu menari lu wutso. Jks ^-^
*I'm back from the dead... that is back after around 9 months... I'm sorry =(, school's been tough*

I've gone into making game guides for Wesnoth and getting back to a skill I haven't used for over 10 years... drawing. :)

Eyamsiyu

Doing Tawtewng's job...

Nifty

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on October 25, 2010, 10:34:20 AM
Doing Tawtewng's job...

:( :( :(  T.T Alright I won't do it again. Nice pic.
Oel tsapayang ngati ulte yom ngahu menari lu wutso. Jks ^-^
*I'm back from the dead... that is back after around 9 months... I'm sorry =(, school's been tough*

I've gone into making game guides for Wesnoth and getting back to a skill I haven't used for over 10 years... drawing. :)

Eyamsiyu

Nah, it's all good in 'da hood. ;)