3 stars
9 (12.7%)
2 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 66

'Awve Tìkameie

I would appreciate feedback, I would like to get an Avatar related book.
My uncle's dog came over a little less than one week ago. I stupidly left the computer plug on the floor. That night, his dog chewed it up. So, the next morning, I go looking for the plug and I find a chewed up piece of metal. I sadly cannot purchase a new plug right now, and my computer's battery is out. I'm at my public library.

Also, I discovered this promising "small business" film company called Mirror Entertainment. It looks really promising: http://www.mirrorente

'Awve Tìkameie

I got the book Jan. 7th and I believe that not only is the book well-written, but it is possibly one of the best resources for everything Pandora, Alpha Centuri, RDA, Na'vi, and Earth 2154. I recommend it (it isn't in ebook format)
My uncle's dog came over a little less than one week ago. I stupidly left the computer plug on the floor. That night, his dog chewed it up. So, the next morning, I go looking for the plug and I find a chewed up piece of metal. I sadly cannot purchase a new plug right now, and my computer's battery is out. I'm at my public library.

Also, I discovered this promising "small business" film company called Mirror Entertainment. It looks really promising: http://www.mirrorente

Tanhì Tireafya'o

I hope it'll be there in e-book format. As soon as it is, I'll get it.

Son of The Eastern Sea Ikran Tribe

Pandora, is all our earth could have been

Txura Tirea

This is the best Avatar book out there, it's awesome if you want to know more about the world of Avatar.  :D
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much." - Dr. Grace Augustine

Nawman

Oh crap =( Unfortunately it is hardly possible  to order this book in my country...  :(

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Txur Taronyu on January 07, 2010, 12:07:32 AM

I am reading the book, a little each day, and despite errors I find it to be an invaluable resource.

It has deepened my knowledge of the Na'vi. It has filled in so much missing information, including the dreadful state the Earth is in. Did you notice the constant assault on the public of images of bikini-clad girls--even in the brackish gloom of post techo-industrial wasteland? The marketing never ceases: "Forget the joke your life is! Hot girls are waiting for you!" Bah! It's no different than current late-night cable TV. It's like they have such a "consumer-driven economy" mentality on Earth that Pandora is causing near riots with the promise of a "Fantasy Island" (1980's TV show that started off great and quickly went weird).

The guide doesn't make me sad for Earth. Humans chose their leaders and their vices. They avoided responsibility by continually blaming "others" and passing the costs on to future generations. Now an invasion of Pandora has got to be imminent. This book fleshes out so much--and has such amazing Na'vi terms (I have already noticed errors in our spelling).

The mistakes that are in the book seem to me to be either differences in the final script, or purposefully included in a "non-authorized" document (in an "in character--this is what we know" kind of way). The RDA corporate briefing on Pandora will undoubtedly have a different p.o.v. Reading this book has inspired me (but not to the point of actual effort yet) to create an "anarchist's guide," a REAL slap in the face to the RDA, with even more rants against the corporate expansionsism that is merely a "publicly owned" rehashing of colonialism and feudal territorial pissings.

um . . . needless to say, I am really loving this book :)

I also want to read the old script that is floating about online. I have skimmed through it, and it has a TON of information on the Na'vi, but it has to be taken as speculative--but it really helps broaden an awareness of the Na'vi sociologically--and it has some funny points. No new lingo though. This looks to be all pre-Fromer. I don't know if it is officially "Project 880" as it is only 114 pages long (about 2 hours).

Rant rant rant--I like the book. I hope everyone gets a chance to read it.

2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

wm.annis

For everyone interested in the Na'vi language, it is a valuable resource.

It was also clearly rushed to publication carelessly.  There are plenty of idiotic editing problems, which gives us cause to be a little suspicious of the Na'vi dictionary added as an afterthought as an appendix.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: wm.annis on January 09, 2010, 12:53:19 PM
For everyone interested in the Na'vi language, it is a valuable resource.

It was also clearly rushed to publication carelessly.  There are plenty of idiotic editing problems, which gives us cause to be a little suspicious of the Na'vi dictionary added as an afterthought as an appendix.

Yes--but it is still "official," (until we publicly call them out on it  ;))
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Technowraith

Quote from: Txur Taronyu on January 07, 2010, 12:07:32 AM

I would definitely recommend this book.

This book has "character" to it. By that i mean this book, as it was written, contains a few typos here and there. The nature of the book itself is why. If you haven't purchased the book yet, the following is put in a spoiler warning.

The book is an exceptional trove of information. There is a lot about Na'vi custom, and more stuff about Pandora than you can ever imagine. I love the book personally and would recommend it to anyone who wished to have an in-depth source of data about the world of Avatar.

The Na'vi vocabulary dump at the end of the book is the list of known words at the time of the book's publishing. The known errors in na'vi within the ASG are due to the changes made to the language since the book's publication. Na'vi is still evolving, so what we all know now could easily change. Most of the words in the na'vi dictionary in the back are very similar to or match the words here on learnnavi's vocabulary compilation. Again, be mindful that na'vi is changing as we learn it. Until the "final canon" form is released, what we know could easily change.

See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

'Awve Tìkameie

I'm currently creating a Pandora Handbook similar to Avatar: An Activist's Survival Guide for LearnNavi users. To see the preview, go to the Projects and resource page of the forum and look for [The Pandora Handbook].

Note: I'm sorry that there isn't a link, I'm on my iTouch currently.
Note: Don't worry, I worked out the copywrite issues.

Tsu'roen

The book is a good addition to the movie though it has it's flaws. It definitely feels a little rushed and is pretty vague in some areas. Kind of like the didn't want to tell too much or didn't know enough at the time.

Quote from: Marvel on January 08, 2010, 05:17:48 PM
Oh crap =( Unfortunately it is hardly possible  to order this book in my country...  :(
Have you tried Amazon? As long as you pay with credit card they ship pretty much everywhere.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

guest2859

I've had it for about half a month now. I'm glad it has a dictionary in the back, but it's ordered by Na'vi only and doesn't explain the language, just has words.

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Arcringno on February 06, 2010, 10:24:14 PM
... just has words.
and many Na'vi words or plant and animal names in it contaiin illegal sounds or violate Frommer's rules in another way. So be careful.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

Back when this was first released I almost immediately ordered it on Amazon, but decided to check it out at my local bookseller first and possibly pick up a copy for a friend's birthday. I'm glad I did, as I feel it barely worth the $10 on Amazon and certainly not the $17.99 list price. I did not like the hurried feel and sloppiness of it at all. As an avid bibliophile I can say it just simply didn't sit right.

Now, I'll eventually pick up a copy, merely out of loyalty to the franchise, and because without it there would be a glaring hole in my collection of sci-fi/fantasy film companion books, but honestly, what I wanted out of it I could get by browsing through it in the store. I also took a look at the Art of Avatar, and again was left unimpressed. For a near $30 book supposedly showing off one of the most visually lush films made for mass-market, it is staggeringly slim.

In both instances I will wait for a more substantive technical manual and/or making-of book, as I assume one or more will be made. It would be shameful to let the print legacy of Avatar rest with these tossed-together bits.

Nawm Karyu

Quote from: Ayfa'liyä omumyu on February 07, 2010, 01:06:24 AM
snip

I totally agree with this: the art in the ASG sometimes leaves for things to be desired, and there are some little errors here and there that don't always look as if they were rushed intentional typos. But as I've never let such nitpicks ruin an experience, I found it to be an excellent aid in understanding the Na'vi, Pandora, the RDA and the situation on Earth. It is great stuff for discussions on this forum and adds to the overall experience. Sure, I'd like there to be another similar book or guide, and since I believe the ASG was designed with the expectation before the movie (meaning that it would be a flop and not a record breaking blockbuster hit) we will most likely get some more stuff.

Tsu'roen

Somebody mentioned the rushed feel and sometimes faulty info was intentional as it is supposed to be information stolen from the RDA.

The real thing is James Cameron's Pandorapedia that contains pretty much everything to know about Pandora, the Na'vi and the plot lines. It is meant as a guide for the franchise so that other authors can cover books, graphic novel and so on ... without derailing the plot, giving up the plot of the sequels, or create inconsistencies.
We need to wait and see if and how much of it gets released to the public.

Eyamsiyu

Regardless, please read the following, as it will help aid in learning about Pandora through the ASG:

I all seriousness, though, whether it was rushed or not, they still had a substantial amount in that book, and it is totally worth getting and reading.  I give it 4 stars.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Autakuk'Ekong on February 07, 2010, 02:38:32 PM
Regardless, please read the following, as it will help aid in learning about Pandora through the ASG:
I all seriousness, though, whether it was rushed or not, they still had a substantial amount in that book, and it is totally worth getting and reading.  I give it 4 stars.

I heart you. Let's be friends. (translation: hahahahaha!---3 minutes later---hee hee, chuckle, snicker)

I LOVE my ASG. Without it we would not have the sense of community we do, and a LOT of "canon" points to argue. I am all for old scripts, but what made it in to the movie and official books (mistakes of not) takes precedence--as long as we get to blame FOX for any screw ups.

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 07, 2010, 02:47:24 PM
I heart you. Let's be friends. (translation: hahahahaha!---3 minutes later---hee hee, chuckle, snicker)

Sure, if you want to, that's fine: I'm in the Facebook forums, though the pic I describe is probably incorrect.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tsa'räni

Just voted, gave it 4 stars.  It's a great book if you are really into Avatar.  It would be nice if there was more info, some of the mistakes weren't there (whether intentional or not, it's just off putting to me), and so on.  But I expect a more complete resource will be made available at some point.