New race of Na'vi

Started by Hufwe ta'em, November 09, 2010, 01:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekirä

Quote from: Truro (Tìvawm'ia) on November 15, 2010, 04:04:53 PM
Hehe... most people won't like my suggestion - which is to have them have a little layer of blubber similar to whales and sea lions here on earth if they're that far north. Thus far there have been no furry creatures on Pandora... which sort of leads me to believe that trend may be "global" >.>

Hehehe a Na'vi with fur sounds like a furry X3 they already look like kitties...

I know but I think it'd be awesome. ^.^ It's true about the fur, although they do have a good head of hair.....so Pandora isn't a completely hairless environment. :D And I'd love to see where they get their feathers from. :P

Human No More

More likely they'd just wear more :P
Even humans who have lived in arctic environments for generations have primarily social and psychological adaptations rather than physical.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Seykxetskxe te Vawm 'Ewan'ite (Kalin Kato)

Furry Na'vi! :3 But, for some reason, made me think of Sully from Monsters Inc. :P Haha Sully....Jake Sully....Blue.... :P

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

archaic

Quote from: Ekirä te Kalìtu Suru'ite on November 15, 2010, 04:15:52 PM
And I'd love to see where they get their feathers from. :P

Yeah, I wondered about that too, I also wondered if they where traded for stuff with tawtute.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

ToktorGrace

I think the ornamental clothing is made of different plants that look similar to feathers, not actually feathers... (will find this in the ASG whenever I get the chance)
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Ekirä

Quote from: Truro (Tìvawm'ia) on November 16, 2010, 04:16:21 PM
I think the ornamental clothing is made of different plants that look similar to feathers, not actually feathers... (will find this in the ASG whenever I get the chance)
It's possible, here's a pic of Neytiri's feathers....

Human No More

Some Na'vi arrows use feathers too, it's most obvious on the ones Eytukan uses and some of Neytiri's.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

the arrows in the survival guide also have feathers as well.

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Eyamsiyu

I hate to say this... but I think in a couple of other threads it had been said that the ASG was not a dependable source.  Granted, I don't remember all the details behind the assumption.  I KNOW it was said that it wasn't for the language, but I don't remember as far as the other content in it.

As for the topic, the Na'vi who would live up north would probably just wear more clothing..  We already know that Neytiri wore chaps for riding her ikran, something that looks somewhat similar to pants.  I would think that because of that, the Na'vi would have something similar for keeping their legs warm, as well as some sort of vest to keep their chest area warm as well.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

ToktorGrace

Seems like the Na'vi like to make use of what is abundant around them. Given that I didn't see a single shot of ANY feathered creatures on Pandora (but a number of feathery-looking-plants) I'll extend logic and say that it is unlikely that they are using feathers as we know them.

_More to the Topic at hand_

True there isn't that much adaptation in humans but there is some -- People in the Andes mountains typically have a VERY different body-type than, say, the Masai. It would also depend on how long ago migration patterns were, and how isolated the Na'vi typically are from one another (tribe-wise). Isolation usually leads to more specialization evolutionarily.
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Zhäki

I actually would love to see how the Na'vi live in other climates - the pandoran version of Inuit would be a fascinating culture!

Syaron

Maybe there were no shots of actual feathered creatures but Netyrir, Jake, and much of the 'olo apparently are wearing feathers of some sort. At the very beginning of the movie, the Colonel mentions of the Na'vi "they are fond of arrows dipped in a neurotoxin that will stop your heart in one minute". The arrows are seen sticking out of the big earth moving equipment and in shots when they are protecting Hometree.The feathers on their arrows are black and yellow banded or blue and yellow banded. In several scenes Neytiri is wearing a feathered necklace with a pendant like feather that is black and fuschia or pinl...very much like the "war bonnet" plant. I have made many pairs of earrings like these feathers by painting yellow and blue duck pointer feathers. For the pendant I have used pink dyed and hand painted black peacock feathers. I can get really close to the "real" thing.

Native Erta people use anything at hand. My Native American ancesters even made use of items left on the trail or traded to them by the white invaders. They used tobacco can lids for jingles on their clothes, beads instead of porcupine quills, and metal from trade to make knives that lasted longer than flint. The lids for jingles can be bought today already shaped for use on Jingle Dresses often seen at modern day Pow Wows.

I have wondered if the ear gage Neytiri has in her left ear is maybe a decoration made formmetal found after the equipment moved on....They don't seem to have metal working yet.

Syaron
Shara

Lahea Te Ketuwong Tarnahì'ite

About arctic sort of Na'vi... I thing it's very possible that they will have a little bit more hair than e.g. Omaticaya.
I'm a highlander and I have to say, that I'm much more ''hairy'' than other people, even the same country as mine...
Oeyä swizaw nìngay tivakuk
Oeyä tukrul txe'lanit tivakuk
Oeri tìngayìl txe'lanit tivakuk
Oeyä txe'lan livu ngay.

My BLOG

Eanikran

Quote from: Lahea Atxkxeftu on December 05, 2010, 06:25:33 PM
About arctic sort of Na'vi... I thing it's very possible that they will have a little bit more hair than e.g. Omaticaya.
I'm a highlander and I have to say, that I'm much more ''hairy'' than other people, even the same country as mine...
0.o

Anyway, I actually hope not to see a new species of Na'vi (though thats a little off, cause the Na'vi are themselves a species ::)). but I'm sure there will be more creatures and environments, for example like Lolet said, maybe polar regions on Pandora? also, maybe more into the Ikran tribe of the eastern sea... ;) ::)

Human No More

Quote from: Lahea Atxkxeftu on December 05, 2010, 06:25:33 PM
That's not environmental, it's based on genetic history. I have DNA from various places, most of them cold, and I'm less so than most people.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

Tsteu aw

One of the theory's behind evolution, which is a fact, is that the environment drives the genetics. So the fact that the guy is hairy is based on genetics, but the genetics or his ancestors is based on adaptations that could show that people who are harrier, survive in that environment better, hence that gene is passed on more. So while it is genetics , it is genetics driven by nature and the environment. Man this world, our earth, our home is crazy huh.= kind of off topic i know. My first post.

archaic

Quote from: Syaron on November 22, 2010, 12:18:24 PM

I have wondered if the ear gage Neytiri has in her left ear is maybe a decoration made formmetal found after the equipment moved on....They don't seem to have metal working yet.

I'm pretty sure this isn't Na'vi culture, but human.
Neytiri spent some time at graces school, we don't know how long, only that she was one of the best students, so plenty of contact with avatars, and presumably contact with humans as well.
No one we see in the movie has anything like this, so some one close to the Na'vi, but no longer around.
One name springs to mind immediately, Hegner.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Eyawng te Klltepayu

I disagree. I don't think this is an impingement of human culture. I think the ear gauge is made from something like nacre.
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

I always thought it would be quite interesting for Cameron to create some more animals that are much like our mythlike creatures. [for example; ikran= wyvern (dragon with only two legs)]
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.