Neytiri and Jake's child

Started by Ean Hufwetulyu, June 03, 2010, 06:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What gender will Jake and Neytiri's be?

girl ('ite)
boy ('itan)
girl and boy ('ite ulte 'itan)

Lolet

I'd feel sorry for Neytiri if they couldn't... I imagine children are pretty important to the Nvi.

Ean Hufwetulyu

oe mllte family is one of the core factors in the Na'vi culture
Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Ean Hufwetulyu

Boy or Girl or if it possible mulitple children

Human No More

The avatars aren't hybrids in the current sense of the term, the DNA is almost entirely Na'vi... I'd say that at the very most, the child may have five fingers, eyebrows or smaller eyes, although I'd say that overall, they're still more likely to have normal Na'vi features.

On the other hand, I've thought about the markings before... if they are genetic, Jake's markings are different to most of the other Na'vi ones (as are Grace's and Norm's), maybe the child's will resemble his partly.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ean Hufwetulyu

Human No More

I mean that we don't know how the markings form... if they form randomly or are based on the DNA (I think more likely the latter, since all the omaticaya seem to have similar ones, while Jake's are different, and Norm's and Grace's are different again)... If they are genetic, then Jake and Neytiri's child would have half od Jake's DNA and half of Neytiri's so his/her markings might end up being somewhere between each's in similarity.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ean Hufwetulyu

mllte tsmuk Jake sì Neytiriyä 'eveng lu (unique) 
pehem lu 'eveng syaw?
Oe 'efu po lu syaw tanhì ;D

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Quote from: Ean Hufwetulyu on August 30, 2010, 10:16:53 AM
mllte tsmuk Jake sì Neytiriyä 'eveng lu (unique) 
pehem lu 'eveng syaw?
Oe 'efu po lu syaw tanhì ;D

go over to the na'vi ni'aw boards you wanker... or atleast put in a translation... some of us are to damn lazy to look up the words...  I get the general gist of it but geese, come on, have pity on us sawtute.

(only read to page 5, sorry)anyway. to get back on topic.  I read earlier that the na'vi don't go of of Ribonucleic acids???  In my opinion, this means they shouldn't have even been able to splice genes together at all.  hell, even if they don't use the same material, how do we know if they even spiral in the same direction... or for that matter use a helical build anyway?

However, I do have to agree that even if they did to splicing and that, the DNA(or whatever they use) Is almost entirely Na'vi due to the fact of how the Avatars more resemble the na'vi than the humans INMO.  With this in mind, there would be barely anything noticable in their children that would distinguish them as anything much more than na'vi.  Besides, even if they were to be a little different, he's FCKING Toruk Makto!!! people won't really give a shi*.  Besides, I would think the na'vi would be above something like that.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Dreamlight

Yeah, that means their children would have two Toruk Maktos in the last five generations (including Neytiri's ancestor).  That's prestige.  :D
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Ean Hufwetulyu

Ean Hufwetulyu

Quote from: Dreamlight on September 03, 2010, 01:16:27 AM
Yeah, that means their children would have two Toruk Maktos in the last five generations (including Neytiri's ancestor).  That's prestige.  :D

true or they will be palulukan maktos

Kerame Pxel Nume

About the splicing thing: DNA is not simply a blueprint for the final organism. It's more like a computer program, that controls the sequence in which certain parts grow, form out and so on. Assuming that the same principle holds for alien organic life it should be feasible to translate our DNA's programming into the code of alien biochemistry. In the same way it's possible to translate computer programs from one architecture to another (which is the way, modern emulators work like).

We're just beginning to understand the way, DNA and biochemistry work. But looking at the huge knowledge we gained in little over 40 years of genetic research, I'd say that in 100 years we should have a very clear understanding of our biochemistry.

Meynari Ke'nawm

I just had a weird thought. . . What if the child was a mutation (like it had five fingers on one hand and four on the other, or had and extra queue).  .   . After all, everyone knows what happens when you play "God" and mess with genetics.
>:(

GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
PADD: Watch out...
Officially the youngest member... so far...

Ean Hufwetulyu

that is a possible theory but i think since Na'vi and tawtute dna are closely related. the female reproductive system might sort any generic abnormalies. i think

Human No More

Quote from: Meynari on November 05, 2010, 11:44:02 PM
I just had a weird thought. . . What if the child was a mutation (like it had five fingers on one hand and four on the other, or had and extra queue).  .   . After all, everyone knows what happens when you play "God" and mess with genetics.
>:(

Having 5 fingers/toes may happen or may not... A second queue wouldn't because that isn't coded for in the avatar :P
Either way, with only Jake (and eventually Norm and the other avatar drivers, I guess) introducing human DNA, even if any avatar-like features were prevalent in their children, they would be lost over time as they would get diluted with only a 50% chance of them being passed on if their other parent was Na'vi, then if any children inherited an avatar-like feature, there's only a 50% chance THEY will pass it on, not considering things like codominance which may make it a bit more complicated, but they would still be bred out over time due to the relative gene pool size.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

ToktorGrace

As said above, I think there may be some unìltirontokx genes lingering in the first generation or two, but I imagine it would be a rarity after a few generations (granted, how do we know which is dominant/recessive? guess we won't learn that for a while, if ever). Either way it'd be bred out pretty quickly, and would about as likely (or less) for a Na'vi to have an extra finger as it would be for for an African American to have blue eyes - its not impossible, but very rare.

As for mutations -- I am rather unsure of what the offspring might end up looking like of a Na'vi and Avatar, though I am sure some oddities would turn up (given that humans have 46 chromosomes and Na'vi have ? ) it probably wouldn't match up perfectly, and if Jake himself isn't sterile, biologically, his children will probably end up being so :P (I'm sure Cameron will invent a way around this, but unless Na'vi have the same 46 I doubt it would result in future generations as most hybrids, even closely related ones, often are sterile).
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Human No More

Well, the avatars aren't true hybrids. They are far closer to Na'vi, just modified genetically to have 5 fingers and toes so the avatar drivers find them easier to learn, and the other physical differences (eyes, eyebrows, body shape) are likely a result of the avatar driver's DNA where it is added to make them neurally compatible, especially as these seem to vary between Avatars (Jake's being the most Na'vi, Grace's having a human nose, Norm's being somewhere in between). They would still retain the Na'vi DNA in terms of its structure and chromosome count and as such, would still be fertile.
edit: typo.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Human No More on November 08, 2010, 10:13:08 PM
Well, the avatars aren't true hybrids. They are far closer to Na'vi, just modified genetically to have 5 fingers and toes so the avatar drivers find them easier to learn, and the other physical differences (eyes, eyebrows, body shape) are likely a result of the avatar driver's DNA where it is added to make them neurally compatible, especialyl as these same to vary between Avatars (Jake's being the most Na'vi, Grace's having a human nose, Norm's being somewhere in between). They would still retain the Na'vi DNA in terms of its structure and chromosome count and as such, would still be fertile.

True... I read int he ASG (however canonical we want to consider it) that the Avatars had 5 digits on hands and feet, eyebrows and other dissimilarities in comparison to the Na'vi simply because otherwise their genetic make-up wouldnt be similar enough to maintain theneural link.  These differences though, despite them being more Na'vi than Human, still makes me question the "inner workings" or physiology of the Na'vi vs. Avatars. I mean, one small, very visible physical difference can account for enormous differences between two species. And considering that Na'vi evolved completely separately from Terran creatures, their genetic makeup would be vastly different than our own - I'm going to have to let that little bit of information go, or I'll go crazy XD

(I would imagine that it would be hard to breed if reproductive systems aren't the same, after all even creatures very similar to each other can't crossbreed... but I guess since its science fiction its something I will have to just assume is not important)
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Human No More

Some creatures that are genetically close can crossbreed although the offspring is almost always sterile, but the genetic difference between two species is far larger than that between even the two most different individuals in a single species.
An analogy would be if you genetically modified a human to give them blue skin (say, replacing melanin with a different pigment), they would still be able to reproduce, the modification may or not be passed on but as their DNA is fundamentally the same, they would still be fertile.
(I wish I had blue skin :( )

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

My honest guess in this matter pertaining to a Child of Neytiri and Jake:
The child will be born in some way we obviously dont know yet...Although I doubt it will start as a "seed."
However, the child will be born, have five fingers as Jakes DNA will most likely be the dominant gene choice.
Could be a boy or a girl. IMHO it will be a boy.

I believe that part of the New Movie will wrap around the Child and the years it grows.
The childs place among the Na'vi, I doubt the child will be shunned because its the spawn of Jake.
Jake IS the savior of the Na'vi so they will most likely honor the child.
Jake and Neytiri will teach the child, raise him/her to be a warrior.

things like this would make the Sequel so very interesting and new.
New life, new purpose, new customs and culture as to how children are born, raised and brought up in the Na'vi culture.
How exciting would it be to learn completely new material on the Na'vi culture! Set in Stone by the Sequel!
Not to mention the third Movie! I believe they will give us a taste of the Na'vi way of life more so than we saw in the first film.

Im getting carried away, sorry lol.
Thoughts?

NotW#82