Started by Ean Hufwetulyu, June 03, 2010, 06:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What gender will Jake and Neytiri's be?

girl ('ite)
boy ('itan)
girl and boy ('ite ulte 'itan)

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Amaya on January 06, 2011, 08:09:22 PM

In any case, back to the actual topic, I wonder if Neytiri would end up having twins?  Or if the Na'vi even have such a thing as twinning...

Or wait! Even BETTER.... LITTERS!! (Like a bunch of kittens..) I'm rather sure that isnt it, but it'd be pretty adorable. (Jake would lose it though haha).
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Amaya

*snort*

Ney: *pats tummy* "I've felt at least four movements, ma Jhake, although sometimes there have been known as many as six babies after such a loss of life
Jake: *chokes* s...six? *faints*

Human No More

I really wish people wouldn't try to make the Na'vi seem 'animal' :( - they are sentient beings that are better than humans in every single way.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Human No More on January 09, 2011, 10:53:59 AM
I really wish people wouldn't try to make the Na'vi seem 'animal' :( - they are sentient beings that are better than humans in every single way.
And what about that the Na'vi four fingers and humans have five fingers, or is it just something you get used too????
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Eyamsiyu

Besides if the idea of "litters" was true, then why wasn't Neytiri part of a "triplet?"

I think that there would only be one kid.  The question of fingers will be quite odd to figure out the answer to, though.  However, I would bet that the kid will have only 4 fingers, as I am hypothesizing that five fingers on a hand will end up becoming a recessive gene of some sort.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on January 09, 2011, 11:58:25 AM

Besides if the idea of "litters" was true, then why wasn't Neytiri part of a "triplet?"

I think that there would only be one kid.  The question of fingers will be quite odd to figure out the answer to, though.  However, I would bet that the kid will have only 4 fingers, as I am hypothesizing that five fingers on a hand will end up becoming a recessive gene of some sort!

Your theory about five fingers becoming a recessive gene makes sense! I guess I also see things the same way. Because if the child does have five fingers, then this means there would be great chances that her/his own children also have the same, and then that could bring a pretty massive undesirable chain reaction of five fingers among the Na'vi. :o I honestly don't think one single different Na'vi would bring such modifications in the future physiological development of the race.

So many details Cameron is going to have to consider.. ;D He has a bunch of very attentive followers who are going to analyze everything. hrh

Amaya

JOKE, ma tsmukan, it was a JOKE!  If you look up to Truro's comment above you'll see that both she and I were taking a rather silly tangent, so please, mawey!

ToktorGrace

The litters thing was totally a joke  ::)  Im rather sure they don't given that they have "1-3 offspring" total.

And Na'vi are just as animal as humans... I consider everyone, myself included animals.
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 09, 2011, 03:19:26 PM

I think that there would only be one kid.  The question of fingers will be quite odd to figure out the answer to, though.  However, I would bet that the kid will have only 4 fingers, as I am hypothesizing that five fingers on a hand will end up becoming a recessive gene of some sort!

Your theory about five fingers becoming a recessive gene makes sense! I guess I also see things the same way. Because if the child does have five fingers, then this means there would be great chances that her/his own children also have the same, and then that could bring a pretty massive undesirable chain reaction of five fingers among the Na'vi. :o I honestly don't think one single different Na'vi would bring such modifications in the future physiological development of the race.

So many details Cameron is going to have to consider.. ;D He has a bunch of very attentive followers who are going to analyze everything. hrh
Yeah, I'm thinking more and more like a pure Na'vi over the generations, with an occasional recessive popping up here or there.  But for first generation Jake and Neytiri's kids, 4 fingers and toes, medium sized eyes and maybe very faint eyebrows.  It just seems like a good compromise.  We wouldn't get to see the adult version unless movie 3 is in the farish future (not a happy thought), but for some reason I would guess built a little more obviously muscular like an avatar, as well.  Just a thought.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Human No More

Quote from: Truro (Tìvawm'ia) on January 09, 2011, 05:00:08 PM

The litters thing was totally a joke  ::)  Im rather sure they don't given that they have "1-3 offspring" total.

And Na'vi are just as animal as humans... I consider everyone, myself included animals.
Sorry, bad wording. I meant 'nonsentient animal'.

If it's recessive then no other Na'vi at all will have five fingers since a single source of a recessive gene means the recessive trait will be completely bred out within a few generations. Even if it is dominant, then there is only a 50% chance of it being passed on each time (due to the single source) and the much large Na'vi gene pool will breed it out again within a few generations maximum.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Amaya

Quote from: Human No More on January 13, 2011, 02:22:54 AM

If it's recessive then no other Na'vi at all will have five fingers since a single source of a recessive gene means the recessive trait will be completely bred out within a few generations. Even if it is dominant, then there is only a 50% chance of it being passed on each time (due to the single source) and the much large Na'vi gene pool will breed it out again within a few generations maximum.

That's assuming, though, that there will be only the one incidence of mating between an avatar and a true Na'vi.  Remember, there are a number of other avatars remaining at Hell's Gate after the rest of the humans leave, at least two that we see standing in the line of those overseeing the evacuation, and there's no reason to think that there would not be the possibility of one or both of those avatars, with the renewed openness of relations with the indiginous population, coming to find a life-mate among the Omatikaya or any other clan. (of course there's no reason to presume there would be a mating but equally no reason not to) in which case the possible genetic pool for a recessive gene would be larger, and the possibility of the trait showing up randomly after some generations would be much higher.  Still infinitesimal in the overall population, of course, but larger.

archaic

Not counting Norm, I made it four avatars, including one female. Plus Jake.

We don't know what happened to Norm's avatar, if it is savable or not.

When Jake ran across the avatar compound earlier,  I counted Norm, Jake and Grace, plus eleven other avatars, including two females.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Amaya

Quote from: archaic on January 13, 2011, 05:49:12 AM
Not counting Norm, I made it four avatars, including one female. Plus Jake.

We don't know what happened to Norm's avatar, if it is savable or not.

When Jake ran across the avatar compound earlier,  I counted Norm, Jake and Grace, plus eleven other avatars, including two females.

Ah, thank you for doublechecking, I was watching an episode of Bones (hate the characterization, quite enjoy the mysteries, which is why I watch half the show with the mute button on until they're talking about things relevant to the case, but I digress) so I didn't have the time to fuss with finding the scene on my DVD copy.  I knew it was probably more than two but I only could picture in my mind one male and one female  :D so I was understating rather than overstating.  Especially since we don't know for sure that all of the avatar drivers elected to stay on-planet (although I don't know why they wouldn't, as I can guess that having an avatar is a fairly addictive thing and one would not likely chose to give it up if given the option not to).  I agree also on the second count, there were at least eleven individual avatars, possibly more, if you take into account differences in clothing, although given that they seem to have changed for sleep (or did they?) then we can't take that as a guarantee.

Edit:  Actually, I went back and doublechecked on a really slow playthrough and if you make the assumption that we don't see the second woman in the run-through (I really looked carefully and it seemed like everyone had the wide vee-shaped shoulders of males) then the conservative count for avatars in that scene would be twelve.  When I get a little more time I'll re-hook up my bluray player (got a new hdmi cable thinking to get better reception but the damned thing was low quality and only transmits 480p which, shockingly enough, won't let me watch anything from my player... >:( ) and run through the scene with better clarity, just in case I'm missing some small blue moving forms in the background

Edit the second:  Because I'm a horrible procrastinator I took the time to hook up the Blu-ray player with the stupid av cable again and reviewed the scene, and when I did I realized I hadn't started my slow, meticulous viewing quite early enough.  When Jake first opens the door to the outside there are three folks in full-length khaki visble in the distance, so that would have increased the count to 15, except that the pair talking in front of the cabin at the very end of the running scene were clearer in the BD version (wow, big shock ::) ) so I was able to see that one of them was a woman.  So assuming then that we've seen both women in the run-through scene, we can't count the second woman in the bed-scene as an additional avatar we haven't seen before, so that puts our count at 14.

Yes, I am slightly obsessive about details, how did you ever notice? *blinks innocently*

archaic

I missed the three in the distance because I'd thought it was an amp suit (I have only DVD)
I saw, in order that I saw them .....

1 Norm. Lying on gurney, wearing a medical gown
2 Jake. Lying on gurney, wearing a medical gown
3 Male. Waiting to start the assault course, sand colored top/brown shorts
4 Male. Playing basket ball, topless/brown shorts
&
5 Female. Playing basket ball, brown top/khaki shorts
6 Male. Under and over parallel bars, khaki top/sand colored shorts
&
7 Male. About to start the course, khaki top/ brown shorts
3 again. Now on the parallel logs.
(There is a continuity error here, but we won't talk about that.)
8 Male. Lands on crash mat, topless/brown shorts
9 Male? Climbing rope wall, sand colored top/brown shorts
10 Male? Coming over the top of the rope wall, dark colored top/dark colored shorts
11 Grace. Coming to see Jake? Brown 'STANFORD' crop top/sand colored shorts
&
12 Male. Descending hut steps, sand colored pants/sand colored shirt
13 Male. Inside hut, khaki top
&
14 Female. Inside hut, sand colored top

So, is that plus another three, or are the three in full length khaki the same as the three inside/leaving the hut I wonder?

Quote from: Amaya on January 13, 2011, 06:07:56 AM
Yes, I am slightly obsessive about details,
Erm, yeah, me too. *blinks innocently*

Amaya

that seems to pretty much line up with what I saw (discounting the fact that the shorts and Grace's "Stanford" top are wine-coloured, not brown), and the three in full-length khaki wouldn't be the same as the three in the hut (one could be the same but not the other two) because the last male and female had a short-sleeved top and a tanktop respectively, so I would say then that including Grace, Norm and Jake's avatars we have a conservative estimate of 17-18 avatars, any one of which (well besides Jake and Grace for obvious reasons) could be a secondary contributing genetic donor for "avatar-type" characteristics such as the extra digits, brow-hair or lower-placed tswin.

ToktorGrace

I've read in several places that there have been 20 Avatars made in total. I have a feeling that not every single one is active, and I would not be surprised if there had been some earlier casualties :P

But yeah, if we are looking for a number, there is a possible 18 Avatars left on Pandora after the fact (I am subtracting Grace and Norm's Avatars from the equation).

archaic

Hang on, if twenty have been made, I saw fourteen, Amaya another three, that's seventeen, so there's three not accounted for.

Hegner's got eaten, but that's not necessary cannon.

I wonder where they are, or what happened too them.
What happens to a perfectly healthy avatar if it's driver dies?

Also there are ten bunks in the hut, and another structure that might be a second bunk house. With another ten bunks?

Eyamsiyu

Well, an avatar is still a living thing, but since it lacks the consciousness of the driver, it's about as alive as a vegetable.  With no mind to tell it to eat, it would eventually die... :(

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

archaic

ToktorGrace

Quote from: archaic on January 13, 2011, 11:01:49 AM
Hang on, if twenty have been made, I saw fourteen, Amaya another three, that's seventeen, so there's three not accounted for.

Hegner's got eaten, but that's not necessary cannon.

I wonder where they are, or what happened too them.
What happens to a perfectly healthy avatar if it's driver dies?

Also there are ten bunks in the hut, and another structure that might be a second bunk house. With another ten bunks?

There are many explanations as to why we don't see all 20 in the movie.

Maybe some had dont their 6 year rotation and are no longer active.
Some may be inactive (asleep) during the shot where we all counted Avatars.
Some may have died (there are a lot of dangerous plants and animals and Grace talks about Jake not surviving as if she's seen it happen before)

(and I suspect dehydration would cause death long before starvation...)