Yard sale of the future (2024)

Started by Toruk Makto, March 30, 2011, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

cnn.com's view of a yard sale from 2024.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/03/found_yardsale

See the BR in the corner of the box?   ;)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Ekirä

Awesome. ;D

I like on The Silmarillion:

"It's Weta's finest hour. Or finest four hours, I guess." --NY Times

nawma skxawng

How can someone sell avatar 3 for 5 dollars?!?!??!?????!

[url=http://j.mp/USEastLN][img]http://j.mp/e2FA8X[/img][/url]

'Awvea ultxari ohengeyä, nawma sa'nok lrrtok siveiyi

Nyx

How bad is it that I want all this stuff? ;D I mean, Avatar.. LED wallpaper.. Gimme!

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: nawma skxawng on March 30, 2011, 01:33:32 PM

Keep in mind this is some 8-9 years after the game comes out...

BTW it could sell for an average of $1.67 because it's 3 discs for $5 :o

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Swoka Ikran

I saw this today when I went to read Wired (as I do everyday...). I started laughing...and I was in a packed computer lab on campus...

I'd be happy to pick up the BD of Avatar 3 for $5...if I can still find a player for it. Chances are they'll be using "UVDisc" or "GammaDisc" by then :P ...if they even still use physical discs (I imagine they would to some extent...).
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 01:05:25 PM
Awesome. ;D

I like on The Silmarillion:

"It's Weta's finest hour. Or finest four hours, I guess." --NY Times

Fì'u! ;D Oh my god, how great a Silmarillion adaptation would be! *______* I also like the fact that it's part VII and lasts 4 hours. hrh :P

The Avatar III cover looks very cool. :)

DJ Makto

HRH thats a hoot to see. That's the second time Avatar was featured in that section on Wired .  ;D

Stranger Come Knocking

;D Niiiice one.  But if they're making a point about today's new technology being worthless in the future, why are the sellers still using paper and boxes and markers to sell everything?  :P
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Le'eylan

WOU! :D I just can't wait for the following movies....
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

archaic

Because Avatar3 was the first movie in history that everyone on the planet purchased. Everyone knows that!
Seven point one billion copies later, every one has it. So who's going to waste their money on a potentially damaged copy, when every store stocks new copies?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Eana Tanhì

Quote from: archaic on April 01, 2011, 04:45:36 PM

Because Avatar3 was the first movie in history that everyone on the planet purchased. Everyone knows that!
Seven point one billion copies later, every one has it. So who's going to waste their money on a potentially damaged copy, when every store stocks new copies?
yeah, how could you not know that :P

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 30, 2011, 02:03:44 PM
I saw this today when I went to read Wired (as I do everyday...). I started laughing...and I was in a packed computer lab on campus...

I'd be happy to pick up the BD of Avatar 3 for $5...if I can still find a player for it. Chances are they'll be using "UVDisc" or "GammaDisc" by then :P ...if they even still use physical discs (I imagine they would to some extent...).

I was there when

Beta Died
VHS Died
LD Died
LP Died
CD Died
LP Was Reborn
UMD Was born
Blu-Ray was Born
Cassette Died
Holographic data storage was still theoretical.

I have no idea what companies will survive the current economic times, but the fewer of them competing, means the less of them innovating.

I fully suspect I will still be watching Blu-Ray in 2024...  As I was still watching VHS in 2006...
私は太った男だ。

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Txur'Itan on April 01, 2011, 05:22:33 PM
I fully suspect I will still be watching Blu-Ray in 2024...  As I was still watching VHS in 2006...
Won't surprise me if we are.

Speaking of VHS...I still watch them on occasion (got a whole rack of them in my closet). Schools are also still heavily using VCRs. Last year in 12th grade, we must've watched at least 30 videos on VHS.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

archaic

Typed "X-ray laser media" into Google, got http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_laser
Nothing about when XD will be out.

I guess it'll all be what ever replaces flash media by then, or online.

Dalva

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 30, 2011, 02:03:44 PM

i thought of Holographic Disc.
actually i discovered the concept of holographic disc on my own, though after few browsing i noticed that the concept has already existed. i was writing with red marker, writing a lot of stuff in one small page, and i ran out of space. then the idea comes into mind --> what if i use blue ink and write ontop of the paper, overlaying the red ink? so i do that and i still can read both. that means double the information in the same data space.
now imagine doing that in a piece of disk, and adding the color Green. a write/rewrite drive would have like 6 heads. 3 heads for RGB write, 3 heads for RGB read. each is only sensitive to it's own predefined wavelength, so you can have 3 color overlays on one disc. that basically triples the data storage capacity on a single disc. currently the best blu-ray would store like, what, 100GB? if say, holography is used on blu-ray, then the capacity would be 300 GB.

Human No More

Because it's a bluray, and they just got their copy in 20k resolution :D
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

archaic

Was that the 15th anniversary edition, re-rendered in extremely high definition from the original performance capture data?

Dalva

Quote from: archaic on April 05, 2011, 03:08:36 PM
Was that the 15th anniversary edition, re-rendered in extremely high definition from the original performance capture data?
19200x10800px LOL!  ;D