Book adaptation of the movie

Started by Sa'vitri, January 12, 2010, 11:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tsu'roen on February 28, 2010, 04:27:18 PM
JC definitely needs to write the story. But I think nobody would mind if a good and experienced author gives him a little help with style and structure ...
I mean to write a screen play (script) and writing a novel are two very different things in style and content.

A good ghost writer goes completely unnoticed ;)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Sa'vitri

I would hope that he turns it over to a VERY good and descriptive sci-fi writer.  Pandora is a world that can be expanded and explored even beyond the movies that will/should come.  600 to 700 pages of Avatar reading is what I'm waiting for.  Now who would be good candidate authors beyond Cameron?
You have a strong heart....BUT STUPID LIKE A CHILD!

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Ahh, you see, THAT is where the real money begins.

JC writes the official "first book" and every contracted author after that follows the core storyline and the facts in the Pandorapedia. I am betting money that JC knows exactly what he is doing, and anticipates hundreds of Na'vi/RDA novels to come out over the next few decades.

:)

He is not thinking "novel." He is thinking "empire." You see he is creating the new Star Trek, the new Star Wars. This series should outlive him and go on to be TV shows, films, books, toys, tee shirts (hint) . . .

2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 01, 2010, 10:24:48 AM
Ahh, you see, THAT is where the real money begins.

JC writes the official "first book" and every contracted author after that follows the core storyline and the facts in the Pandorapedia. I am betting money that JC knows exactly what he is doing, and anticipates hundreds of Na'vi/RDA novels to come out over the next few decades.

:)

He is not thinking "novel." He is thinking "empire." You see he is creating the new Star Trek, the new Star Wars. This series should outlive him and go on to be TV shows, films, books, toys, tee shirts (hint) . . .

I don't mind most of those things, but the TV show must be a specific type, preferably like the show Monk.  See, in each individual show, there is a story that involves one case that Monk must solve, but throughout the whole 8 seasons, Monk is trying to solve the case behind his wife's murder.

So, small plots within an overall plot.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Autakuk'Ekong on March 01, 2010, 10:50:09 AM
I don't mind most of those things, but the TV show must be a specific type, preferably like the show Monk.  See, in each individual show, there is a story that involves one case that Monk must solve, but throughout the whole 8 seasons, Monk is trying to solve the case behind his wife's murder.

Monk wasn't too good with the overall story arch. Only the last two episodes were actually about solving his wife's murder.
Then I rather have it like Babylon 5 where pretty much every single episode was a vital part of the bigger concept.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Eyamsiyu

I never said Monk was good at it, but dedicated viewers knew it was there.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Susan Delgado

I'd really really would love to read it in a book format...

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Up until a week ago, I had thought the novel JC is writing was going to be just that.

Letxepa tirea

Quote from: Tsu'roen on March 01, 2010, 06:16:35 PM
Quote from: Autakuk'Ekong on March 01, 2010, 10:50:09 AM

Monk wasn't too good with the overall story arch. Only the last two episodes were actually about solving his wife's murder.
Then I rather have it like Babylon 5 where pretty much every single episode was a vital part of the bigger concept.

How about the new(ish) BSG? It did a great job with both overall story, single episodic story arches, as well as romance sub-plots.

Its one of my favorite sci-fi series of all time.

Oe zola'u, Oe tsole'a, Oe skola'a

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 20, 2010, 02:10:23 PM
Up until a week ago, I had thought the novel JC is writing was going to be just that.

As long as he doesn't fly off the script with the novel. But I suppose its a good thing he's writing the novel after the movie, because book first, movie second series usually don't work out that good.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Sa'vitri

An even more elaborate idea is he he wrote it for the IPAD which would allow some interactive content (music, photos, video).   This is currently being done for the Ipad with the novel, Dracula.
You have a strong heart....BUT STUPID LIKE A CHILD!

Jake_Sully_1

Hi all

I *very* much hope JC writes the book himself.
Why?
The story is so damned good. There is so much quirky, amazing, awesome and interesting stuff in it, truly, I have this huge respect for JC. For the respect that he has. I *really* want learn more about the man who has such great ideas. And for that, I accept nothing but the original! The truth! I want the *FULL STORY* by the authentic source himself, Mr. James Cameron!!!!!
:) :) :)
- To me, the possibly slightly diminished quality of layout, etc. due to JC being a first-time novel writer is absolutely negligible compared to the importance that the book *must* absolutely must be written by the man himself. (I agree with Kaltxì Palulukan on this!)
Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 28, 2010, 12:30:35 PM
I have to humbly disagree. No one knows Avatar like JC. This has been stomping around inside his head to a few decades now. As an author I know the process, especially when you complete something in spurts. You get started and something stops you, and you have to put it away, but it haunts you, for years, in bits and pieces; and you find other people doing things that are frighteningly similar to ideas you have been sitting on for so long. You NEED to get them out, and no matter how you try to explain them to other people, they don't quite see YOUR vision. As much as I want A2, and even A3, T5 comes first, and maybe even one or two other movies. So there is no way that A2 will come any time soon. It may be alo because A2 may be drastically different from Avatar. It may have always meant to be RDA centered (no one expected it to be the #1 movie of everdom). It is possible the Na'vi have hijacked what was supposed to be a human trilogy. Imagine Aliens in reverse: Humans go to a different planet (moon) but instead of being the good guys (See: Alien, Aliens, Terminator, T2 <--best movie everrrrr! until Avatar that is), maybe WE are the bad guys. Maybe WE are Darth Vader (as in Star Wars was really "all about the rise and fall of Darth Vader").

Maybe, just maybe the Na'vi have overpowered the trilogy--or perhaps JC planned this all along and now he wants to make us wait. (I wish I were smarter--then I would know everything! :) )

My personal wishes for the novel(s) are:

1.) That JC leaves the very *tough*, but thus very *real* scene (in a symbolic sense of what people do to others!!) of the queue-cutting on Tsu'tey of the awesome 2007 script in the novel!

2.) I hope JC writes not one, but three books of the events so far. In my eyes, AVATAR is *very* much like the Lord of the Rings of JR Tolkien. - In the regard of potential. It's such an *EPIC* story!
Think about it, the fate of an ENTIRE WORLD hangs on a thread. And by the end, the great evil is overcome, just like in LTR. This is so epic, no matter WHAT AVATAR 2 or 3 might be about, this AWESOME EPICNESS of the first and original (complete within itself!) story of the original AVATAR can never be reached, added upon or improved any more. [Personally, to me, that speaks strongly against continuing the story of AVATAR after the events we have seen so far. The great story is finished in the end of the AVATAR we have seen so far in my eyes. Of course the people live on, but I think the great epic battle and story is simply over.]
I am convinced thought, that the full story, with all the details fleshed out, up to the point where AVATAR, the current movie we have seen so far ends, could easily fill 3 wonderful and awesome books. Just like LTR.

Greetings,
Mark

Eyamsiyu

The one thing that I'm really hoping for is that he tries to model after Tolkien's writing in that he describes locations, expression, etc. very well.  Granted, I wouldn't want it to be as long winded as Tolkien, but the idea of the descriptive details is there.

Human No More

I'd rather it be as long as possible :P
I love long books.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ekirä

Quote from: Human No More on November 17, 2010, 04:58:33 PM
I'd rather it be as long as possible :P
I love long books.

Especially long books about Pandora.... ::)

Niwantaw

600+ pages or it isn't a book. It's a pamphlet.

/uberfast reader.
Only mostly AWOL.

Eana Unil

I'd prefer a comic adaptation. But only because I'm more into visual things than reading.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tawtewng on November 17, 2010, 06:21:31 PM
uberfast reader.

...who might need to reread his books if he's bored with his books ::)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Niwantaw

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on November 17, 2010, 11:26:23 PM
uberfast reader.

...who might need to reread his books if he's bored with his books ::)

You have no idea of how many times some of those books have been read...
Only mostly AWOL.

Txantslusam Skxawng

600+ pages or it isn't a book. It's a pamphlet.

/uberfast reader.
So you read in telegram style or what? And the fastest I can read is 50 pages an hour... and that is if I like the book.
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF