Why sequels suck...

Started by Txontaw, December 28, 2010, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txontaw

So I've been doing some research into why sequels always seem to suck so bad. Obviously there are a few exceptions, such as LotR, Back to the Future, and Toy Story. But why are those so good, where the rest are godawful?

The first key point is greed. If a movie does well, the investors get money. Everybody wants more money, so they'll back up a sequel to get more money. There is no passion in a sequel spawned by greed. It's like marrying a person for their money. This spawns a movie that is total and utter garbage, because a movie without passion cannot succeed. You need someone to really care about the movie. If it's just a job that needs to get done to the filmmakers, there's really no way that it can work. The movie will feel like just another day at work.

The second key point is story. This is what most sequels lack that the movies I named above don't. Usually, when the filmmakers are done with a movie, they're done. They ship it off to the theaters and start on their next project. If they get called back to shoot a sequel, it's like shooting an entirely new movie. They're starting off at the beginning again. It feels like two different movies... there's a disconnect between the first and the second. In a successful sequel, such as LotR, it feels like one really long movie, and you can watch them one after another without getting bored of the story. The same thing happens with good TV shows; it feels like a story that just keeps going. If there's that gap between segments, it'll get boring quick. You can't connect with it as well.

So, where does this put Avatar? Avatar fulfills the first requirement hands down. This story has been James Cameron's dream project for fifteen years. He really cares about the story, and he wants to give everyone the best movie he can.

As for the second requirement, it really depends. There's no way to really know whether he'll pull it off, but I would say that if he plays his cards right, it'll be really easy for him to put out a really good sequel. But if this fails, the entire thing will go down the drain.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Txontaw on December 28, 2010, 09:07:26 PMAs for the second requirement, it really depends. There's no way to really know whether he'll pull it off, but I would say that if he plays his cards right, it'll be really easy for him to put out a really good sequel. But if this fails, the entire thing will go down the drain.

I agree with both of the aspects you've discussed and, just like you, I believe Avatar is out of danger regarding the aspect of greed.

Concerning the quality of the story, well, Cameron said himself that he had planned sequel ideas for the case of a huge success with Avatar, so I believe he knows where he's heading to. :) It's true, though, that it could easily be disastrous if he did screw up.

archaic

Cameron is good at sequels, and seemingly limitless imagination, creativity and drive, plus he's a total perfectionist, If any one out there can make this work it's him.

Or he could use my script if he get's writers block. ;)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Carborundum

My inner LotR-geek forces me to point out that tLotR does not have any sequels.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Quote from: Carborundum on December 29, 2010, 10:05:53 AM
HRH, yeah it's all one story. ::)

I think he'll do fine, most of his popular ones are sequels. ;D

Eyamsiyu

Not a big LotR fan, but I agree. :)

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on December 29, 2010, 10:15:54 AM

Not a big LotR fan, but I agree. :)

hehe I agree, too! ;D But I think we all understand the point Txontaw was trying to make (;

It's true that Cameron seems to be good at sequels :) It's kind of encouraging!

Txontaw

Which is my point exactly.

It is one big story, which is what makes it so good.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

'Tsamsiyu

I'm sure I read or saw an interview with Cameron saying that he had already written a story arc for two sequels, or at least had two sequels worth of content to work on. This is often the problem with sequels. The first is a success and they try and add even more to the original by duct taping it on, so to speak.

On top of that, Jim is known for making sequels on par with, if not better, than the original, i.e Terminator, Aliens...

Nothing will stop me from seeing the sequels though!
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Lolet

Quote from: Hufwe Tsamsiyu on January 03, 2011, 03:21:24 PM
I'm sure I read or saw an interview with Cameron saying that he had already written a story arc for two sequels, or at least had two sequels worth of content to work on. This is often the problem with sequels. The first is a success and they try and add even more to the original by duct taping it on, so to speak.

On top of that, Jim is known for making sequels on par with, if not better, than the original, i.e Terminator, Aliens...

Nothing will stop me from seeing the sequels though!

If he was just going to pull the sequels out of thin air I probably wouldn't go see them, but since they'll probably be super awesome, I will.  ;D

Human No More

JC planned Avatar as a trilogy. There was never an intention to just make one, Avatar is nowhere near complete yet.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Lolet

It can't possibly end with just Jake's eyeballs!  ;D

Toruk Makto

HNM got it. This story arc has been paced as a trilogy since the beginning. The story is a given. The investment (20th C.Fox) is probably a given, with the showing the first film had.

I just want to see a lot more Na'vi language and culture built into the next one. These big blue people are too real to too many people not to have more information about them to be shared.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Markì on January 03, 2011, 11:41:32 PM
I just want to see a lot more Na'vi language and culture built into the next one. These big blue people are too real to too many people not to have more information about them to be shared.

Oeri nìteng :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on January 04, 2011, 02:29:22 AM

I completely agree! And I believe this has chances to really happen, since there will be no humans to take a big part of the film length and content (well, as far as we can guess since we don't know anything detailed about the storyline yet). Also, James Cameron is aware of the interest that the Na'vi language represents for many, and he might also even want to increase the amount of learners, so chances are we might see more Na'vi as well! :)

archaic

Maybe I'd be mega disappointing if there wasn't more Na'vi, but then it's a long way off. If we keep adding to the language as we are at present, we may not need the additional stuff for the language.

Then again, need it or not, I'd still be mega disappointed if it wasn't there.

Nasty thought, what if the Omatikaya get so hacked off with Jake abusing their language that they all just use ìngìisì? :o
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Lolet

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 04, 2011, 06:29:23 AM
Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on January 04, 2011, 02:29:22 AM

I completely agree! And I believe this has chances to really happen, since there will be no humans to take a big part of the film length and content (well, as far as we can guess since we don't know anything detailed about the storyline yet). Also, James Cameron is aware of the interest that the Na'vi language represents for many, and he might also even want to increase the amount of learners, so chances are we might see more Na'vi as well! :)

There's still the sawtute left behind, they'll probably be a big part of the story to attract more viewers.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Lolet on January 04, 2011, 06:33:57 PM
There's still the sawtute left behind, they'll probably be a big part of the story to attract more viewers.

You're talking about the RDA personnel that got expelled from pandora and not the scientists/Avatar drivers, kefyak?

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ikran Ahiyìk

Or would they make a family track..?
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on January 05, 2011, 01:36:05 AM
Quote from: Lolet on January 04, 2011, 06:33:57 PM

You're talking about the RDA personnel that got expelled from pandora and not the scientists/Avatar drivers, kefyak?

I hope not the first possibility. I don't wanna hear about the "bad" humans anymore :(