The Way of Water official trailer is up

Started by wm.annis, November 02, 2022, 08:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm.annis

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Just saw this (please see attached). Apparently it's been up for two hours on YouTube at least, with 2 million views. And it's Avatar 2. I'm not going to waste brain cells even thinking about numerology. I just think it's rather interesting that on November second I happen to see the Avatar 2 trailer after it's been up two hours and two million people have seen it (the trailer, not the movie). The only way it could be better is if this was the second trailer. But that's neither here nor there. I find myself wondering if I want to see the trailer or bury my head in the sand and refuse to watch any commercials or do any speculation and go in to the movie with the same blissful ignorance that I had when I walked in the theater on my birthday after work on opening day so many years ago and said well, here's two hours that will celebrate my "special day" and changed my life.

If anybody reads this, I'm just curious what your "right now" experience is. Where are you? What is your plan? And have you already rushed in and tried to find out everything you can about the movie already? Or are you, like me, hiding out so that whatever comes is as much of a surprise as possible. I really want to like this movie. It's been a long, long time. There's only one person in the world who can make the movie, and he has the right team.  Hopefully he's got the right (Disney) studio to back him up. There's a lot of pressure on this movie to succeed, especially because Disney only wants mega franchises now and is not afraid to run something into the ground. I don't want to see Avatar end up getting the Star Wars treatment.  I want to be excited at the movie's coming. It's just been a long long time. And because of that, this movie has to be so much better. And for myself, I will say I wasn't super impressed with the teaser trailer I was forced to watch at the beginning of Avatar a month ago when I saw the movie in the theater. The scene with the whale: Of course the CGI was good, but the rest of it just seemed commonplace. This movie can't be commonplace. I'm hugging a tree and on my knees, praying to all things nature oriented and holy that this movie will at least be as good as the original in the way that Terminator 2 was at least as good as Terminator.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

wm.annis

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on November 02, 2022, 10:18:24 AMIf anybody reads this, I'm just curious what your "right now" experience is. Where are you? What is your plan? And have you already rushed in and tried to find out everything you can about the movie already? Or are you, like me, hiding out so that whatever comes is as much of a surprise as possible.

I'm just waiting patiently. We've had practice.

There is the Disney aspect to things — they do love to produce plastic junk (which is pretty off-putting for me). But whatever else one might say about Cameron, he makes decent movies. I personally think it would be hard for this to exceed the impact of A1, but one never knows with him. I still expect a good—and probably very popular—film.

I only went to see the first movie in the first place because I read the NYT article about Paul Frommer and the Na'vi language, which is a peculiar reason to see a movie. And the only film I've seen in theaters since the Covidities started is Black Adam (mostly because I did conlang work on it). So I'm a weird judge of movies compared to bigger film fans.

Edit: despite the official, sophisticated cynicism about A1 (it had no impact, Ferngully, etc., etc.) the popularity of the trailer in such a short time suggests lots of people ignore the cynics, even if they're not hardcore fans.

Ricardo

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on November 02, 2022, 10:18:24 AM
If anybody reads this, I'm just curious what your "right now" experience is. Where are you? What is your plan? And have you already rushed in and tried to find out everything you can about the movie already? Or are you, like me, hiding out so that whatever comes is as much of a surprise as possible.

I'm in that wildly mixed phase where I'm not actively looking for information and want to go into the movie as unspoilered as possible, but I'm also so happy after a dozen years of waiting to be able to share thoughts with others that the internet has already told me a lot about characters, possible plots, etc. The info is also coming from all directions at the moment. Movie previews, Lego sets, toys, comics, books, and so on.

Still, I think that now that the trailer is out, we have been shown a thing or two, but don't necessarily know that much more than a year ago when we got info about certain characters returning. That's because the new trailer shows a little bit of WHAT there is to see, but not so much HOW it happens, and I'm guessing that's exactly what won't be revealed until the movie opens. The trailer is actually very ambiguous and even seemingly contradicts some rumors that have been around.
So the bottom line for me is that the film will probably go in the direction that has been speculated for years and that it probably won't take a surprisingly very different turn.
So I'm assuming that a movie that lasts about 3 hours will still deliver enough new stuff that no one is expecting at this point.

Toliman

Txantsan' Looks great :)

Quote from: wm.annis on November 02, 2022, 11:26:12 AM
Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on November 02, 2022, 10:18:24 AMIf anybody reads this, I'm just curious what your "right now" experience is. Where are you? What is your plan? And have you already rushed in and tried to find out everything you can about the movie already? Or are you, like me, hiding out so that whatever comes is as much of a surprise as possible.

I'm just waiting patiently. We've had practice.
Completely this :)

Tirea Aean

It was magnificent :')

Wow. I don't even think I have words enough.

Toliman

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 02, 2022, 05:05:25 PM

Yeah, really magnificent :)

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 02, 2022, 05:05:25 PM

Do you have any Na'vi words to translate the trailer? :P
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Eanikran

don't mind me, crawling out of the woodwork when the trailer drops  ;D

Tìtstewan

Finally, the trailer is up. :D
I'm trying to not see too much of Avatar 2 content before it is finally visible in the cinemas. Obviously, it will be difficult. :P :ikran:

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Toliman

Quote from: Tìtstewan on November 03, 2022, 12:24:37 AM
I'm trying to not see too much of Avatar 2 content before it is finally visible in the cinemas. Obviously, it will be difficult. :P :ikran:
Then good luck, it's super difficult ;D

jakesullyjr

those who'd identify as the PC crowd would normally has a very strong reaction against this,
so I think Cameroon has done an excellent job keeping things under wraps let's not ruin  this for him.